PDA

View Full Version : toyota trucks

CollapsedNut
02-09-2007, 01:41 AM
I just saw the transmission commerical on tv about the new tundra...man they are really tryin to take the truck scene...they just wanna dominate every aspect of the automobile world...just wish they would make a new alltrac and saty in the AWD car scene

85gtsblackman
02-09-2007, 02:40 AM
THE ALL NEW 5.7 LITER TUNDRA..............

nuff said

TheNefariousOne
02-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Tundra = badass looking I must say. Saw it at the car show here in Philly yesterday (which BTW I found disappointing, but I got in for free so whatev) and was surprised at how much of a presence it has.

T-spoon
02-09-2007, 05:27 AM
I know someone that hurt (possibly broke) their ankle getting out of one of the new Tundras. It was higher than they expected. True story.

burnyd
02-09-2007, 06:51 AM
yah there really doing it right... not like the honda unibody truck gewww...

but yah I wish toyota would get back into the sport compact world without this goofy scion shit.

2kSnakEater
02-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Duramax 2500 > Tundruh

+1 on Burnidizzle, they need to bring the All-Trac back.

CollapsedNut
02-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I know its like they have stoped the sport compact toyotas and using scion to fill that...accept scions suck

hobbie2k
02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Duramax 2500 > Tundruh

They're in different classes, that's like saying an AllTrac is faster than an ST. Of course it is, they're totally different classes. Anyway, the Duramax might have a higher payload capacity, but that's about it...

If you're gonna compare it to a Chevy, the only way to make a fair comparison is against the new Silverado.

VikingJZ
02-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm the opposite of Snake.

GM builds most of the cars OUTSIDE of the US....usually just over the border in Mexico or Canada where labor is cheaper.

Why do I want to give money to a company that does that.

More Toyotas are built here nowadays. Yet when it comes down to a used car, you look at reliability.

I hear more people say Toyotas run better than GM's.

I have witnessed that take place in our family with three cars.

The only reasonably reliable GM we have ever owned is my Sonoma with the 4.3L V6 which is noted as one GM's best engines.

I would never get another GM again as long as I live. I'm basically anti-American for the auto segment.

T-spoon
02-09-2007, 04:46 PM
They're in different classes, that's like saying an AllTrac is faster than an ST. Of course it is, they're totally different classes. Anyway, the Duramax might have a higher payload capacity, but that's about it...

If you're gonna compare it to a Chevy, the only way to make a fair comparison is against the new Silverado.

This man speaks truth. When you put the new Tundra against anything in its class, it stacks up pretty darn well. Obviously an 18wheeler can outhaul it.. Don't worry though, they do have plans for both a diesal and dualy model down the road. Toyota is very smart, they introduce things incrementally. When the tundra first came out, it was produced the way it was for a reason. Same with the first camrys, etc. I wish they had more of a sport presence nowdays, but you can't fail to recognize the smart business moves they make otherwise.

supra97
02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
GM builds most of the cars OUTSIDE of the US....usually just over the border in Mexico or Canada where labor is cheaper

Oh my god, because Canada is so different from the US. Seriously, at least you can expect quality from Canada.

Try living in Canada where like 90% of everything is made in the US. Who cares? S'all the same shit.

burnyd
02-09-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm the opposite of Snake.

GM builds most of the cars OUTSIDE of the US....usually just over the border in Mexico or Canada where labor is cheaper.

Why do I want to give money to a company that does that.

More Toyotas are built here nowadays. Yet when it comes down to a used car, you look at reliability.

I hear more people say Toyotas run better than GM's.

I have witnessed that take place in our family with three cars.

The only reasonably reliable GM we have ever owned is my Sonoma with the 4.3L V6 which is noted as one GM's best engines.

I would never get another GM again as long as I live. I'm basically anti-American for the auto segment.

you obviously have never held a wrench in your hand......

DarkSideCelica
02-09-2007, 06:32 PM
toyota trucks are becoming better cos they legally obtained Ford's truck technologies a while back... since u have it, why not flaunt it?

2kSnakEater
02-09-2007, 08:18 PM
so If Toyota builds their cars/trucks here and GM builds their cars/trucks in Canada and mexico. WHY DOES THE TOYOTA CRAP COST 1000% MORE THAN GM? I dont really care who builds the cars/trucks as long as they 1. look good 2. are reliable(reason why I dont buy ford/Chrysler) 3. parts are cheap and pletyfull

Toyota scores a 2 out of 3
GM scores 3 out of 3

so Im not saying Toyota is car, dammit I now have 2 All-Tracs, Im just saying that until Toyota brings their prices down on parts I will not be buying any more Toyota Products.

