PDA

View Full Version : i bought another car this morning..

Hookecho
02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
and it's a silver 90 celica st with 127,000 miles. wooty woot! i gave $50 for it and drove it home. it has a salvage title but the car is sound. it needs a front bumper, radiator support, headlight assembly, and a new hood. i already have the bumper and support.

my plan is to fix it up and let my wife use it as a daily for going back and forth to school everyday. i just paid off her 03' 626 and i don't want her racking up the miles on it anymore. her car already has 90k mile on it.

i'd post pics but we all know what it looks like anyway.

2kSnakEater
02-23-2007, 03:55 PM
$50 is a good deal! good job on that score.

Slider
02-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Awesome deal. I was always curious how salvage titles are handled. Do you have to get it inspected once you fix it so it's deemed road worthy again and you can get a rebuilt title?

T-spoon
02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Why don't you drive the junker and let your wife drive your celica?

VikingJZ
02-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Why would he do that?

If I had a nicer Celica, I wouldn't do that.

T-spoon
02-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Why would he do that?

If I had a nicer Celica, I wouldn't do that.

Because I love my wife and wouldn't have her driving the salvaged car? Then again, I wouldn't let a perfectly good car sit and rot to daily drive salvage in the first place, but to each their own I guess.

TheNefariousOne
02-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Because I love my wife and wouldn't have her driving the salvaged car? Then again, I wouldn't let a perfectly good car sit and rot to daily drive salvage in the first place, but to each their own I guess.

Yea I was thinking the same thing...about the good car vs shitty car. What's the point in buying it if you're not gonna drive it?

celicatrd93
02-23-2007, 06:33 PM
your wife would not want to be seen in your celica, she probably would rather drive the salvage st then the primer celica. let her drive the 626 rather then the celica, if you have a new car drive that instead of the wrecked celica. then what is the point of haveing a new car just to sit arond, wrecked old salvage celicas are good project cars. if you have a new car why would you let her drive a 50 dollar wrecked salvage celica.

zmile06
02-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Jeesh guys calm down. There is nothing wrong with driving a salvaged celica... He has to repair it and the highway patrol has to deem it road worthy. Then he gets a rebuilt salvage title, and he can drive it the mexico if he wants.

The point of having his wife drive the salvage celica is so her NEW car is kept in amazing condition. I agree cars are ment to be driven but if i had a new car i wouldnt want to drive it unless i had to so i could keep it in mint condition.

A nice rebuilt celica is still a celica, it might even be better then some clean title celicas who have rusted parts on them.

T-spoon
02-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Jeesh guys calm down. There is nothing wrong with driving a salvaged celica... He has to repair it and the highway patrol has to deem it road worthy. Then he gets a rebuilt salvage title, and he can drive it the mexico if he wants.

The point of having his wife drive the salvage celica is so her NEW car is kept in amazing condition. I agree cars are ment to be driven but if i had a new car i wouldnt want to drive it unless i had to so i could keep it in mint condition.

A nice rebuilt celica is still a celica, it might even be better then some clean title celicas who have rusted parts on them.

Well, I don't agree at all. I guess that's ok, but my issue here is that if you want to make the choice to drive a salvage vehicle, make that choice for yourself, don't just tell someone else it's just fine and dandy, let them make an educated decision for themself. I have a friend who was injured and has yet to have his leg, hip and back recover from an accident where he was driving a friend of the family's salvage civic, hit a little rough spot in the road and ended up wrapped around a tree. 1) the car did not react how it was supposed to suspension/handling wise, 2) the body did not react to the impact properly.

You can tell me a rebuilt unibody car is just fine until you're blue in the face, and I will disagree, and it's ok if you don't accept the experience I might have with that, but my point is that it needs to be up to the driver to decide if they want to drive such a car, not a loved one/friend/forum member etc. etc. etc. Therefore I say that I think it would make more sense for HIM to drive the salvage car if he wants to and his wife to drive the uncompromised vehicle.

2kSnakEater
02-23-2007, 09:59 PM
T-Spoon, the car needs a Radiator support, your buddy's civic sounds like it had some MAJOR frame damage and was repaired. Learn a little about body work before you say that all salvaged cars are garbage.

DarkSideCelica
02-23-2007, 10:35 PM
$50? tht's a steal.... parts themselves cost more

zmile06
02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Dude im sorry for your buddy lost, but all im saying is if a salvage car is rebuilt PROPERLY, then it will probable be more safe then some clean title cars.

