PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts wearing away???....

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-25-2007, 02:15 AM
my g/f just told me that her friends boyfriend told her that on automatic cars, before you put it in park, its good to put on parking brake before you put it in park because if not, you will mess up motor mounts...is this true?..has anyone heard of this??.....and motor mounts are the same thing as engine mounts??...

2kSnakEater
02-25-2007, 03:05 AM
I wouldnt trust your G/F's friend's B/F with my legos.

Ajilon
02-25-2007, 03:09 AM
That's a new one! I've never heard of that. Yes, engine mounts are the same thing as motor mounts and it's pretty hard to mess them up.

my76gt
02-25-2007, 03:10 AM
I've never heard of that before, my dad drives an automatic and it doen't put any more wear on the mounts than normal. and yes, motor mounts are the same thing as engine mounts.

zmile06
02-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Tell that guy hes retarded, engine/motor mounts get bad after a LONG time of use. My sisters tempo has 800k miles and they are just now starting to go out. You can usualy tell if there going bad by noise or when you shift in an automatic the engine will move more then its supose to lol.

Anyways engine mounts are pretty tough and putting on the E-brake isnt going to do shit to stop wear. The engine goes thru the same motions and the e-brake just puts on the brakes...

Ajilon
02-25-2007, 03:20 AM
You can usualy tell if there going bad by noise or when you shift in an automatic the engine will move more then its supose to lol.

Or the car will vibrate to beat hell and back!
The mounts are bad in my GTS. Dead giveaway that they're shot is the cabin will vibrate horribly.

Some people should not be allowed to own cars. There's little connection between the brakes and the engine. Brakes stop wheels from moving.

Melchior
02-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Actually...

There is some truth to that. It will impact a lot of parts in a more aggressive manner before the mounts, so it's odd to say that, but it will certainly not help the mounts either.

It's true (even most owners manuals will say this) that you're supposed to go into Neutral first, set hand brake, then go into park. If you've ever had trouble getting a car our of park, as in it's really stiff, it's because of not doing this.

What 90% of drivers do when they stop, (even on level ground), is stop the car via the brake pedal before the car is actually settled. Nothing wrong there. Then they put the car in park, and let go of the pedal. The car settles, and then with the car no longer moving they set the hand brake. That creates the problem. When you place the tranny in park, there is a "park mechanism" that basically jams the transmission preventing movement. This piece, while designed to assist in keeping the car from moving, is not designed to bear the full weight of the car, and do all the work byitself. It's just to stop the transmission from moving. So, you engage this and then release the brakes, so gravity tries to move the car, now that the brakes are off. However, there is something blocking this, and because you haven't set the hand brake yet, it's the park lock. You can imagine now, the entire weight of the car is being blocked via that mechanism in your tranny. By doing it the way suggested, you settle the cars weight on the brake system first, then the tranny doesn't take stress. Try it, you'll notice it's much easier to shift out of park when you start up.

I've seen a case where this was done on a hill facing downwards, and the car WOULD NOT come out of park from the shifter. To fix it we had to push in the opposite direction of gravity (up the hill) a little bit to take some stress off the park brake.

That all said, the only way that can hurt your motor mounts is the tranny/engine lurch pretty hard in some cars when that happens, but as you can imagine a lot of other things get hurt first, so he's not "wrong' persay, just being obscure. Also, most newer high end autos, like Benz and Audi, have a really strong mechanism that is designed for this, because most people can't drive properly, so they had to cater to it. But in most cars, even the ones you buy today, it still works that way.

Futant3
02-25-2007, 04:31 AM
^^ Beat me to it

It's an extremely round about way to get to messing up motor mounts. Like he said lots of other things to break first, like the tranny. My old 35th anniv. T-bird had a beefed up auto tranny that settled pretty hard if you didn't use the brake first.

The advice is good but the reason is obscure.

VikingJZ
02-25-2007, 05:08 AM
They're very expensive though.

Both parts and labor.

I hope I can hold on enough to get them when I swap my engine.

Hookecho
02-25-2007, 12:35 PM
i heard if you bust a gangsta lean your car will respect you and never break down.

extremeskillz
02-25-2007, 02:32 PM
even though I never heard this theory, ever since i started driving I always parked my car using the e-brake first while the car is in neutral then put it in park for the reason of not jaming the transmission when it came time to leave again, especially on hills. Always done it. Ive had my car since senior year in high school and no issue to date. Motor mounts will wear regardless of what you do.

