PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash/wax/clean your car?

hyoctane
02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
What's your schedule?

I wash on a weekly basis, and that usually includes a vacuum of the interior, and coating my tires and black plastic with Black Magic.

I wax probably once or twice a month... It's a complete detail job of the interior/exterior. I wish I had more time to do this weekly!

Trance4c
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I wash once a month at best.. wax twice a year. I would DEFINITELY slow down on how much your waxing yo! Instead, get a clay bar and use that regularly. Otherwise your just waxing surface gunk into your paint all the time.. ewwww.

andy
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I think im gonna get a Clayton and use that to wash my cars. I here its the best!

TheNefariousOne
02-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Damn man, I don't think I could be bothered to wash my car that much. Then again, my paintjob is shit currently. :hehe:

Prolly once (well, if) I get a full paint job I'll start washing more often. As it stands now, very little (maybe once) during the winter, and maybe monthly during the summer.

Trance4c
02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I think im gonna get a Clayton and use that to wash my cars. I here its the best!

Thats what they say.. once you go clay.. you never go back :bigthumbu

Hookecho
02-21-2007, 09:31 PM
my wife washes my car twice a month. :hehe:

Ajilon
03-02-2007, 01:56 AM
I wash mine once every few months. Of course, it's kept inside or under cover, so it doesn't get that dirty. As a rule, I never leave trash in my car. I can't stand it when people do that.

85gtsblackman
03-02-2007, 02:26 AM
i need to repaint the gts

ill probally clayton bar the paint this weekend :hehe:

hmmm the truck, ummm it dont really have paint on it so yeah :ugh:

MCcelica
03-02-2007, 02:31 AM
my wife washes my car twice a month. :hehe:

I wish I could trick my lady into washing my car. As it is I dont wash it nearly enough. She'll be gettin new paint in a few years though. In the meantime it's a waste of money washing 'er when I have to park outside in all this snow n crap.

grayscale
03-02-2007, 03:15 AM
my wife washes my car twice a month. :hehe: So what's the tradeoff? :D

extremeskillz
03-02-2007, 07:26 PM
During the summer: once per week full detail, wax twice a month, Full engine detail every week.

Winters: stored away

What do you get is this: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/217751

undecided
03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
i wax it about 4-5 times a year. i dont wash it only when i wax.

Busted
03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I haven't washed my car since I bought it over the summer. I might wash it more once I get paint on it that actually looks good.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
03-23-2007, 10:40 PM
i try to wash mine as much as possible because last summer my uncle put on a 3000 dollar paint job on it and all i have to do is wash it, no need to wax it because of the high quality paint that it is but ya, i live in florida and the pollen is kickin hard here already so i need to start doin it like once a week, technically with the pollen id have to do it every day but...heck no to that ha...I HATE POLLEN!

85gtsblackman
03-24-2007, 11:40 AM
omg i washed my car at work, then drove home 5mins, rinced and dried again, and thid this

turtle wax med grade rubbing compound
3m polish
some high end turtle wax in a shiney green bottle wax.......im outta zymol , and i didnt like the way the simonize looked the last time i used it

car has a mirror finish now cept the hatch cause its spray painted, for now

1990CelicaGT-S
04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I wash the car once a week and try to wax every couple of months. I detail before a meet or something to that effect. I'm just like Ajilon, I can't stand garbage in my car. Theres a guy who works next to me who owns a 92' Vert GT. I was taking a look at it and you couldn't even see the backseat. Damn good condition car though.

Gary
04-11-2007, 03:47 PM
My car parks outside so, cleaning it depends on the weather.
I try to rinse and dry my car every time it gets wet.
Dust it with duster every day that doesn't rain.
If the weather is nice, I rinse and dry it once a week.
I wax it twice a month.
Wash (with soap) + clay bar + wax every 3 months.

Wax: Zymol
Soap: RainX High Foaming Wash Wax
Clay bar: Clay Magic

What you get is this: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=262789#post262789

1990CelicaGT-S
04-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Holy crap Gary, thats amazing! I would have thought that the dusting would scratch your paint over time. Good job!

Gary
04-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Not really. If your paint is clean and have layer(s) of wax on it, it is OK. And make sure it is fine dust, not dirt, sand, etc... :)

grayscale
04-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Ah, I had been wondering about the clay magic brand. Living proof. Thanks. Do you apply the zynol by hand or machine?

extremeskillz
04-12-2007, 03:19 AM
probably by hand from the look of those pics. He uses the same technic i use as well. I do not believe in using the machine, but sometimes they are nice if your arms ache after a while (i still don't use it even so).

Gary
04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
You are correct. I don't believe in using machine as well.
The trick is you should do small area at a time. (1'x1')
Always wax the car it in shade. Paint surface needs to be cool.
Then you need level the wax by misting it with cold water and buff it.
I have been using 100% cotton terry cloth for years.
I use like 3 dozens of them every time I wax the car.
I just change to microfiber and I think it is pretty good.

grayscale
04-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Then you need level the wax by misting it with cold water and buff it..
Could you expand on this a little bit? :D

Gary
04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
This work with Zymol only. I tried this technique with Maguire's NXT and the result was horrible.

After waxing/buffing the car, mist/spray ice cold water on it. Then, use damped clean cotton terry cloth and wipe it in circular motion. Yes, you read it right, circular motion. It will not create swirl if you do it right. Don't use too much pressure! Then follow with dry cotton terry cloth or microfiber. Do small area at a time.

grayscale
04-13-2007, 12:43 AM
What exactly does this do? Sorry for all the ques, I'm trying to learn something new.

