PDA

View Full Version : Braking system questions

zmile06
02-17-2007, 12:56 AM
My 93 celica ST is having braking issues, when i slame on the brakes the dont feel like they lock up. I should hear a squeeling noise or something. And it takes longer to stop when i press on the break extreamly hard. I have duralast gold ceramic's on. And i got my rotors shaved, its been like this ever since i did those 2 things i think...

Which Dot fluid do you guys use? And what brand?

Also i was thinking about converting my ST braking system to the GT setup, bigger rotors, caliper, brake pads, etc. Plus i would have rear disk brakes too. Has anyone done this and could they tell me how hard and how expensive it was to do?

Anyways thanks guy, i know i can always trust this community for feedback.

KoreanJoey
02-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Have you gone through and bled the brakes when you did changed the pads and rotors?

2kSnakEater
02-17-2007, 02:08 AM
sounds like you are at your max for your brakes, and it seems to stop longer when you really step on because of brake fade.

KoreanJoey
02-17-2007, 02:37 AM
And to answer your question about brake fluid I'm running Wilwood 570 Hi-Temp Racing Fluid.

As to the GT/GTS swap I did kind of the equivalent in the ear except I was going from a GT with rear drums to a GTS rear disk setup. It wasn't to hard. It was a matter of changing out the rear hubs for the most part and I just used the e-brake cable that was on the GTS hubs so I have the classic soft E-brake, but I can live with it.

Rix86
02-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Duralast gold...... throw them away.
get OEM pads, you'll be better off.

CandianCelicaGT
02-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I use NAPA AE brake pads & shoes, they are amazing. I use them in combination with replaced OEM toyota rotors & napa drums.

My brakes are excellent. You may also be experiencing a problem with our brake master cylinder. I have to replace mine because the rubber cup valve was getting weak and allowing fluid to go around it rather then force it into the lines.

zmile06
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I need ceramics because normal brakes dust so much i would have to clean my rims EVERY DAY.

How would you check the brake master cylinder out? The brakes really arent that old so im doubting they are getting old, plus i would be hearing a squeeking noise. I havent bled my brakes yet, i probable will this weekend. It dosent feel like a air in the line problem though.

Do ceramics in general take longer to brake? Would the fact i had my rotors shaved make stopping a problem?

Can anybody recommend a good ceramic brake pad for the 5th gen celica ST. Duralast was the best name brand i could find at advanced auto parts so i went with them.