PDA

View Full Version : owning a celica is....

Hookecho
02-20-2007, 04:08 AM
FUN!

yet, if there was one thing you could change about the design what would it be?

i would want all of the controls on the 5th gen steering column and wheel to light up so i could see them at night. tis a pita.

ciento44
02-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Stock radio placement.

Or a smaller diameter steering wheel.

85gtsblackman
02-20-2007, 04:30 AM
my engine needs to be a 5vzfe with an optional 7m

a cupholder would have been nice

adjustible rear camber plates

Shadowlife25
02-20-2007, 04:47 AM
IMO Design flaws are as follows :(5th Gen)
Rain channels are non existent or may as well be, shifter height is too tall (stock), Seat and mirror controls are inconveniently located a bit too high up on the center console area, heated electric mirrors have been around since 1985 on previous Toyotas and would have been nice to offer at least as an option. Toyota should have offered rain guards in the US market and not just Japan.

sloceli
02-20-2007, 04:50 AM
The hole center console and radio to dash area could be better. I would like the shifter moved back 3-4 inches for us tall people. And the most annoying aspect of the 5th gen is the fact that you cant have your window down during the rain unless you want a bath. Other than that there isn't much to complain about with my 17 year old car.

andy
02-20-2007, 05:03 AM
Shifter, rear disks on all models, a much better design on the rear susp. all celicas should be rwd :). Thats about all I can think of.

Shadowlife25
02-20-2007, 05:05 AM
RWD or AWD ftw!

TheNefariousOne
02-20-2007, 05:16 AM
BETTER CUPHOLDER PLACEMENT!

WTF was Toyota thinking with putting cupholders there? You can't put anything in there without either hitting your radio, hitting it with the shifter, or both.

For that matter, has anyone come up with a practical solution to the lack of a useful cupholder in the 5th gens? It really sucks trying to steer, shift, and hold a cup of coffee at the same time... :thumbsdow

Dan_Q
02-20-2007, 05:30 AM
I only ever use the cup holder at car shows, or when stopped, never use it when on the move. It is a bad design unless you have an auto i suppose!

I'd like good brakes as standard, the gen5 is a heavy beast and the stock ones struggle to cope.

TheNefariousOne
02-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Even when my car was automatic they were useless because it would still hit the radio! Gh3yness.

Dan_Q
02-20-2007, 05:39 AM
:lolhittin

totally useless then! :brick:

burnyd
02-20-2007, 05:40 AM
I think some people on this board need the new lexus auto park.. that is bad ass.

Myself I feel we needed the st205 in the us.. I have a 6gc I daily drive I love it but honestly if it had a st205 model I think with looks alone it would of sold in the us.

KoreanJoey
02-20-2007, 06:16 AM
Kept the Celica RWD or AWD

grayscale
02-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Ditto on the shifter and crapholders. Should have the e-brake handle off to one side like a 240sx and the the shifter assem. could be moved back a little.

1990CelicaGT-S
02-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Owning a Celica has been bliss.

I would have liked to see shorter shift throws, have the console angled a little more towards the driver ( Like a sixth generation), and definatly RWD or AWD.

hobbie2k
02-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the Celica styling post 2nd gen (especially those amoebas of 5th gens :hehe: ) Though, with a little bit of effort they can still look okay. I would have liked more than 90hp in my 2nd gen, and it has no cupholders to speak of.

Someone mentioned heated mirrors. I live in Minnesota, the coldest state in the US (except Alaska) and have owned three cars with heated mirrors and have never used them even once. Maybe it's more of an issue in the northwest or northeast, but I've never needed them.

supra97
02-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Cupholder placement for sure. More horsepower. As far as my OWN car goes I wish it was a manual transmission. I would have taken more time to search for one but I needed a car at the time and the only ones available were All-Tracs...and unfortunately I could not afford 9-10 grand. :)

2kSnakEater
02-20-2007, 03:26 PM
FWD is the only real flaw for the entire 4th gen and up Celicas, The All-Trac power to weight ratio sucks should of been 300hp instead of 200.

Cavanagh
02-20-2007, 03:37 PM
I think some people on this board need the new lexus auto park.. that is bad ass.

I went to the Chicago Auto show last weekend, and they demostrations of it parking itself, its really cool.

And yea, besides the FWD issue, and st owners not having a rear wiper sucks. But the worst by far are the damned cup holders. I cant get mine into "park" unless i take the drink out.