Ads28
04-13-2007, 03:28 AM
yeahh ive tried lots of things to try and get rid of ma insane swirl marks but nothin i doo seems to work *shrug* im runnin outta ideas, and energy

Gary
04-13-2007, 04:11 AM
A light spray of cool water will set and level the ingredients in the Zymol. It doesn't work on other waxes though.

PhillyDRFT
04-13-2007, 05:00 AM
In the winter it sometimes gets a light hose down to get the road salt off, but it's an every saturday interior clean and wash when summer weather starts again. A monthly engine detail also.

grayscale
04-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Bought the clay magic today and started a little bit just to see how it works- wow! I've always wondered about them and now I know. Add another task to the list...

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
04-23-2007, 05:13 AM
what is clay magic? what does it do? same thing as wax, taking off scratches and stuff or what?...

Gary
04-23-2007, 05:25 AM
what is clay magic? what does it do? same thing as wax, taking off scratches and stuff or what?...
http://www.claymagic.net/whatisclaymagic.htm

Mr Celica
05-07-2007, 03:24 AM
i try to wash mine as much as possible because last summer my uncle put on a 3000 dollar paint job on it and all i have to do is wash it, no need to wax it because of the high quality paint that it is but ya, i live in florida and the pollen is kickin hard here already so i need to start doin it like once a week, technically with the pollen id have to do it every day but...heck no to that ha...I HATE POLLEN!

dude just because you have a new paintjob doesn't mean you shouldn't wax your car. The wax keeps the shine and protects the clear coat.

anyways... I have a 6 step paint job on my car, that cost about $5g's, with Dupont paint and about 3 coats of Dupont clear coat. I wash my car by hand at least three times a month, and go to the touch free car wash any other time when I am in a hurry. I store my car during the winter, it has been in the family since it was brand new off of the showroom floor, and only driven through 5 winters. Up here in NH theres tons of salt so I want to keep the rust to a minimum. I use Mother's california gold car wash, mothers synthetic wax (goes on so easy and wipes off clean and kicks ass), and armor all interior cleaner and wheel cleaner.
I get comments wherever I go and all the ladies use my ride as a miror. The pictures I take with my shitty digital camera do not do my paint justice... Hey, if it isn't fast, it might as well look good!

extremeskillz
05-07-2007, 03:40 AM
^same here bro but my wash intervals are more often then you. But keep it up and that thing will last forever.

MoralWarfare
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
where did you get the celica painted?

extremeskillz
05-09-2007, 12:43 AM
^Believe it or not its the original paint on the car.

MoralWarfare
05-10-2007, 01:04 AM
i didn't believe it because you said "same here bro" in response to a comment about getting a car painted. I guess I misunderstood.

Paint looks good, especially for Rhode Island :)

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-11-2007, 11:22 PM
dude just because you have a new paintjob doesn't mean you shouldn't wax your car. The wax keeps the shine and protects the clear coat.

I wasnt saying that i never had to wax my car for the rest of my life but it was painted so i wouldnt have to wax the car every month or something just to keep the paint looking clean and not look like it is fading, the paint is made/designed so it wont fade, but i am still going to wax it sometime i just have to find the time to do it...

MoralWarfare
05-13-2007, 03:35 AM
should do it every month anways.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-13-2007, 08:17 AM
ya i just got back home from a week at the beach and my car took a beating sittin in the condo parkin lot so im gonna clean it up and give her a wax for the first time on this paint...sad i know...maybe pics if im up to it....

extremeskillz
05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
i didn't believe it because you said "same here bro" in response to a comment about getting a car painted. I guess I misunderstood.

Paint looks good, especially for Rhode Island :)

sorry man, i was reponding on how often i wash my car. Yea the car is in great shape for RI car because its is strickly a summer car and even so its only coming out to play if its nice out.

Mr Celica
05-13-2007, 06:17 PM
where did you get the celica painted?

painted it myself

92st184
05-15-2007, 08:17 AM
i try to wash mine as much as possible...maybe once or twice during the winter time and twice a month during summer time. usually she stays preety clean.

85gtsblackman
05-19-2007, 02:50 AM
with the excepion of my hatch(spary painted) i detailed my paint and it came out pretty good

but i have a black car so i usally wash it once a week

RyanD
05-28-2007, 03:18 AM
Has anyone every used a Mothers clay bar product? If so, how would you compare it to ClayMagic?

balagast
05-31-2007, 01:42 AM
I like the claymagic ... i use it on my All Trac about once a month. Zymol wax usually after it gets a full clay bar treatment. I've been washing the car off (good rinse and towel dry) every other day with all the pollen lately, seems every time I come outside my car looks all yellow :(

RyanD
05-31-2007, 05:34 AM
I like the claymagic ... i use it on my All Trac about once a month. Zymol wax usually after it gets a full clay bar treatment. I've been washing the car off (good rinse and towel dry) every other day with all the pollen lately, seems every time I come outside my car looks all yellow :(
I hear ya. Where I live there's a lot of construction going on about 500 yards from my house. It's a giant gravel/dirt pit, so it seems impossible to keep the car clean. If it's not the pollen one day, the next it's covered in dirt. I'm fightin' a losing battle here - damn not having a garage in the summer!

Oh by the way, I tried the Mothers product and was greatly impressed. I followed up with a coat of Meguiar's wax and she was looking pretty.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/oilerfan05/DSC05075.jpg

(Terrible lighting, but you get the idea)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/oilerfan05/Celi.jpg

(Better lighting here)

Gary
05-31-2007, 06:04 AM
Wow! that's a clean 4th gen.
That 5th gen wheels look great on your car. :bigthumbu

RyanD
05-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks! :)

Most of the credit should go to SchweizerCeli - I bought the car from him about 3 weeks ago, and before that he kept the car in absolute mint condition. He put a lot of effort into making that car appear/run its finest.