PDA

View Full Version : Celica 192bhp

KurZweiL
02-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Hello people, this is my first time here since I bought a celica 1999 last week. So hi all my celica friends... hope every1 is okay.

I have a question to do....

U bought this celica 1999... its not TRD but the engine has 192 bhp and its standard from the factory. Can someone tell me what`s the difference from this engine to the other one... by the way.. my tansmission is Manual 6 speed. Normally the celica its 5 speed manual. Someone told me becuase its a japanese version but i want to know what are the mecahnical or electronic differences .

KoreanJoey
02-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Um... guessing it's a 7th Generation Celica (last model)... I think they were rated at 180 or so here in the US. and the 180hp versions (usually marked as a GT-S) came with 6spds from the factory.

91 celica st
02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
hes prob got a GB one or hes from austrailia the 1999 there were the 2000's here
us got 180hp if he has a gt-s

jap and GB got 191 PS witch im assuming is waht he has. just a diffrently tuned ecu due to there higher octane.
its either called
eurpoe-1.8 VVTLi T Sport
auzzie-SX and ZR
japan- ss-II
us- gt-s

KurZweiL
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
thanks for your fast reply

these are my celica specs maybe this will clear some things :-

Ref: ZTT231
Model: Toyota CELICA Veilside body kit 1999
Colour: SilverMetallic Engine: 1.8 VVTL-I ( 192BHP )
Type: COUPE
Transmission: 6 speed
Options: POWER STEERING, ELECTRIC WINDOWS, CENTRAL LOCKING WITH REMOTE, ADJUSTABLE AND FOLDING MIRRORS, RADIO CD . FRONT FOG LAMPS AND AIR-CONDITIONED WITH CLIMATE CONTROL. EXTRAS AND ELECTRIC SUNROOF.
Remarks: SAFETY FEATURES ALSO INCLUDES A.B.S ( ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM ), FRONT DRIVER AND PASSENGER AIRBAGS.

This maybe will help you out -- http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocmain.jsp?lnk=203&id=2736

it says that its a GT 1.8 VVTL-I model

but i still don`t know what`s the difference if the ecu or something mecahnical (like crankshaft etc etc)

Mr E
02-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Nothing mechanical.

hobbie2k
02-10-2007, 05:47 PM
The big difference between the high-power version and the lower version is the variable lift system. It's almost like having two different valvetrains, one for low rpm torque and efficiency, and one for high rpm power (very similar to Honda VTEC systems). If you've floored it you might have noticed a sudden burst of power at about 6000 rpms (I can't remember the switch point), that's the engine switching over to the high-power valvetrain.

The lower power version doesn't have this system. I'm sure there are also differences in the ECU and elsewhere.

KurZweiL
02-11-2007, 01:57 AM
hey thanks hobbie2k, infact at 6000 rpm their`s that burst you mentioned.
Thanks for your info. About the ecu, can i upgrade it?? or i have to check its version or somethin?

hobbie2k
02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
hey thanks hobbie2k, infact at 6000 rpm their`s that burst you mentioned.
Thanks for your info. About the ecu, can i upgrade it?? or i have to check its version or somethin?

I'm sure there are ECU upgrades out there, but you'll probably have to take the car into a tuner to have it done. Or maybe there are companies that will sell you a whole new pre-tuned ECU and then give you a discount when you mail your stock one back...

Maybe do a search like "Celica ECU Tuning UK" or something like that...