PDA

View Full Version : I've got 1001 Q's about my new Celica plz help.

GT4SOM
01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey guys, thats right. As you might have know I just bought CSnow's car on tuesday. Anyways, I think its the best thing I've ever bought in my life but the only downside is that the car has so many things on it that I've never seen. I've got a couple of questions.

1) Is the position of the bov ok where its at? I think it might be too far from the turbo. Would it damage the turbo in the long run? A picture of the engine can be found here. http://img32.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img32&image=dscf03850nz.jpg

2) The car is equipped with greddy profec b ebc. The car consistantly boosts 16psi under wot. What exactly is the difference between the high and low boost knobs? I've tried switching down to the low boost mode and turning the knob to the left a little, but it still boosts 16psi.

3)What are the effects in adjusting the mild and sharp knob on the ebc?

Those the are questions I have for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any of the manuals for the device(s)
For the record I have not messed with any of the settings on the car. I don't boost very often, I just don't find it in my daily driving style. The only Times i've taken it to 16psi was on the on ramp of the highway. :bowdown:

mikeswickednick
01-28-2005, 10:47 PM
if the BOV (BPV) recirculates back into the intake stream get a stock BOV/BPV you will run rich for no real improvements

also if there is a catch can make sure your tobing is of a large enough diameter b.c if not the pressure that biulds up can affect turbo seals

anyways HAVE FUN! and autox the crap outta that car

Rayme
01-29-2005, 12:06 AM
where's your air filter ?

GT4SOM
01-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Didn't have a air filter :ugh: I'm going to try to work on the car this weekend. I plan on doing the brakes, see what I can do about a filter. Theres not that much room for one. Also See where I can find a EGT gauge without trading an arm. Mike suggested I get a slim line air fan, which is a good idea, that would give me plenty of room for one. I'll see where I can get some aluminum pipe mandrel bent.

Luni
01-29-2005, 07:07 AM
What you need to do is turn the high boost knob and the low boost knobs down all the way. Also turn the gain to the middle.

Then put the switch on the low boost mode and get on the freeway or somewhere you can open it up in a given gear for a good amount of time. Set your low boost somewhere from like 7-12 using the knob (it will adjust it on the fly). Then flip the switch into high boost and adjust it somewhere from like 15-18psi or so (whatever you want) and then you can just use the switch to switch between them.

The gain knob is how responsive it is. Does it bleed off slightly to make it more linear, or does it wait till all psi is met and dump it off to the wastegate so it is way responsive and more spikey. Just play with it. That boost controller kicks ass.

GT4SOM
01-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Ok thanks luni, I'm going to try that on the way back home from work today. I only want to boost like 10 psi. I'll be more then happy with that. :D

csnow
01-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Talk to Marc @ Jamasco. I sent you an email with his #. There is a manual boost controller on the car as well. It sits on the transmission side of the motor near the piping. He will be able to help you.

Chris

ChrisD
01-29-2005, 03:16 PM
The BOV is perfect where it currently sits.

I'd do an air filter but with some piping to draw air from somewhere cooler than right beside the radiator. :)

You can get a greddy EGT gauge from an ebay retailer for fairly cheap (120 or so)

Sounds like you've picked up a pretty sweet ride. Did Jamasco dyno it?

GT4SOM
01-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Chris seems like Jamasco did dynoed it. CSnow put up a dyno chart. Said it ran 302 whp at 15psi. I'll tell you what, the car hauls alot of ass. Too bad traction sucks. I was going to pick up an Auto Meter EGT kit for like 150$ The guy said it will resist up to 1600 f. Is that high enough resistance for my exhaust? I was going to buy it but I just wanted to make sure the damn probe wouldn't melt. :D

Hey Chris S thanks for the email, keep me updated. I just got done talking to marc, he told me what was up with the car. I herd the funniest story of my life. He said that they specifically tuned it to run that rich b/c he original owner was learning how to drive 5spd on it. LMAO. He told me it dynoed 300whp running that rich. Thats pretty fuggin sick! Yeah as far as the ebc goes, its not hooked up, its running off the mbc. I found that out on my way to work today. He told me the cylinoid of the ebc should be under the hood. I'm probably just going to stick with the mbc for a while. I think that I don't have enough dicipline yet to run the ebc. :D

ChrisD
01-29-2005, 07:05 PM
wow 302whp! thats pretty impressive. drive safe. :)

1600 is fine in most cases, a little more wouldn't hurt because if something bad happens or the timing is retarded you could see temps that high. In terms of build quality though, I'd get Greddy over Autometer any day. (I have owned both brands of EGT gauges)

Dirty
01-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Damn...I was just about to ask you to meet me on Gandy...but 302 hp...Um nevermind...Good deal man...I gotta come check it out one of theese days.

Lagos
01-30-2005, 07:23 PM
that motor really is great stuff and shows what can be done with a 3sgte.
be very carefull with that car and respect it.

like chris said, get the greddy egt gauge. its about the same price as the autometer on but a million times better in quality.

csnow
01-30-2005, 08:13 PM
I told you the car had balls :) I am glad you like it and I am glad you are satisfied. It is hard to explain that kind of car to someone unless they know Celica's. She couldn't have found a better home. Just dont get stupid with it! I saw where Florida is trying to pass new drag laws on the news last night. Looks like they are going for 2 years behind bars and taking the car for life. Don't let me see you on the news :lolhittin I got me another ride myself. Going to Savanah to meet halfway too pick it up next Saturday. 89 Supra with 320 RWHP @ 12psi and it passes NC emissions as the car is from NC. I love happy endings : :D :D Oh by the way... the dyno chart is in the glove box for you and the socket for the rims.

GT4SOM
01-31-2005, 01:57 AM
Hey great find chris. Theres always alot more potential in a 7m. Yes the car has a good home here :) . Once I fix my other celica I'm going to stick the GTS into the garage. You are going to stick around in the forums right? Anyways I pulled the speedo cable, and I inspected both of them. Turns out neither of them are broken. I spun the one that leads to the speedo, and it would make the needle bounce. That means that the speed sensor may be broken which sucks. Does anybody know what sensors are compatible with the mr2 lsd tranny? Would the one out of a GT 5 speed work by anychance?

alltracman78
01-31-2005, 06:32 PM
if the BOV (BPV) recirculates back into the intake stream get a stock BOV/BPV you will run rich for no real improvements

Just a fyi, that setup [Celica 3SGTE] doesn't have a stock bpv. Only the MR2 and ST205 have that.

And running a bov with the afm is no big deal. You only run rich for a split sec, so you end up backfiring as you shift.