PDA

View Full Version : 3S-GE and 3S-GTE

Berg
02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello all. It's been a while.

I have a question concerning parts for the first gen 3S-GE and the first gen 3S-GTE. This is more out of curiosity than anything else. If this has already been posted I appologize, I did do a search but couldnt find an answer to my question.

Parts for the 3S-GE are next to non-existant in terms of aftermarket, yet there is still a market for the 3S-GTE. Will parts for a 3S-GTE fit on a 3S-GE? Things like cam timming pulleys, cams, flywheel. Or are there just enough differences to prevent these from fitting.

Like I said, this is just more for curiosity. I realize that for the parts designed for the 3S-GTE to make power on a 3S-GE the engine would have to be modified to run a turbo (including internals, fuel delivery and such). Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Berg

KoreanJoey
02-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes the parts are interchangeable as far as I know, I'm running a Gen 3 3SGE and running a AASCO 9lbs flywheel for a 3SGTE. 2nd and 3rd gen cams are interchangeable and so are the cam pulleys.

Dan_Q
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Just to back that up, I'll agree.

I've been in the same boat with the rev2 GE motor, nothing much avaliable for it.

So I bought a second hand GTE head for a play / measure up, and cams / pulleys / valves / springs / collets / retainers etc are pretty much identical.

Can't guarantee it for the rev 1 or first gen GE motors, but i reakon theres a very good chance bits will swap across :)

Dan_Q
02-22-2007, 01:52 AM
And also I forgot, on the rev2 the clutch size is different I think- 225 on the GE and larger on the GTE I believe, so I'm not sure the flywheel will bolt across on the rev2.

Doesnt bother me because JUN flywheels are avaliable for the GE on your ebay.com anyway B)

Berg
02-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I always suspected that the first gen engines where very similar. I thought I read somewhere that the 3S-GTE was simply a 3S-GE with different pistons, intake and exhaust, and fuel management (obviously). I remember it saying that the second gen is when the changes (like oil squirters) appeared. This could be wrong or I could be wrong, but thats why I'm asking here. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Berg

KoreanJoey
02-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Well there maybe some changes in the internals (like the oil squirters) but many of the parts should be interchangeable.

Dan_Q
02-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I get a spooky feeling the rods are different in length...... but dont hold me to that. I'm sure i've heard of NA's running GTE pistons so I would assume the drop in CR would be created by either the rod length or a taller block, cos if GTE pistons work in a GE then the crown to pin distance must be the same or similar.

Yup the oil squirters are ony on the GTE, and the head castings are totally different- The inlet ports are gigantic on the GTE to let as much boost through as possible I presume. Even the prettier cam cover off a GTE wont fit a GE. But as I say the valve gear all seems the same.

Again all bove refer to rev2 motors.

KoreanJoey
02-23-2007, 02:07 AM
No no no, the pistons are different from 3SGE to 3SGTE.

Berg
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Looking up the specs on the net I found that the stroke of the engines are the same so it looks like KoreanJoey is correct about the pistons being the difference. As I live in Canada, I unfortunately only get to play with the first gen motors. I believe that I now have the answers I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Berg

Dan_Q
02-27-2007, 02:45 AM
glad your sorted mate :)

koreanjoey> are the rods the same? if so, are the pins the same diameter? IE will GTE rods fit a GE? hope so...........

KoreanJoey
02-27-2007, 02:57 AM
I believe so.

Dan_Q
02-27-2007, 03:21 AM
lovely, cheers :)

Berg
02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, thanks again guys. I don't know if this knowledge would ever be put into practice, but my curiosity is definately satisfied.

Cheers,
Berg