Fuelish
02-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Shifter, rear disks on all models, a much better design on the rear susp. all celicas should be rwd :). Thats about all I can think of. Ditto that (.....well, at least have rr discs, here :) ) RWD needs to make a comeback across the board - fwd leaves much to be desired, even in underpowered applications (i.e., my old Tercel...LOL...;) )

amx
02-20-2007, 10:24 PM
For that matter, has anyone come up with a practical solution to the lack of a useful cupholder in the 5th gens? It really sucks trying to steer, shift, and hold a cup of coffee at the same time... :thumbsdow

My centre armrest cover fell off ages ago, so I have a handy little open box now. Currently I have enough shit crammed into it that I can kind of dig a hole and set cups in there. Totally ghetto but it works.

You could probably get one of those rubber or plastic cup holder insert things to stick in there though. My mom has one in her subaru.

Playfortoday
02-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the Celica styling post 2nd gen (especially those amoebas of 5th gens :hehe: )

Someone mentioned heated mirrors. I live in Minnesota, the coldest state in the US (except Alaska) and have owned three cars with heated mirrors and have never used them even once. Maybe it's more of an issue in the northwest or northeast, but I've never needed them.

You are crazy here. The 5th gen is timeless to the point where it looks newerthan most new car models on the market.

As for the mirrors, I think this ha more to do with states with temperate climates where windows and mirrord fog due to high humidity and cool weather, like FL. Damn mirrors always fog in FL, and there is nothing you can do.:(

85gtsblackman
02-21-2007, 01:06 AM
the 3rd gen ended, everything after that gen (cept the at and gt4) was a flaw :hehe:

Playfortoday
02-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Myself I feel we needed the st205 in the us.. I have a 6gc I daily drive I love it but honestly if it had a st205 model I think with looks alone it would of sold in the us.

It wasn't the looks that would have made it sell. The problem was the price of the car. My 92 ST185 has a sticker price of $29,800 or so. In today's dollars, that is equal to $42,550. That kind of money could have gotten you a Corvette for about the same price. It was not capability, looks, or performance that killed the toyota sports cars. It was price and/or price to power ratio. They estimated the ST205 to enter the market at the same price as the Supra, making it a direct competitor.

zmile06
02-21-2007, 01:28 AM
The only thing i would really change is the seats, i really think they cheaped out with the fabric they used(unless you have leather). I thik the majority of the plastic pieces in the car are crap, they need to be more durable.

Playfortoday
02-21-2007, 02:23 AM
The only thing i would really change is the seats, i really think they cheaped out with the fabric they used(unless you have leather). I thik the majority of the plastic pieces in the car are crap, they need to be more durable.

If you are talking 5th and 6th gen, the plastics get great reviews for durability, fit, and finish. As for the cloth vs. leather, again speaking from my experience with the fifth gen... I'll say that the fabric patterns are boring, but the cloth durability is off the charts compared to the Toyota "leather." I have owed both in several 5th gens, and I will take cloth over leather any day. See... the thing that Toyota gets away with is calling their "leather" leather. 5th gen leather is pleather. I think only a small portion of the seat itself is leather. The only solid leather pieces is the steering wheel and shift knob which wear horribly bad even with special care.

I realize I have quoted and gone against a few folks already in this thread. I am not doing it because I have a hard on for it. I just want to make sure that the real facts behind the opinions are stated.

mtp_69_i
02-21-2007, 02:58 AM
a decent gearbox (for the 4th gens) would be nice, the S53 is a piece of crap. Camry motors in a sports coupe??? The 4th gen --> 6th gen should've all got either 3sge or 3sgte.

My interior rocks and the ride/handling are great. Brakes could be better.

TheNefariousOne
02-21-2007, 03:56 AM
You are crazy here. The 5th gen is timeless to the point where it looks newerthan most new car models on the market.

As for the mirrors, I think this ha more to do with states with temperate climates where windows and mirrord fog due to high humidity and cool weather, like FL. Damn mirrors always fog in FL, and there is nothing you can do.:(

I disagree with this. Flip-up headlights are very umm...80ish in my opinion. The curviness of the 5th gen maybe gives it some "timeless" quality, but still, I dunno... Don't get me wrong, I love the way 5th gens look, I just don' necessarily agree with the timeless comment.

Cavanagh
02-21-2007, 04:24 AM
When i think of Pop-up headlights, i think of 90's dunno why, they just (to me) seem to relate to early 90's cars. I cant see a 5th gen rocking any "normal" headlights that look as good and would sell as well as the 5th gen with pop-ups did.

