PDA

View Full Version : Outside the "box" SPL Comp thoughts

Schmleff
01-30-2005, 12:19 AM
I felt bad about hijacking others theads with this crap so here is what I am thinking.

Instead of an amp I want to run a 28v aircraft alterantor that has an ac post on it. This post is never used on the aircraft but is still there for testing purposes. That is the first of two reasons to use an aircraft alt, the second being that it is externally regulated. You would have the ability to adjust the output of your system by regulating the field current.

Frequency would be regulated by rpm. I need to find out what method the alternator is wound to determine the exact rpm to turn the thing to make the required frequency.

At 28v alternator run at 100 amps would be 2800 watts, but this can be reduced by adjusting the field current as previously mentioned. To get this output, the speaker system would have to be wired to produce a .28 ohm load.

For that matter, the speaker could be something other than a speaker. It could be a dc motor driving a very large but light carbon fiber sheet, or a series of two of them. The trick would be the suspension of the sheets. of course these sheets would be mounted in a box and that box bandpassed to be as loud as possible at the required frequency.

Thoughts?

Blackcloud
01-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Ive never heard of doing a spl setup using no amp before...

well other then abuse tests by plugging a sub into the wall

Id like to hear how well this could work tho

RubberDuckie
01-31-2005, 12:31 AM
Id be interested