T-spoon
02-09-2007, 09:14 PM
so If Toyota builds their cars/trucks here and GM builds their cars/trucks in Canada and mexico. WHY DOES THE TOYOTA CRAP COST 1000% MORE THAN GM? I dont really care who builds the cars/trucks as long as they 1. look good 2. are reliable(reason why I dont buy ford/Chrysler) 3. parts are cheap and pletyfull

Toyota scores a 2 out of 3
GM scores 3 out of 3

so Im not saying Toyota is car, dammit I now have 2 All-Tracs, Im just saying that until Toyota brings their prices down on parts I will not be buying any more Toyota Products.

Toyota parts are better, especially computer/electronic. Sure, they cost more, but then, they typically last a pretty long time. Why do people buy GM map sensors for AFM conversions a lot of the time? Easy and cheap, not because they're better or even as good. You get what you pay for.

Good parts are not cheap because they cost more in R&D and in manufacturing process.

2kSnakEater
02-09-2007, 09:18 PM
so what kind of price can you get me a A/C compresor for my 91 All-Trac?

T-spoon
02-09-2007, 09:56 PM
so what kind of price can you get me a A/C compresor for my 91 All-Trac?

PMed to keep it more or less on topic ;)

Murgatroy
02-10-2007, 07:32 AM
toyota trucks are becoming better cos they legally obtained Ford's truck technologies a while back... since u have it, why not flaunt it?
No they didn't, they ran a Ford engine until they could design a pushrod engine to run in the Craftsman Truck Series under NASCAR rules.

85gtsblackman
02-10-2007, 06:17 PM
check autozone on the copressor, mine was like 208 for one with a clutch which is cheaper than a delco one which is 450 something

anywho yes toyota is smart how they do things cause see most american car companys make a truck, then release several versions of it at the same time or a year after....there is a thing as having to many choices at once

toyota does it nice and slow, then they perfect the thing, once its at its peak they start with another model and do the same (except for the 7th gen celica)

now toyotas parts caost more because they simply last longer

snake u saw my gts whens the last time u have seen a domestic econo-sports car in the same shpe with mostly orginal parts?

thats like my tps it was 98 buck but i wont have to buy another for 20 years or 200k, same with the ignightor, its around 177 bucks w/o a coil but it will last the same amount of time.

i rather pay a lil more for some parts that will last lnoger than cheap out and have to continuosly buy the same things

and yes ive owned domestics to

TheNefariousOne
02-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Come on though, most of the time you won't own a car longer than it will take for the parts to wear out. Hence why I go for the cheapest part unless I know it's a POS for a fact.

Cavanagh
02-12-2007, 03:01 AM
D00d, toyota parts are also more because their Imports, just like anyother Non american car. There all more money. Which DOES suck. But i still love toyota.

T-spoon
02-12-2007, 04:38 AM
Come on though, most of the time you won't own a car longer than it will take for the parts to wear out. Hence why I go for the cheapest part unless I know it's a POS for a fact.

To each their own, wouldn't want to buy a car from you though, or anyone that thinks like you. You'll get more out of your car if you put in more.

hobbie2k
02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
anywho yes toyota is smart how they do things cause see most american car companys make a truck, then release several versions of it at the same time or a year after....there is a thing as having to many choices at once

Actually, one of the biggest complaints about the Nissan Titan (other than the fact it isn't a domestic) was it's lack of options, two trims, two cabs, two beds. Even though it is more than capable of doing anything a Full-size truck owner would ever need to do, it doesn't have the options. One of the biggest compliments of the Tacoma was it's multitude of options. Truck guys like options.

Hookecho
02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
titan = ugliest truck in production...evar. i want a supercharged tacoma!

CollapsedNut
02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
titan = ugliest truck in production...evar. i want a supercharged tacoma!

I agree!! I had to drive a rented one and the dash in them looks so freakin gay and sitting in it I felt cheap.

But back to the main point here, I just dont understand why toyota cant do its trucks and still do sport compact...can they not multitask? I want a new alltrac

Murgatroy
02-12-2007, 05:54 PM
They may offer an AWD Camry in the future to shut Ford up. The 'All New Mercury Milan has AWD and Camry doesn't!" is thier latest ad campaign. What the buying public and Ford both are forgetting is that the Camry did come AWD and it didn't sell well, that was why it was dropped from the line-up. I love how domestics rehash 20 year old concepts then act like it we an all original idea...

hobbie2k
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I want one of those late 80s, early 90s AWD 3sfe Camry Wagons so I can drop a 3sgte in.

