PDA

View Full Version : If I were to do a conversion (A real one, not snow)

Idiot Stick
02-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I want to make my car be like a GTS. Basically weld on some GTS Quarter Panels and do any other nessecary things to make it so.

What are all the differences between a 1992 GT and a 1992 GTS?

So far I understand they are only;

Widebody
Rear Disk Brakes as opposed to drum brakes.

burnyd
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
widebody,rear discs,system 10,

just go to a junkyard and find one..

ciento44
02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Interior climate controls, seats, possible System 10, possible leather interior, front bumper is different. (And not as sexy, imo.)

That funky dual tip exhuast is on the GT-S, too.

ciento44
02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Idiot Stick... you have drums in the back?

Were they an option on the GT, then?

=cJ=
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Most all of it except the rear quarters would be pretty easy IMO, though I have heard the climate control swap is a potential nightmare.

I'm doing the narrow rear / wide front look on my GT4, looks very nice :D

grayscale
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Climate control difference was only 90-91, as they went with the standard in 92-93. Aslo the same for the instrument cluster, the 90-91 GTS have the volmeter included (which I swapped into mine), 92-93 went with the standard gauges on the left but kept the 150mph speedo(never understood the need for that). Also the eclectric lumbar driver seat in the GTS.

Idiot Stick
02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Idiot Stick... you have drums in the back?

Were they an option on the GT, then?

Yeah I have drums, unfortunately.

I've actually already got the GTS Cluster now, and the system 10 stuff in my apartment waiting for a warm day to install it.

Thing is with my doorskins, is the ones I got now are blue, and the system 10 ones are grey. So I'm gonna take the bottom half of the System 10 doors (part that the sub actually goes behind) and paint it black, and cut out the appropriate spaces for the subwoofer area. Hopefully will look alright.

Gotta figure out what ima do with the rear speakers though; picked up some 6.5" Clarion Components, and they dont fit? Its weird. I'l find a way around though. Always do.

ciento44
02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Wait.... so the 92-93 GT-S didn't have the cool, more complicated climate controls?

grayscale
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
So I'm gonna take the bottom half of the System 10 doors (part that the sub actually goes behind) and paint it black...
Do some tests first so you don't ruin them. I tried doing this for a friend of mine a year or two ago and we could never find a paint that would adhere to the hard plastic lower piece, it would always start to flake off after a few days.

Wait.... so the 92-93 GT-S didn't have the cool, more complicated climate controls?
Nope, maybe they were too complicated, dunno.

2kSnakEater
02-12-2007, 09:37 PM

no, my 91 Trac has the cooler more buttoned Climate control with the "auto" button, my 92 has a position on the fan speed that says "auto"

burnyd
02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
you should prolly just buy a alltrac.

2kSnakEater
02-12-2007, 09:51 PM

Post of the year right there :bigthumbu

ciento44
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
no, my 91 Trac has the cooler more buttoned Climate control with the "auto" button, my 92 has a position on the fan speed that says "auto"

Ok.... so they ARE still different from the 92-93 GT.

grayscale
02-12-2007, 10:05 PM
The rotor size itself is different too.

Idiot Stick
02-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm just gonna do these few things, then save up for a honda.

a RWD Convertable Honda. ;)

Dan3312
02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
I a great place you can get a disc convertion from :D

lavy_gts
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
system 10 can be found in some gt's, same with sunroofs power doors and locks... The only differences are the tail lights have a black outline on the 92, the quarter panels, 1 tip 2" exhaust as apposed to a 2 tip 2.25 " exhaust, disc's in the back rotors in the fronts, steering wheel is different, and of course the climate controls differ immensly.

Also I remeber hearing something about the center consol, I know its only a cosmetic difference, but I think the 92-93's dont have the cd holder in the center? not sure.

this has been covered 9.2 billion times.... try the search

2kSnakEater
02-13-2007, 08:41 PM
we need 1 sticky with all the differences in the Celica's from each year

alltracman78
02-14-2007, 02:10 AM
You list and I'll edit. :)
I don't feel like typing that much crap.....

Climate control difference was only 90-91, as they went with the standard in 92-93.

