PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Battery/Alternator/Spark Plugs

KansCelica
02-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Ok,

This is in reference to my 1990 GT. We replaced a bad battery last spring. Right now, the car is only running if jumped, but then suddenly dies after about a minute of running. The car has been driven pretty regularly all winter, with the exception of a few ice/snow storms. I know for a fact the spark plugs need changed. They are NGK Iridium plugs with 60-70k on them.

The battery is not holding a charge, so im assuming (because its fairly new) that the alternator has gone bad.

Do you guys think I have both of these issues tackled? I just think its so strange the car just dies after a minute.

------ on a side note, this is all hearsay (im away at college, this is what my mom tells me). but im going back this weekend so i'll get to see it firsthand.

Thanks for your help.

Melchior
02-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Your alternator isn't charging your battery, thats why it dies. After the boost the other cars alternator charges your battery up a bit, so your car fires off the battery for a minute or so, till the battery bites it. So as long as there isn't a lose wire, it's more than likely the Alt.

Check the wires to/from the alt and battery, make sure they're all clipped in/bolted down really well.

I had exactly this problem, actually right down to the dead in a minute and yes it was the alternator, whats funny is you will only manage to be able to boost the car and run for a minute if the battery is fairly new and of a decent quality. If it was a weak battery, car would just die as soon as you pull the cables off.

andy
02-09-2007, 07:18 AM
That does sound like the alt, if you need a 5s alt i have one in excellent condition for sale. pm for details.

85gtsblackman
02-09-2007, 03:52 PM
alt went bad

KansCelica
02-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

alltracman78
02-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Hold on.
You need to check a couple of things first.
First off, the battery not holding a charge and the alt not charging the battery are two totally different things....
Get the battery tested. If it tests fine, test the alt. If it's bad, replace and see if you still have the problem. If so, test the alt. If it tests good, let us know.

KansCelica
02-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Turns out the battery was bad. The fluid was frozen solid. We went ahead and replaced the alternator (thank you Andy!) b/c it had the original with 170k on it. Everything is good now. We kept the old alternator just in case.