PDA

View Full Version : Hatch interchange ?

Shadowlife25
02-23-2007, 06:51 AM
I was just wondering if it's possible to use a 6th gen hatch on a 5th gen. I keep seeing Carbon Fiber replacement hatches by VIS for the 6th gen and if they were interchangeable that would be an awesome weight savings for my AT.
Thanks,
Mario

andy
02-23-2007, 07:30 AM
nopzor, two completely differnt body styles

Shadowlife25
02-23-2007, 07:39 AM
5th gen hatch and 6th gen hatch. Both hatches. Actually if you have any sort of measurements that would be great. I really am interested in possibly fabbing up even a fiberglass version for the 5th gen. Our rear hatches weigh a ton compared to a fiber or carbon unit. And to stave off any wise-ass comments, I know that about half that weight is the glass itself. Now, ideas?

KoreanJoey
02-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Lexan + fiberglass? It's a rear window I don't think you'd have to worry about it scratching.

hobbie2k
02-23-2007, 01:03 PM
That would be quite a custom piece. Especially since it has to be very rigid in order to keep from flexing when you open the hatch. Or are you thinking of just screwing the hatch and mounting it permanently?

Hookecho
02-23-2007, 01:45 PM
you could always find the hatch off another 5th to mess with. you could probably just replace the glass with lexan and be done with it. if i had a spare hatch skin and shell to copy i could form one up out of .032/.040 aluminum. it wouldn't weigh much at all. being that the shell is stamped i would have to roll form one and run in through a bead roller to form the stiffeners. it would be a fun project. i sometimes make wings, scoops, and hung body panels for some of the race cars/truck around here.

andy
02-23-2007, 05:58 PM
or even a lexan replacement for the glass in the stock hatch would save alot of weight.