DarkSideCelica
02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
No they didn't, they ran a Ford engine until they could design a pushrod engine to run in the Craftsman Truck Series under NASCAR rules.

i did a research on this for my master's thesis... Ford and Toyota have this agreement where Ford is allowed to use Toyota's hybrid technology (altho Ford developed the technology themselves, but was too similiar to toyota's) in exchange for its truck technologies... why do u think toyota trucks are getting better lately?

ciento44
02-12-2007, 09:04 PM
D00d, toyota parts are also more because their Imports, just like anyother Non american car. There all more money. Which DOES suck. But i still love toyota.

Honda parts are cheap....

But only because there's like trillions of hondas around. And from what i've seen and experienced, they dont' last as long as most TOyotas, anyways.

And to back up 91stxman....

BurnyD was fairly impressed at how decent my 93 GT is after the wear it's been through....

And engine-wise... it's ALL original. And everything works.

grayscale
02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
I can personally vouch for the logevity of parts. My Mom bought her first car in 1978, a Corolla SR5 Sports Coupe, she sold it in 1997 with a little over 600k miles and aside from the upkeep stuff like timing chains and such the only major work ever done was the brake and clutch master cylinders. My 92 GTS has 301,xxx miles on it. I did the timing belt/water pump etc on it about five months ago(don't remember the mileage offhand) and wouldn't ya know it, still had the original water pump in it. Now teel me of one single American water pump that has ever lasted that long? I jope Toyota does end up dominating the truck market eventually, maybe we'll see less people getting new trucks every 150,000 miles.

I want one of those late 80s, early 90s AWD 3sfe Camry Wagons so I can drop a 3sgte in. :hehe:

... Ford and Toyota have this agreement where Ford is allowed to use Toyota's hybrid technology (altho Ford developed the technology themselves, but was too similiar to toyota's) in exchange for its truck technologies... why do u think toyota trucks are getting better lately?

If you can point me to some proof of this I would honestly like to see it, but until then I'm going to have to say :fuckoff:

DarkSideCelica
02-12-2007, 09:42 PM
^^ i'll see if i can find it on my PC.. i did the project abt a year plus ago, so i hope i still have it... search for it on google or something :bigthumbu

DarkSideCelica
02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
ok... here's all i could find at work (yes, i'm slacking off cos of u guys :p)

"Toyota and Ford entered into a licensing agreement in March 2004 allowing Ford to use 20 patents from Toyota related to hybrid technology, although Ford's engine was independently designed and built. In exchange for the hybrid licences, Ford licensed patents involving their European diesel engines to Toyota."

from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_car

didn't go into depth of the agreement, but trust me when i say this... the agreement happened and Ford screwed themselves real bad... y? altho they have the hybrid tech from Ford, they can't really use it cos Toyota is monopolizing the gas-electric hybrid parts (esp the braking systems that make the whole system work).... Ford can't get enough parts for their hybrids, and have no bargaining power over the suppliers (who are mostly controlled by Toyota anyways lol)

T-spoon
02-12-2007, 11:51 PM
ok... here's all i could find at work (yes, i'm slacking off cos of u guys :p)

"Toyota and Ford entered into a licensing agreement in March 2004 allowing Ford to use 20 patents from Toyota related to hybrid technology, although Ford's engine was independently designed and built. In exchange for the hybrid licences, Ford licensed patents involving their European diesel engines to Toyota."

from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_car

didn't go into depth of the agreement, but trust me when i say this... the agreement happened and Ford screwed themselves real bad... y? altho they have the hybrid tech from Ford, they can't really use it cos Toyota is monopolizing the gas-electric hybrid parts (esp the braking systems that make the whole system work).... Ford can't get enough parts for their hybrids, and have no bargaining power over the suppliers (who are mostly controlled by Toyota anyways lol)

Considering Toyota isn't putting diesels in their trucks here, yet, I'd say there's no indication any of that has anything to do with why Toyota's trucks are getting better. They never had bad trucks, they were just small. It wasn't as if they couldn't figure out how to make a big truck, they just didn't. As far as truck technology, thank God Toyota isn't using ford's (and they aren't). The frame is designed differently, the suspension is different, the engine is different. I've driven both ford's newest F150 and the new Tundra. The difference is night and day. The new Tundra is definitely Toyota, and fords are still Fords. Those kinds of agreements happen all the time, the Toyota Cavalier certainly didn't teach Toyota how to make a car of that class. :laugh:

DarkSideCelica
02-12-2007, 11:59 PM
here's more on the monopolization of the supply chain by Toyota...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/19/business/hybrid.php

T-spoon: like i said, tht article is vague, and did not list down the full agreement tht also includes other stuff besides the diesel engines... i would search for it, but i think i've spend enough time at work searching for these stuff lol

Hookecho
02-13-2007, 12:26 AM
i wouldn't be at all suprised if they reintroduced the supra before bringing back the celica.

