PDA

View Full Version : need help on celica trade!

zmile06
02-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Here is his cars information and pictures.

1990 toyota celica GTS, rebuilt salvage, new fenders, bumper, hood.. its been repainted red to try to match the car, but it sucks, its not as bad as what it used to be tho.... it is a 5 speed...

engine

BONE STOCK.. absolutely nothing done what so ever.. oil changed every 3000... no burns, smoke or anything.. runs GREAT..

interior

gread interior, still has original floor mats.. the carpets are stained, but its overall great.. got power locks, alarm, power windows, power mirrors.. sterio dosnt work.. dont know why..

exterior

the car has been wrecked, and all damage has been fixed and inspected and your free to tag this monster lol jk, but one thing is it is missing a corner light, and one of the lights stay up.. so its always winkin at you...

overall its a good little car, just need somthing for the girl to drive.. so i need an auto and has to run.. i dont care about looks really....

THE BAD
has almost 250,000 miles on it
rebuild salvage title
looks like poop
no radio
constant ticking comes from the alarm when its on( i just cut the wire to it to shut it up)

THE GOOD

ITS RELIABLE

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/TeggyB18/celica001.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/TeggyB18/celica005.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/TeggyB18/celica003.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/TeggyB18/celica004.jpg

This is my car

1993 toyota celica ST

Full exhaust including down pipe, 2.25. Cat delete, magnaflow delta flow muffler. Tinted windows, lowerd 1.6 inches, 4 need struts springs. Just got the valve cover powder coated candy apple green. JUST replaced the heater core last month. I have kept the car in excellent body and mechanical condition, wax, polish, full tune ups. I also installed power locks with a remote pager that has remote start installed(which cost me 350 for the whole deal). I have probable put 1,500 into my ST.

I did get in a slight fender bender that the entire cost would be 600 to make it look perfect. I flared the bumper out to the point its not noticable anymore.

Anyways here are some pics.

http://myspace-319.vo.llnwd.net/00435/91/35/435155319_l.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/zztrent/1.jpg

Tell me what you guys think i should do.

supra97
02-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I say go for it. I prefer the GT-S myself, but that's just me. My car has a salvage title, and really it's not the end of the world I've learned. As long as the car was put back together well, it's fine. I think it looks pretty darn good from those pictures there, but you should at least check it out yourself. It's manual so that's good. I'm sure the light problem isn't hard to fix, just ask some of the guys here.

Go for it :). Just drive it yourself first, and take it for a long drive. I wish I had done that when I first got mine instead of just a little boot around the block. Then I would have noticed more things instead of just being excited. lol

ciento44
02-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Uhmmm.... no.

Keep the ST.

Coupe > Hatch, and his is in worse shape than yours, and i'm assuming higher miles. Keep the ST and swap something fun into it later on.

david in germany
I have to say, as an ST owner, you have taken care of your car so keep it. You are familiar with it. The gts on the other hand will always make you wish you had, what you had with the ST. If you just want more power, go with the GTS.

1990CelicaGT-S
I don't think I would go for it because of the fact that you put all your money into the ST. I do prefer the GT-S over the ST also but the GT-S doesn't seem all that special.

zmile06
02-19-2007, 05:18 PM
I gave the guy a hard time about the paint, he replaced like 3 body panels i think? That would easily be 300 bucks to get fixed 1000 for a full body paint job.

The head light dosent bother me TOO much, i have never had to fix one anyone want to give me a price range? And what exactly do you think needs replace the motor or?

My car on blue book is 300 dollars more then his (not that it really matters what KBB thinks.)

Should i throw in the rims and tires to seal the deal if he really wants them? The rims are like 400 bucks tires are 200 bucks or so since there used.

The radio dosen work so im thinking abou ganking my radio out just to be even.

I really want the GT-s because its manual and i HATE, let me repeat this HATE AUTOMATICS.

If you can tell me how much it would be to fix the headlight that would probable clear most stuff up for me. What about paint? How hard is it to get the paint to match? Can you order factory toyota paint for the celica online?

1990CelicaGT-S
02-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Your local auto parts store could probably mix you some paint. There was the exact paint codes for our cars on this website. (I can't remember where. Somebody else may be able to direct you in that direction.)

It sounds like the headlight motor is gone. I have one if you get the car and your interested.

Just a though though, if your looking for a manual you could probably find another one out there in better condition. All it takes is some looking around.

Good luck.

Hookecho
02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
if the gts were in as good as condition as your car i would trade. your car looks much better though. maybe if you could keep the rims and radio it would be worth it.

T-spoon
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I say go for it. I prefer the GT-S myself, but that's just me. My car has a salvage title, and really it's not the end of the world I've learned. As long as the car was put back together well, it's fine. I think it looks pretty darn good from those pictures there, but you should at least check it out yourself. It's manual so that's good. I'm sure the light problem isn't hard to fix, just ask some of the guys here.

