PDA

View Full Version : How to test struts 92 celica

jgcox6
02-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I am needing to know how to test my struts on the front and back...i hear rattling in the back areas...trunk empty...HELP please...

david in germany
02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I can almost bet it is the same sound I am hearing... Bushings on the sway bar.. when they are bad it sounds like something is thumping in the trunk on bumps.
craw under the back and shake the bar, if it is loose, there is your problem.
I bought the struts also but then figured out it was the bushings. :owned:

zmile06
02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Umm try checking the bolts first some times they can come loose they shouldnt though...

After that the only real way to test them is to take them off the car and check how well they compress and de-compress. When i took off my stock struts they would not de-compress. There was nothing at all pushing it up, it was pretty halarious i thought.

Rattling could also be the jack moving around, i used to hear that when i was taking corners fast.

Your struts are probable bad if it rattles or not is another question:)

zmile06
02-07-2007, 09:33 PM
I can almost bet it is the same sound I am hearing... Bushings on the sway bar.. when they are bad it sounds like something is thumping in the trunk on bumps.
craw under the back and shake the bar, if it is loose, there is your problem.
I bought the struts also but then figured out it was the bushings. :owned:
Stupid question how hard is it to replace sway bar bushings? Do you drop the entire sway bar?

Dan_Q
02-08-2007, 01:43 AM
No need to remove if US models are the same as UK ones.

There are small U shaped brackets around the bushes which come off with 2 bolts. Whip these off and you can replace the bushes. I keep meaning to get around to this myself....

If you want to test first I have heard of people putting tape around the sway bar where the bushes go and the re-assembling- if the noise gets quieter then its the bushes which are worn.

However in my opinion, as your taking it apart anyway to try the tape, might as well just pop new bushes in there anyway as theyre not too expensive!

alltracman78
02-08-2007, 02:35 AM
IIRC they're ~ $13 each from the dealer....

david in germany
02-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Stupid question how hard is it to replace sway bar bushings? Do you drop the entire sway bar?

Just did the replacement, it takes a 12mm socket an extension and ratchet. 2 12mm nuts on both sides and it takes less than 5 min total if you have ramps ( I do :)) no need to take the bar loose. just remember which way the 2 holders are facing and it is fast and painless! If you have a little rust on the nuts I would suggest hitting it with some PB blaster (not on the brackets though only on the nuts and avoid any over spray!
Car is nice and quiet now! $15-20, 10 min repairs FTW!:bigthumbu

PSSST anyone need a pair of Gabriel Premium struts BNIB? :owned:

KoreanJoey
02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
My instance with noises from the back of the car was warn out sway bar endlinks. You can check it by checking if it's really loose. Essentially they should have some resistance when you try to roll it side to side.