Actually there are 3 versions for each revision.
There is no "standard" for either revision.

grayscale
02-14-2007, 02:28 AM
The only differences are the tail lights have a black outline on the 92,...steering wheel is different,...
The Tail lights are not different from GT to GTS just year to year. Of all of the USDM GT and GTS from 90-93 that I've seen, I have never seen a steering wheel that was different from another.

grayscale
02-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Actually there are 3 versions for each revision.
There is no "standard" for either revision.
That's weird, explain please.

alltracman78
02-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Manual and auto AC.
No AC.
Pushbutton blower controls.
Dial blower controls.

The Tail lights are not different from GT to GTS just year to year. Of all of the USDM GT and GTS from 90-93 that I've seen, I have never seen a steering wheel that was different from another.

Yeah, tails are only different between revisons [and coupe/LB].
Steering wheels are the same for all 4 years.

grayscale
02-14-2007, 03:09 AM
...No AC...
Oh yeah, forgot that :brick:

alltracman78
02-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Well that really doesn't count though....
Kind of a given.

splinter182
02-15-2007, 08:31 AM

i've seen different steering wheels, my old 91 ST had a "Thicker" steering wheel than my GTS has right now, also my dad pulled a "thick" steering wheel from the yard for my old ST cus the one it came with was all ripped and torn. prolly came from a GT idk.

VikingJZ
02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Again, the steering wheels are the same. The only differences were if it came in a leather wrap or not, along with if it said CELICA or All-Trac in the center.

lavy_gts
02-16-2007, 09:41 PM

read what I said, I never mentioned gt or gts, if he has a 92 celica i said there tail lights are darker around the edges, also 92+ have air bags therefor the steering wheel is diferent. I belive you coul dopt in to the air bag option in 91. so... in yo face

lavy_gts
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
http://images.consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/autoreview/070x047/1990-93-toyota-celica-90812061000720.jpg

thats the 4 spoke celica wheel with an air bag

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=330099&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2534000-2534999/2534533_11_full.jpg

call me retarded, but i think i notice a little difference between the two wheels... B.Sor's

alltracman78
02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I believe the wheel in your link is a 6th gen wheel....
Which also happens to have an airbag.

Regardless, in the US ALL 90 ^ Celicas got a drivers airbag standard.

Canada and the rest of the world might be different.

The Celica/Alltrac in the center of the wheel isn't actually part of it.
It is the airbag, which is separate.

VikingJZ
02-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Sorry....I was referring to US models.

Canadians and the rest of the world got a different wheel.

I'd rather have ours.

grayscale
02-18-2007, 06:49 AM
read what I said, I never mentioned gt or gts, if he has a 92 celica i said there tail lights are darker around the edges, also 92+ have air bags therefor the steering wheel is diferent. I belive you coul dopt in to the air bag option in 91. so... in yo face
Great, but his thread here IS about converting GT to GTS.

call me retarded, but i think i notice a little difference between the two wheels... B.Sor's
Okay, you're retarded. The wheel you linked to is the JDM 5th gen wheel(maybe Euro too, not sure) no airbag. If you'll noitce, the pic is of a right hand drive car. I'm not trying to bag on you man, I'm just trying to answer the guys questions as correctly as I can.
(By the way, shouldn't this be in the 5th gen forum?)

lavy_gts
02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Great, but his thread here IS about converting GT to GTS.

Okay, you're retarded. The wheel you linked to is the JDM 5th gen wheel(maybe Euro too, not sure) no airbag. If you'll noitce, the pic is of a right hand drive car. I'm not trying to bag on you man, I'm just trying to answer the guys questions as correctly as I can.
(By the way, shouldn't this be in the 5th gen forum?)

First thigns first, are we ignoreing the fact that the user who began this thread (idiot stick) owns a 92 GT.... yes a 1992 toyotal celica GT. this is why I posted the difference, maybe he wanted the gts in his year seems the 92 is different in its own respects.
^ HAHAHA JDM 5th gen eh? so does that mean its also a stock 5th gen as well seems that is the exact same wheel that came stock in my 90 gts, i actually have it sitting outside if you insist on me taking pics of it.
And what Im saying is you clearly dont have a full understanding what is different so you should stop answering in this post seems you havent posted one correct thing as of yet?

alltracman, also your porobably right about the canadian thing.

what about the differences in the grills for a 92 gts? doesnt it have just a straight bar accross it as apposed to the mouth like gap in the 90-91's...

Im not saying I have all knowledge of celicas, but I have some knowledge in this manner so I was glad to help, but clearly I dont know shit about celicas, clearly I havent been a member of this site for roughly 2-3 years, and clearly I have no clue what is different between the generations of celicas, and yes I must be retarded.