PDA

View Full Version : I did it!!

supra97
02-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I changed my valve cover gasket by myself. :) Thanks to the awesome instructions from you guys, the BGB, and the list of tools I was given, I was able to dive in and do something I've never done before.

Sorry if I sound like a complete retard for being excited about this, but the most I've ever done is change oil, wipers, and air filters. This was the first complicated repair I've ever done on a car. I had some help from my dad, he supplied the tools I didn't have and just helped me loosen a few bolts that had never been moved before, but other than that I did it myself.

I'm pretty darn proud right now ^_^. Thanks for the help again!

(Now comes the distributor O ring seal, any tips?)

EDIT: I can now say I'm like the only girl I know who likes cars and can actually do something under the hood... ^_^

Hookecho
02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
woot woot! girls working on cars is the hotness.

2kSnakEater
02-26-2007, 03:34 PM
pics of you working on the car or ban!

Hookecho
02-26-2007, 03:36 PM
yes please!

supra97
02-26-2007, 03:53 PM
lmao

I'm sorry guys I don't have any from yesterday, besides I was all bundled up in a jacket and grubby clothes for working on the car. Next time I'll be sure to get one so I don't get banned.

:bigthumbu

zmile06
02-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Picture of a friend changing a head gaskets:) PS she used to be a stripper lol.

http://myspace-214.vo.llnwd.net/00992/41/21/992481214_l.jpg

NDMstang65
02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
hahaha nice!

...those are hard to come by...i've yet to find one :)

supra97
02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
The boyfriend loves it, he's also a big gamer and I play games with him all the time. I also enjoy working with computers, taking them apart, fiddling with them and such. He thinks he has a catch...

Me, I just like what I like. I'm just not a girly girl so much in my interests. I look like a girly girl though. 'Cept when I'm dirty and taking my car apart :D.

NDMstang65
02-26-2007, 09:47 PM
shit i'd love it too..the girls around here know little to nothing about cars...other then how to put gas in them...and believe it or not some of them dont even know that :(

zmile06
02-26-2007, 09:59 PM
The boyfriend loves it, he's also a big gamer and I play games with him all the time. I also enjoy working with computers, taking them apart, fiddling with them and such. He thinks he has a catch...

Me, I just like what I like. I'm just not a girly girl so much in my interests. I look like a girly girl though. 'Cept when I'm dirty and taking my car apart :D.
Have a sister around 20 :-/

MCcelica
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Congrats on the first major repair. Always feels good. For myself, I haven't done my valve cover gasket yet, but that'll be done along with the head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, and the entire assortment of o-rings and seals. Woot for spring break! Looks like your sig is the perfect description of you too. It's not every day when a girl even knows what a valve cover gasket IS, let alone it's general vicinity.

supra97
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Heh...I didn't know what it was two or three weeks ago *sheepish* but I suppose it counts that I do now, and I will, as time progresses, learn all the parts of my car. I don't want to have to pay some guy to fix it all the time, when I could just learn to do it myself.

Why own such an awesome machine and know nothing about how it works inside?

supra97
02-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Ooo and no sister...just a brother. Sorry. I'll keep you guys in mind if I ever become single :) lmao

hobbie2k
02-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Congratulations!

grayscale
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
We need more women like you in the world! :bowdown:

Hookecho
02-26-2007, 11:03 PM
^^then they wouldn't need us.

DarkSideCelica
02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
We need more women like you in the world! :bowdown:

amen to tht.... good job girl :bigthumbu

supra97
02-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys! *Pride + ego boost*

burnyd
02-27-2007, 03:50 AM
I have like so many problems with my mr2.. I need help.. my motor is in the rear though :D

Ajilon
02-27-2007, 05:52 AM
^^then they wouldn't need us.

sure we would. who else is going to take out the trash? :lolhittin

andy
02-27-2007, 06:03 AM
I think my valve cover is leaking also, could you perhaps have a look at it?

burnyd
02-27-2007, 06:05 AM
can I change her oil?

MCcelica
02-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Heh...I didn't know what it was two or three weeks ago *sheepish* but I suppose it counts that I do now, and I will, as time progresses, learn all the parts of my car. I don't want to have to pay some guy to fix it all the time, when I could just learn to do it myself.