Go for it :). Just drive it yourself first, and take it for a long drive. I wish I had done that when I first got mine instead of just a little boot around the block. Then I would have noticed more things instead of just being excited. lol

It is not the case that a salvage title is just fine. I wouldn't just gloss over the fact that car has 250k miles and is salvage.

OP, I would not make that trade. The difference in power is not significant enough to make up for the fact that you already own a solid well maintained car and the other is.. questionable at best.

Mister2T
02-19-2007, 10:11 PM
It is not the case that a salvage title is just fine. I wouldn't just gloss over the fact that car has 250k miles and is salvage.

OP, I would not make that trade. The difference in power is not significant enough to make up for the fact that you already own a solid well maintained car and the other is.. questionable at best.

Agreed

ciento44
02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Want more power? Want to trade for my GT? :P

Just playing, i wouldn't do that to you, even though it's better than that GT-S.

Just swap the ST with something else, and in the process, convert to manual.

zmile06
02-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Thank you for the props on my ST, ive pretty much poured all my money and time into it. Being my first car i want to take care of it the best i can.

My car has 250k on the chassis 140k on the engine, and the engine in there right now is pretty solid.

I will try to work things out with him, but i have a feeling hes not going to fix the headlight and paint.

If i can get him to the fix the headlight and paint and let me keep the rims and radio ill trade. Just because i can always take care of the rest. I will be able to tell if the engine is on its last leg by driving it around and checking it.

I really want a manual and something with a little more horse power. But im definitaly not going to jipp myself out money by wanting those things.

Does anyone know how much a manual conversion + 3sgte swap would cost? I'm really debating on doing that or buying an mr2 turbo, last i checked swap+ manual conversion was like 4k and when a mr2 turbo is like 6k it dosent make sense.

supra97
02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Frankly I don't see how that car looks bad from those pictures. My car hardly looks any better or worse, minus the fact that the steering wheel is not worn. Don't trade your rims and tires dude, those are expensive to replace.

I still think you should go for it, but just be wary and check out everything you can on it. If that car's in bad shape, then mine has no hope...

T-spoon
02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Thank you for the props on my ST, ive pretty much poured all my money and time into it. Being my first car i want to take care of it the best i can.

My car has 250k on the chassis 140k on the engine, and the engine in there right now is pretty solid.

I will try to work things out with him, but i have a feeling hes not going to fix the headlight and paint.

If i can get him to the fix the headlight and paint and let me keep the rims and radio ill trade. Just because i can always take care of the rest. I will be able to tell if the engine is on its last leg by driving it around and checking it.

I really want a manual and something with a little more horse power. But im definitaly not going to jipp myself out money by wanting those things.

Does anyone know how much a manual conversion + 3sgte swap would cost? I'm really debating on doing that or buying an mr2 turbo, last i checked swap+ manual conversion was like 4k and when a mr2 turbo is like 6k it dosent make sense.

Well, a swapped celica and an MR2 turbo are two totally different cars and both can do things the other sucks at. I wouldn't compare whether you want to swap or get an MR2 based on the cost alone.

ciento44
02-19-2007, 10:42 PM

I'd talk to NDMStang5 about the swap into an ST, and see how much he spent, doing all the work himself. Auto to manual conversion won't be too bad on top of that.

I would bet that if you did ALL the work yourself, you could proabbly end up close to $3k, probably a touch over.

1992celicagt-s
02-19-2007, 10:55 PM
i would trade the guy if you get him to fix the issues and you keep your rims and stereo. your already goind to be taking a loss with your exhaust. as for your lowering i am not sure if you cut your springs or bought a lowering kit. i just a eibach coil over kit for my gt-s and it ran $300.00.

zmile06
02-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Ya the thing is i dont have the garage to do the swap in, or anyone else to help me out. Plus this is my daily drive and cant have it down for a couple weeks.

Manual conversion i would need the tranny and all the bolts and pieces connected to it, tracking that down would be a pain in the ass.

1990CelicaGT-S
02-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Depends on what motor you want to run.

Cavanagh
02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Keep your ST, and 3SGTE it. Like cient said. Coupe>Hatch and your st looks cleaner and its lighter. Keep it.

Ricksta
02-20-2007, 05:35 PM
if you do do it be sure to have a mechanic look at it and make sure theres no frame damage. but man gotta love them northern cars, make sure your car doesnt fall apart from rust at high speeds! lol

T-spoon
02-20-2007, 09:00 PM
if you do do it be sure to have a mechanic look at it and make sure theres no frame damage. but man gotta love them northern cars, make sure your car doesnt fall apart from rust at high speeds! lol

Argh.