TheNefariousOne
02-21-2007, 04:57 AM
80s, 90s, same idea. And I agree that, with the 5th gen's lines, normal headlights wouldn't have worked. I'm just saying that I think the flip headlights make the car seem "dated".

Shadowlife25
02-21-2007, 07:36 AM
I think that is more of a preference issue though, ^^ as I personally love the pop-ups ( I know I'm a geezer ) :)

grayscale
02-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Same here. I remember when my dad brought home his new '84GT with popups. Ever since then as I was growing up, I wanted a car with popups.

KoreanJoey
02-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah I'm a sucker for the pop-up... I guess I'm old school

Shadowlife25
02-21-2007, 09:42 AM
As far as 5th gen AT's looking "dated", I recently got asked by a couple people if it was a new model haha :) One of them was even the owner of a new 350z!

92CelicaST
02-21-2007, 12:28 PM
the shifter, cup holder, engine make the 3SGTE standard in all models and AWD and RWD options and the seats to go a little further back and a smaller steering wheel, a easier way to house a after market CD player. and that new Lexus parking thing as mentioned earlier. slight bigger trunk so i could put 2 15" subwoofers just to be dumb. oh and a Sun roof other then the moon roof.

just what i think. though i drive a 90HP ST i like it.

Hookecho
02-21-2007, 12:33 PM
a better looking stock wheel for the 5th would have been nice too.

grayscale
02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
It just occurred to me that I forgot that besides the cupholder being in a bad spot, it's also weak as hell. I've been through two now, not buying anymore of the blasted things.

VikingJZ
02-22-2007, 11:35 PM
The cupholder is a piece and shouldn't be there.

Engines should have went 4AFE, 3SGE, 3SGTE.

Even the coupes should have had a rear wiper.

Eight-way power adjustable seats.

Light-up control stalks.

ST should be FWD, GT and GTS should be RWD and All-Trac should have come in either RWD or AWD.

Azzazzyn
02-23-2007, 12:49 AM
you cry babies and your cupholders, be glad you have them damnit! nw i'm gonna go cry....

93trdGT-S
02-23-2007, 01:55 AM
its been the greatest acheivement of my life...

things to change... all awd or rwd... and all with 3sge... for turbo purposes...

and the cup holders... ohhh and whats with the placement of the overdrive button on the automatics shifter....

its pretty homo....

Dan_Q
02-23-2007, 04:24 AM
.....I actually quite like that on my missus' sera auto....... but i'm not used to automatics so it doesnt seem alien to me. Where are they in other cars?

KoreanJoey
03-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Eight-way power adjustable seats.

As if the seats aren't heavy enough...

burnyd
03-15-2007, 06:37 AM
If you are talking 5th and 6th gen, the plastics get great reviews for durability, fit, and finish. As for the cloth vs. leather, again speaking from my experience with the fifth gen... I'll say that the fabric patterns are boring, but the cloth durability is off the charts compared to the Toyota "leather." I have owed both in several 5th gens, and I will take cloth over leather any day. See... the thing that Toyota gets away with is calling their "leather" leather. 5th gen leather is pleather. I think only a small portion of the seat itself is leather. The only solid leather pieces is the steering wheel and shift knob which wear horribly bad even with special care.

I realize I have quoted and gone against a few folks already in this thread. I am not doing it because I have a hard on for it. I just want to make sure that the real facts behind the opinions are stated.

I see what your saying about pricing of toyota sports cars and in a way you are very right. But if they were to come out a little later it would of been a very successfull car. look at the awd turbo cars now.. the wrx's.sti and evo's are selling like crazy.... everyone wants one!

Idiot Stick
03-15-2007, 10:35 AM
They were too ahead of their time :(

Playfortoday
03-15-2007, 01:08 PM
And that is why is is everyone's duty to restore an alltrac and do there best to spank evo's and wrx's. It is difficult, but it can be done.

PS.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

greymatter
03-15-2007, 04:51 PM
FUN!

yet, if there was one thing you could change about the design what would it be?

i would want all of the controls on the 5th gen steering column and wheel to light up so i could see them at night. tis a pita.

at least RWD.