Why own such an awesome machine and know nothing about how it works inside?

Only way to learn is to do it. But your reasoning is sound. It's the same reasoning I first used when I started learning about my car. Prettymuch "Im a cheapass who doesn't wanna pay some yoko to fix my car". Started like that, then progressed into "Every car I get I'm going to take it all apart with my own hands and put it back together so I know how everything works."

Ya done good. Now you should just go out and get all greasy on your car and snap some pics just for the hell of it.

supra97
02-27-2007, 02:36 PM
*rolls eyes at all above comments*

Almost sounds like I have no choice lol

andy
02-27-2007, 05:02 PM
correct! now do you wanna get at the valve cover from the bottem or the top? :hehe:

MCcelica
02-27-2007, 05:06 PM
*rolls eyes at all above comments*

Almost sounds like I have no choice lol

Of course you do. You have the choice of what to wear, if anything, you have the choice of how dirty to get etc. :lolhittin

Trance4c
02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Amazing turn of direction that I did not see coming in this thread!

:squint:

Bunch of pervs

Ajilon
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
oh hell! I saw it coming as soon as she posted!

You're right though.... bunch of pervs. Especially Burnyd :hehe:

nuclearhappines
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
i remeber doing my valve cover gasket :)

you're in trouble, i think you have a turbo install, a couple of motor rebuilds, and a tranny rebuild in your future

once you start wrenching, you can never stop

welcome to the wrenchers

supra97
02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Transmission rebuild...that sounds scary. I heard they're complicated. I've wanted to do a manual swap into my car though, but it all comes down to cash and complexity. If it's too hard for a newb to attempt, I'm gonna want help with something like that to be sure I don't royally screw my car up.

And wow guys, you're like a pack of starved animals. Don't any of you get laid?

Berg
02-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I only started playing with engines because there were a couple of hot ladies taking mechanics in high school. That just taught me some of the basics.

I remeber rebuilding my first motor, it was a Toyota 2S-E. I was proud just being able to pull it out and apart. The only way to learn is to muck in and just start doing it. And there are no better cars to do it on than Celica's. I have found them to be designed well enough to take apart and fix in a fairly straightforward fashion.

You should be proud, how many people look under the hood and say "I'm going to fix that"? Most people I know just say "I dont know what it is and I dont wanna break it, so I'll pay someone else to do it".

As for the ladies wrenching, no prejudice here. I know a couple of women who can wrench circles around me!

Cheers,
Berg

Hookecho
02-27-2007, 06:56 PM
if you're going to work on cars then start buying yourself some good tools.

zmile06
02-27-2007, 07:11 PM
if you're going to work on cars then start buying yourself some good tools.
I'm a good tool:)

Hookecho
02-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm a good tool:)

:eek:

supra97
02-27-2007, 09:51 PM
I've already started buying some tools, but I don't make bundles of money either. It's kind of a catch-22...I don't want to spend the money to have a mechanic repair my car but I need the tools to do it myself. Either way...once I have the tools and expertise I don't need to pay for it again so that seems the smart way to go.

I really do enjoy working on my car, someone at work asked me if I did it because I was trying to attract attention. Now that I see all the responses here I understand why...but no, that's really not it. If I wanted attention I probably would have just left it at oil changes and air filter replacements...that's pretty unusual for a girl by itself I guess.

What a loser. He probably doesn't know his engine from his transmission :D. :squint:

burnyd
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
oh hell! I saw it coming as soon as she posted!

You're right though.... bunch of pervs. Especially Burnyd :hehe:

welcome to my signature!

MCcelica
02-28-2007, 02:06 AM
once you start wrenching, you can never stop

TROOF!

Cavanagh
02-28-2007, 03:22 AM
shit i'd love it too..the girls around here know little to nothing about cars...other then how to put gas in them...and believe it or not some of them dont even know that :(
Worrrrd.

90celicaGTX
02-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Any one notice how many hits this thing got not even in one day....

has all the right compnets for a good story......

haha

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-28-2007, 04:35 AM
hooray for girls who work on cars....and look good! ha...