Any car with MAJOR frame damage probable shouldnt be repaired, unless they reinforced the weak points some how. Ive heard of people cutting parts of the frame and welding a new part in the weak area.

But anyways ive heard of cars being listed as "salvage" for a 10 foot scratch down the side.

And im sure he didnt mean that he was going to FORCE his wife to drive it, hell i would drive the celica. I wish i could find a celica like this for 50 bucks i would repair it and drive it.

T-spoon
02-23-2007, 11:10 PM
*sigh* Nevermind. Do as you please of course..

Snake, you make me laugh. The expert in chassis structure is talking about frame damage on a unibody car. You're funny. :laugh:

grayscale
02-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Damn, that's a helluva steal just to part out. Nice find! :bigthumbu

T-spoon
02-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Damn, that's a helluva steal just to part out. Nice find! :bigthumbu

Which is what I'd do with it.

Hookecho
02-24-2007, 12:14 AM
there is nothing wrong with the structual integrity of the car. a salvage title doesn't = bent the fuck up unibody. this was a buddy's car and i was with him when it was wrecked. an old guy in a old school luv backed into it in the parking lot. the cost to replace the bumper, radiator suport, headlight assembly, hood, paint and labor is alot more than what a 17yr celica with a buck thirty on the odometer is worth. that is why it was totaled.

besides the 626 is in way better shape than the st. my wife has to drive around 80 miles a day between 2 campuses and that is not including all the other running around those women do. she can simply put all those miles on the st and we'll keep the high mileage off the 626. besides the celica is a cool car to her and she likes to shift dem gears.

T-spoon
02-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, that's what I'm talking about, a front end collision that causes the rad support to need to go is different than being backed into at relatively low speed, all the info I've offered is still accurate. That particular car may be fine, you know the history, usually isn't the case with wrecked cars though. I'm just wanting people to be aware of concerns you have to have when dealing with this. This isn't the first thread this has come up in.

Ajilon
02-24-2007, 03:17 AM
I don't know about everywhere else, but here, in Alabama, you'll play hell getting a tag for a salvage car. It's not worth the effort. In very rare circumstances, does Alabama issue a rebuilt title. There's too many safety issues that can and will be overlooked. A car that was involved in a severe impact is never stable, reliable or trustworthy again. My main requirement when buying a car is that the car can never have been involved in a collision.

That's not to say this car isn't salvagable at all. And it very well may be a good find. Not all cars that are titled salvage deserve to be. Some just weren't worth the trouble to the insurance company. Personally, I think cars that are perfectly fixable should be titled something other than salvage. It is very misleading.

celicatrd93
02-24-2007, 04:14 AM
its either a good project car or part car, what do you have to lose you only paid 50 bucks for it. i would make it a project car, maybe gut it out motor swap nice race car or you could make money from it sell the motor and body parts, maybe not worth the hassle of fixing it and spending money and time wile you have a new car, you have one celica to worry about, part it out and with the money you make get your car painted or something new, wheels, headers you can always use more parts on you gts.

celicatrd93
02-24-2007, 04:16 AM
also think about getting it fixed, painted inspected by state then registering it and other small parts like tune up and etc... you are going to be spending money and alot of time, think about it, in the end who cares its your car do want you want to do with it, good luck

Hookecho
02-24-2007, 01:41 PM
when you have a fully equipped shop in your backyard and the experience with vehicles that i do, then something like this car is a cake walk to fix. as far as getting getting the title cleared, well, in MS that is soooo easy. i've done it before. all i have to do is drive it to the MDOT, an inspections officer gives it a quick walkaround, drives the car, and writes you up a release form that you take to the tax assessor's office to get a title and tag.

celicatrd93
02-24-2007, 08:17 PM
do what you gotta do this is your car...

2kSnakEater
02-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, that's what I'm talking about, a front end collision that causes the rad support to need to go is different than being backed into at relatively low speed. :slap:

I dont care if I make you laugh or not, my 92 Celica was involved in a front end collision that required a new Rad support, but NOTHING ELSE WAS DAMAGED. The 2 main frame rails were untouched, and the 2 fender rails had so little damage that you would have to know what you are looking at to tell. Other cars might be different but you have to look at the both sets of rails and make sure that nothing major was damaged, if the rails are bent like in AllTracshoak's case then that car is totaly destroyed and shouldnt be back on the road.