Word to the wise Chris, your friends are dumbasses :hehe:

A lot of new automatic cars now-a-days have e-brakes that are optional. So what about them? Those park right on the settled transmission. Like I said this theory is rediculous.

hobbie2k
02-25-2007, 04:30 PM
The problem is that you're settling the car's weight on the tranny, as mentioned. As such, it doesn't actually matter when you apply the parking brake, as long as you do it before the car settles. So if you stop on a hill with the regular brake, then shift to park while continuing to hold the brake pedal, then put on the parking brake and release the pedal, the result will be the same as applying the parking brake before shifting to park.

I do this on hills, but I don't use the parking brake when on level ground, and here's why. Most parking brakes are cable actuated. The more you use your parking brake, the more the cable stretches, the less effective it becomes. This is especially bad in climates that feature dramatic temperature changes between seasons. Thermal expansion causes the cable to get shorter in the winter time, so it will stretch that much more. Then, when summer comes along the cable gets longer, possibly too long, and then the brake doesn't work anymore, and your car rolls down the hill.

Maybe it's not so much an issue with newer cars, but it was a problem with older ones (especially those with pedal operated parking brakes). That's why I don't use the parking brake unless I'm on an incline. If you're on level ground and you just shift to park and let the tranny hold it, it's not gonna seriously hurt anything. The rest of your tranny will wear out long before the park pin does. It's if you park on an incline and keep dropping the car onto the pin that gives you problems.

Melchior
02-25-2007, 07:03 PM
A lot of new automatic cars now-a-days have e-brakes that are optional. So what about them? Those park right on the settled transmission. Like I said this theory is rediculous.

I mentioned that in my post; they are designed to take that stress if they don't have a hand brake.

As such, it doesn't actually matter when you apply the parking brake, as long as you do it before the car settles.

Actually it's the opposite; you have to set the parking brake *after* the car settles, or else the brakes will be holding the car up for the park gear, meaning when you release them then park gear is holds it up.

Fuelish
02-25-2007, 07:09 PM
. The rest of your tranny will wear out long before the park pin does. It's if you park on an incline and keep dropping the car onto the pin that gives you problems. Dunno...have heard of the pin being broken when a parked/unbraked car is "bumped" by another car. then, you have 2 neutrals ;) Could be fact, could be fiction, but I always use the p-brake, irregardless.

hobbie2k
02-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Actually it's the opposite; you have to set the parking brake *after* the car settles, or else the brakes will be holding the car up for the park gear, meaning when you release them then park gear is holds it up.

Huh? As I understood it, the point is that you want the brake to be holding the car, not the tranny. If you wait till after the car settles, then it will already be being held by the tranny, so the point is moot...

Dunno...have heard of the pin being broken when a parked/unbraked car is "bumped" by another car. then, you have 2 neutrals ;) Could be fact, could be fiction, but I always use the p-brake, irregardless.

If you get bumped, the car will move even if the brake is on, so you still risk breaking your park pin. I'd rather take my chances on that than risk not having a parking brake when I need it.

On roughly the same note, what do all the manual tranny drivers here do? I always leave the car in gear when parked and only use the parking brake when on an incline.

Melchior
02-26-2007, 04:44 AM
Huh? As I understood it, the point is that you want the brake to be holding the car, not the tranny. If you wait till after the car settles, then it will already be being held by the tranny, so the point is moot...

You want the car to settle onto the hand brake first, then apply the park. Hand brake - release foot brake - car settles - park. I think we're just mixing terms. When i say parking brake, i mean the transmission Park gear. I know the hand brake is often called the parking brake as well. Sorry for the confusion.

Ajilon
02-26-2007, 12:48 PM
On roughly the same note, what do all the manual tranny drivers here do? I always leave the car in gear when parked and only use the parking brake when on an incline.

I do both. turn off car, apply hand brake, put in first. That way if the hand brake fails, I have a backup.

Hookecho
02-26-2007, 02:15 PM
i only use the parking brake if i'm on an incline. as for a m/t i use it everytime i park.

alltracman78
02-27-2007, 01:45 AM

I just leave it in N.
If it rolls and hits someone, it's thier fault. They shouldn't have parked in my way.