PDA

View Full Version : Okay, another question I need urgently answered.

supra97
02-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Some of you may or may not have read my other post.

I currently have a bent rim causing the car to shudder when driving.

It will cost me anywhere from $100-$150 to get this repaired.

Some folks have mentioned replacing it with another stock rim, but I can't seem to find any around here.

So, my other option is to purchase a pair of new aftermarket rims, for less than $200. Tricky to find probably because rims usually retail almost that much EACH.

If someone could point me to a place I can get a great deal on rims here in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley, that would be awesome.

Herein lies the problem though: my car came with 195/60R15 tires on it. IF I buy new rims to fit these tires, I suppose I cannot change to the stock Celica size tire of 215/50R later? Or is the difference small enough that it won't matter? Or are rims specific to exact sizes?

I am a newbie, yes...but hey everyone starts somewhere.

92CelicaST
02-09-2007, 01:19 AM
when my tires get here for my rims ill 4 14" with hub caps wheels and Tires almost brand new tires not sure of sizes but thought id let you know.

alltracman78
02-09-2007, 01:57 AM
The smallest she can go is a 15" wheel because of her front brakes.

Tire sizes are somewhat interchangeable to wheels.

For instance the stock wheel size for your car is 15 x 6.5".
You can run ROUGHLY anywhere from a 195 to a 225 size tire.
But it depends on sidewall size, and the particular tire.

Here is a good page on tire info. This should explain it so you can make an informed decision.
If not, let me know.

Tire size
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

A whole bunch of info on tires. Read to your hearts content.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

supra97
02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Well...that information is helpful, indeed, but it does not answer my question of whether or not I can switch from a 195/60R tire to a 215/50R on the SAME rim.

Maybe it did, but I didn't see the information.

If anyone happens to know offhand, that would be great because I'm looking to buy this weekend, and I would like to know ASAP.

You said this:
Tire sizes are somewhat interchangeable to wheels.

How much flex do you have?

Futant3
02-09-2007, 08:07 PM
they aren't really interchangable as far as rim diameter goes. if I read your post correctly you have 15" and are going to 14"? you have some flex space on the width of a tire, for example a 225 width tire can go on a 7-8 inch wide rim.

so yes it is pretty likely that those tires will interchange width wise, however diameter size is a bigger issue. and the issue of brake clearance previously mentioned by Alltracman78.

supra97
02-09-2007, 08:59 PM
No, I will be changing to 215/50R 15.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that...eww who would want to go smaller? lol

So other than going down an entire rim size (which I am not), they should fit? Should I just suck it up and drive down to the tire place and ask them? :)

alltracman78
02-10-2007, 01:34 AM
A 215 50 15 will fit on a 15 x 6.5" wheel. Period.
That is your stock tire size.

How far from the original size you can go depends on the particular tire. Some will fit and some won't.
You should be able to run any 205 55 on the same wheel.
You had a 195 60, so at least some of them will work.
You also should be able to run at least some 225 50s
I can't tell you exactly unless I know what size exactly you are going to.
It also would depend on what size wheels you got.
If you got 15 x 6, that's thinner than stock.
But a 15 x 7 is thicker.
And of course a 16 or 17 would really change things....

MCcelica
02-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Well, I don't know if this will help you but I have a set of MB racing wheels that I used as a stock replacement on my old 5th gen. They're a few years old, and have some blemishes but no real significant damage. I'm willing to let them go for 50 bucks for all 4, but I don't have tires on them. PM me if you're interested or want pictures etc.

supra97
02-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Well, I went out and bought a pair of rims yesterday. I talked to the guy at the tire shop about the different sizes and how they would fit, and got some answers.

I appreciate all your help, guys.

Here's a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/olpchick/stuffs18010.jpg