PDA

View Full Version : maaco paint jobs

jjazmin
02-11-2007, 05:08 AM
hey guys..im planning to get a paint job for cheap..ive checked around the honda forums and people have been getting some pretty good jobs for around 700-800...anyone on here ever got a paint job from them or any other shops like earl shieb?...let me know!

KoreanJoey
02-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Ok from what I've heard from everyone is that Maaco does a fine paint job, only problem is, their prep work sucks. So best thing is to prep the car yourself before taking into Maaco.

Azzazzyn
02-11-2007, 06:47 AM
agreed, buddy of mine got his done at earl shieb and the painted over the weather stripping lol

amx
02-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Ok from what I've heard from everyone is that Maaco does a fine paint job, only problem is, their prep work sucks. So best thing is to prep the car yourself before taking into Maaco.

Second this. We did the prep on my parents' suburban and took it to Maaco, got their $400 base job or whatever, and it turned out okay. It had a few small runs, but they were only noticeable if you looked at it really close from a certain angle. Also if there's more than one Maaco in your area, check into both of em because the job can vary a lot between shops.

For instance, our Maaco's pretty average, but the Maaco where my grandparents live is amazing. It all depends on who's working the spray gun.

VikingJZ
02-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Closest one to me is in Fort Wayne.

Best advice is to completely strip the car and primer it yourself.

My GT was repainted once.....they sanded down the paint some and went right over it again.

It flakes off after a few years.

jjazmin
02-11-2007, 08:14 AM
how long was the process for some of you guys who sanded it and primered yourself..and what was the cost of doing it yourself if i dont have the proper equipment

1990CelicaGT-S
02-11-2007, 01:58 PM
If you go maaco then you can pretty much be garunteed your paint will flake off when your washing the car. I knew a guy who got these guys to paint his car. He took all the paint right off with a pressure washer.

Hookecho
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
how long was the process for some of you guys who sanded it and primered yourself..and what was the cost of doing it yourself if i dont have the proper equipment

it took me 2 days. 1st day i cleaned the car to get all the road tar and every other abnormalty off the paint. i scuffed the original paint, washed the car, dried the car, and taped it off. day 2 i primered it up with about 7 cans of dupli-color filler primer and about 5 cans of dupli-color sandable primer. it's a quality primer and the can has a good nozzle that puts out a nice wide fan spray pattern.

the paint is $5 a can. i spent less the $100 for everything.

85gtsblackman
02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
i had a macco paint job, it was a great paint job cept for the slight amount of orange peel which i waited 3 months and buffed away

it was a 300ish something paint job with intergrated clear coat, and the only thing i was my car with is a pressure washer

im debating rattle canning the truck though :hehe:

jjazmin
02-11-2007, 08:48 PM
so if i want to prep my car myself..what will i need to get the paint off..im assuming sand paper?..

Galcobar
02-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Maaco -- shudder.

Really soft paint, does not stand up well and will, I repeat will, fade quickly. My car's prior owner had it done with their "top" quality paint and protection. Three years later the stuff looks, well, as old as the car. And yes, was given proper washing and waxing over that time.

Cavanagh
02-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Maaco -- shudder.

Really soft paint, does not stand up well and will, I repeat will, fade quickly. My car's prior owner had it done with their "top" quality paint and protection. Three years later the stuff looks, well, as old as the car. And yes, was given proper washing and waxing over that time.

Yea that exaclty what i have heard from everyone...it looks good for the price, but after a year or more it starts to fade like crazy. It may be a better idea just to get a good quality paint job.

85gtsblackman
02-12-2007, 01:58 AM
see if i can dig up pics of the green car

the girl that drives it now washes it weekly and it just as shiney as it was 4 years ago(my 91 stx)

it never looked fadded either but then i guess it depends on the shop and how u take care of it, i clay bared mine once a year and waxed it ever other month , but hand cleaner waxed it bi weekly, during the cold months id just wash it though, all she does is wash it and its still shiney

my friend dynamic73 on here had an 85gt he got done and it was still shiny when he waxed it and it was over 8 years old (paint)

i guess it depends on who does it and where u get it done at

1990CelicaGT-S
02-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Keep in mind where you drive the car at too though. Environment would have a lot to do with these problems.

85gtsblackman
02-12-2007, 03:36 AM
high road contruction, continuous debris, people always messing with your car cause theres to many people here

only problem i had was my front bumper and a few very small spots on my hood chipped but i ened up behind a dump truck hauling dirt/sand/gravel for a year strait with that car (only way to work...heavy construction)

Galcobar
02-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Try Canadian West Coast -- mild temperatures, no road salt -- stored outdoors.

1990CelicaGT-S
02-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Nova Scotia...need I say more.