PhillyDRFT
03-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes.. be happy you even have a cup holder, lol it works for a "Small" drink but thats about, it yeah it is a really shitty design. Edit: s13 owners pull out the change trey and stick there drink in there, but it's going down your thigh if you hit the breaks too hard or make a left turn too quick lol

I think GT and GT-S should have been offered in N/A AWD but toyota isn't subaru so I don't think they could have marketed it right in the US. That or atleast just used the STt185, and st205 frames for all celica models, like nissan did with the s10-s15 silvias ect. would have saved them a good bit on production costs and brought the consumer price down, giving us all now 10 years or so later the option of swaping to AWD if we wanted to.

the s53 transmission isn't too bad, I wish it had better gearing though I used to hate sounding like a banshee going 65 on the highway at 3k. I hear the s54 isn't too bad though, and can hold a decent amount of power.

Esthetically I would change the entire layout of the center console and armrest. anyone who wants to complain about amenities like heated seats or mirrors have the option of sourcing an after market product for that purpose theres tons out there, yeah it's more reliable to have it from the factory but it's not set in stone and you can always add it.

85gtsblackman
03-15-2007, 11:07 PM
i have an 8 way ajustible seat and its made by recaro and its factory

again 3rd gen ftw

PhillyDRFT
03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
i have an 8 way ajustible seat and its made by recaro and its factory

again 3rd gen ftw

O rly?

capncelica
03-16-2007, 12:04 AM
cupholders suck, stock wheels are stupid (who likes hubcaps anyway), i can't get my damn spoiler off on my coupe(maybe its just me tho):D

85gtsblackman
03-16-2007, 01:50 AM
why would u want the stock spoiler off

VikingJZ
03-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Yeah the coupe wings make the car look good.

VikingJZ
03-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Oh....

and an available 2JZGTE that would actually fit.

haha

AstroVannin
03-16-2007, 01:12 PM
I just wish mine had come with the bronze tint... and blue leather interior.

capncelica
03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
why would u want the stock spoiler off

because i have some rust forming underneath of it :(

Jay200MPH
03-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Talking about 5th Gens here:

Lower offset wheels on GT-S and Alltrac! 15x7 +25 would have been nice. That would fix up the sunken battleship look (http://publish.uwo.ca/~jmhoeber/Carnage/fixed-left.jpg) nicely, especially in the rear.

Apart from that, hmm. It's awfully hard to heel-and-toe a manual 5th Gen. The gas pedal sits too low. "Luckily" mine is an automatic.

And I don't understand the wonky foglight wiring. They burn at full all the time on Canadian cars (stupid DTRL) and you can't turn them on without turning on the main beams on US cars. Who thought that up? A simple on/off would have been nice.

Since we're playing the "what if" game, I would have fitted the NA cars with a nice high-revving VVTi engine and quick-ratio 6-speed too. (Gee, they must have been reading my mind when they made the 7th gen!) Hearing the cams change and then letting it sing to 8000 RPM would have been nice. The 5S-FE just doesn't sound sporty enough for the looks of the car.

Erm, paddle shifters and gear-hold feature on the automatics? Okay, now I'm just dreaming. :D

- J

zen
03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
5th gens (non alltracs) should be kept rear wheel drive!!!

85gtsblackman
03-22-2007, 12:47 AM
going side ways is fun :hehe:

DudeMan
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
BETTER CUPHOLDER PLACEMENT!

WTF was Toyota thinking with putting cupholders there? You can't put anything in there without either hitting your radio, hitting it with the shifter, or both.

There's a small area between the drivers seat and the door I have always used to hold drinks. I can't remember if Ive ever tried putting a can of coke in there but it holds my coffee mugs well. The storage compartment on the door has some flex so it will hold it tight and its easy to grab and put back while driving after you get the feel of that one spot.

Lonestag
01-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I've got my shotgun out, this is a freakin Zombie Thread
:ar::zombie:

I guess if I could change the 5th gen, i'd do these things;

1, Independent Exaust Cam
2, Keep the 3SGE in the USDM
3, put the fuel filter somwhere where you can service it without an engine hoist...
4, Start offering a V6 at some point
5, Cupholders
6, No big black cock shifter

Its a good car though...

cms-gt4
01-21-2009, 10:36 PM
If I was to change things, I think the RC model should have been offered in the US and be more like the 205 design. Engine, trans shifted further past wheels, lower weight, better tran turbo and IC setup, rear lsd standard, aluminum hood and super strut. Steering response and unsprung weight could have been improved greatly and luxury options should have been left off to make for a more raw car.

goretro77
01-22-2009, 12:09 AM
GT and GTS should be at least RWD.
Weight needs to be lower.