PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Chrysler Sebring problem

ciento44
02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a friend here at work that's having issues with her car.

It won't start, and it won't turn over.

It's blown fuses in the past couple weeks, and seems to have blown another one. The mechanic is trying to tell her that it's her fuel pump.

Now... the car isn't cranking at all, no nothing.

I personally at first thought it had something to do with the solenoid or the starter, but the mechanic says no.

My basic question:

Will a bad fuel pump cause a car to not crank at all?

KoreanJoey
02-15-2007, 11:28 PM
No...

T-spoon
02-15-2007, 11:29 PM
No...
:stupid: It has to be an electrical issue, it'd be too obvious to say they should start with the starting system. Do lights come on etc. when key is in "on" or is everything dead?

MCcelica
02-15-2007, 11:39 PM
If it were the starter you'd hear one click and the interior electrical would act like it's going to start. If it were the solenoid it'd probably be less than that. I call BS on the mechanic saying it's a fuel pump. If it were a bad fuel pump it would still turn over but it would make that fuel deprived cranking sound. Have you tried push starting the car?

ciento44
02-16-2007, 12:33 AM
That's pretty much what i thought.

I'm pretty sure the lights come on when she's trying to start it.

I guess i'll have to take a look at it tomorrow. I told her from the get-go that it was something to do with the starter or the solenoid, and she ended up getting it towed to the mechanic a couple days ago, and they're trying to tell her that it something with the fuel pump, either the relay or the pump itself.

And like you guys, i immediately called BS.

hobbie2k
02-16-2007, 12:34 AM
It would still crank if the fuel pump is bad. However, if she spent a lot of time cranking it with a bad pump, she might have killed the battery. Maybe try jumping it, if it still won't crank, then it's not the fuel pump (alone), it's something with the starter or electrical. Do you know what fuses it has been blowing?

ciento44
02-16-2007, 12:39 AM
It's definitely not the battery. It will start right up sometimes.

Like i said, i think it's a loose connection somewhere, but that doesn't really explain why the fuses are blowing to me... or maybe it does, i don't know.

KoreanJoey
02-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Probably the ignition switch...

hobbie2k
02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Probably the ignition switch...

Probably, and maybe the alternator regulator is causing the fuses to blow. Electrical problems are a bitch.