T-spoon
02-13-2007, 12:50 AM
i wouldn't be at all suprised if they reintroduced the supra before bringing back the celica.

The coolest thing would be if they came full circle. Bring the Celica back and have a luxery/performance version tagged Celica Supra. It aint gonna happen, but boy it would be cool :)

hobbie2k
02-13-2007, 12:53 AM

Neither would I, and you know why? Because the mid and high-performance coupe market is still going well (350Z, G35, Corvette, RX-8, TT, Z4, etc.), while the low-performance coupe (?$20,000) is almost dead. I mean, what options have you got in that price range? The tC, Cobalt SS, Si, and that's about it, and even the Si has to offer a 4door version.

If they're gonna build a low-profit, limited appeal car, they're going to go for the halo vehicle (Supra), not the everyman's coupe (Celica).

grayscale
02-13-2007, 03:43 AM
...Because the mid and high-performance coupe market is still going well (350Z, G35, Corvette, RX-8, TT, Z4, etc.), while the low-performance coupe (?$20,000) is almost dead.

Ding, Ding, Ding! :bigthumbu (although these comments would have been more well placed in the bring the Celica back thread)

85gtsblackman
02-13-2007, 06:03 AM
hyundai cant keep tiburons on the lot........

i know cause i worked there

Murgatroy
02-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I did hear something about the quest for a diesel engine. That is an interersting solution.

grayscale
02-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Lotus (apparently cohorts with Toyota these days) has two working prototypes of sport diesel engines. It is a 1.4ltr turbo. They topped it out at 154mph. 0-60 was something like 6 or 7 sec. They body is awesome. But the greatest thing about it is they did it all while getting over 100 miles to the gallon. Saw this recently on a Dicovery Chan. special called Futurecars.

DarkSideCelica
02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
diesel is gonna be big in the US soon.... and for Ford to survive, they need to work on the diesel-hybrid technology (GM is the only other company researching this now).. tht was my recommendation for my project :D

extremeskillz
02-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Duramax 2500 > Tundruh

New FORD twin turbo Powerstroke > Duramax

Im all about the Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Murgatroy
02-13-2007, 07:37 PM
It is normal for European cars to get near 100MPG with diesel, the US doesn't support that technology because it would break our dependance upon fuel.

hobbie2k
02-13-2007, 08:09 PM
It is normal for European cars to get near 100MPG with diesel, the US doesn't support that technology because it would break our dependance upon fuel.

The Official answer is that it's difficult (and therefore, expensive) to make a diesel motor that will meet US emissions standards with the low-quality diesel fuel we have available. I think we recently switched to a low-sulfur diesel standard that should help, but our emissions standards still definitely favor gas engines over diesels. In addition, the lack of diesel infrastructure discourages some buyers, and cold-weather issues can discourage northern buyers (something that isn't an issue in Europe). For all these reasons, it doesn't make sense for manufacturers to release diesels in America.

That's the Official answer, anyway. :wiggle:

BTW - I hear real-life mileages closer to 30-50mpg. In fact there was recently a big hoopla over a VW diesel that got more than 100mpg in tests. It was a single-seater experimental car, very light, small 3cyl diesel, I think. If a single-seater experimental car just gets over 100mpg, I doubt a real-life car with room for 5, full safety and comfort equipment, will get a real-life 100mpg. But 30-50mpg for a mid-size car is still damn good. Much better than most gas mid-sizers.

Murgatroy
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I would buy one.

Diesel Hybrid technology is the future.

DarkSideCelica
02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
100 mpg for a diesel engine? hmmm... i think not.... prob 40-45 mpg is more realistic..

the US passed a law last yr for ALL gas stations to set up the proper infrastructure for diesel, as well as stricter diesel production laws to decease emission... in a few years, diesel here will be like diesel in the UK... clean and cheap... so yeah, diesel AND diesel hybrid is the way to go

extremeskillz
02-15-2007, 01:33 AM
^Agreed and more power potential and more fuel choices the gasoline engines.

Hookecho
02-15-2007, 02:03 PM
i would definatley own another diesel if they could get more mileage to the gallon.