PDA

View Full Version : OBX Parts, Good or Bad?

Dan_Q
02-08-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi There,

What are peoples general opinion of OBX aftermarket car parts?

The only information I can get hold of is that they tend to be copies of other manufacturers parts, that arent built too great and sometimes need modification to fit. In the UK we dont have suppliers of OBX parts so knowledge is non existant.

The reason I ask is that on ebay.com I have seen that OBX produce vernier camshaft pullies, and they are considerably cheaper than the fidanza / AEM or HKS ones which are also avaliable. As cam gears are quite important I wanted to see if anyone else had run the OBX ones and if they had any problems.

Many thanks for reading,

Dan. :D

burnyd
02-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Nothing but problems dont buy them.

Dan_Q
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
thanks for that :)

ciento44
02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
LOL... he was a little harsh...

But yes, general consensus is that they're not too great.

That being said, some of the Honda guys are having good luck with their LSDs that they got, if you nose around their forums.

And for what it's worth, we've had pretty good luck with the one that we're running on the Neon. It's holding 500+fwhp pretty well.

But their headers, manifolds, whatever.... stay away unless you can weld.

Dan_Q
02-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Cool.

I've even heard of so called "decent quality" cam gears shearing, so I think I'll plump for the HKS, AEM or Fidanza ones as an insurance policy :) shame really beacause theyre so much more expensive- get what you pay for though I suppose!

Hiko
02-08-2007, 11:38 PM
That being said, some of the Honda guys are having good luck with their LSDs that they got, if you nose around their forums.

And for what it's worth, we've had pretty good luck with the one that we're running on the Neon. It's holding 500+fwhp pretty well.

True, but the honda guys did have to rebuild theirs with different (higher quality) washers. Outta curiosity, did you guys do that on the neon?

But their headers, manifolds, whatever.... stay away unless you can weld.

That's what I was going to say.

Never had heard about cam gears shearing off, I thought that it would be hard to screw up making a cam gear.

T-spoon
02-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I've got AEM cam gears on my supra and I don't like them at all. I had to use different bolts for the backing plate to clear the gears, and they're very fragile. If I wanted to get adjustable cam gears now I would have ChrisK make them using the OEM gears as cores.

ciento44
02-09-2007, 12:39 AM
True, but the honda guys did have to rebuild theirs with different (higher quality) washers. Outta curiosity, did you guys do that on the neon?

Actually... we didn't yet. We did take most of it apart and retorque it, because that seemed to be the main issue that people were having. Two of the top bolts or whatever were disturbingly easy to get off by hand. Or at least that's what we did when we first got it. I'll have to ask him if he did the washers.

It's doing fine so far... the real test will come when get slicks on it when the drags open back up this spring. :) But as of right now, it's spinning both front tires with Falken Azenis RT615s in 4th gear when full boost hits, so i'm assuming it's doing it's job. ;)

burnyd
02-09-2007, 07:00 AM
every obx product that I have ever put on a honda... my experience.. well heres the list so far..

diff
fmu
manifolds
downpipes

Lets start with the diff.. yah it blew up after a month.
fmu ALWAYS! Leaks.. gets fuel everywhere
the manifold + downpipes always break..

VikingJZ
02-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Toyota used to use their pedals and shift knobs as an aftermarket upgrade on the Celica.

Maybe it was Scion on the tC...I don't remember.

T-spoon
02-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Toyota used to use their pedals and shift knobs as an aftermarket upgrade on the Celica.

Maybe it was Scion on the tC...I don't remember.

They still do, for lots of Toyotas. Shift knobs, sport pedals, etc. Course, you're not looking at critical operational parts there, just decorative stuff.

DarkSideCelica
02-09-2007, 06:35 PM
wat abt camber kits? any word on tht?

Dan_Q
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I've got AEM cam gears on my supra and I don't like them at all. I had to use different bolts for the backing plate to clear the gears, and they're very fragile. If I wanted to get adjustable cam gears now I would have ChrisK make them using the OEM gears as cores.

t-spoon- thanks for that. what type of gear are the supra ones, 3 or 5 bolt type?

I've been offered some 3 bolt AEM ones for the 3S.

T-spoon
02-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Hmm, by 3 or 5 bolt, you mean number of slots/bolts there are for the adjustment? Now that you ask me I couldn't swear it, but I'm thinking mine are 3 bolt, but the more I think about it the less sure I am. I've had the timing cover on since I put it back together so I dunno for sure.

Dan_Q
02-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Yup, the amount of bolts for adjustment- they make two types. cheers for that :)