PDA

View Full Version : Possible MKIII Supra Project

Murgatroy
02-07-2007, 06:39 AM
I am going this weekend to take a look at a trio of `86 Supras.

According to the owner, two are hit in the front, otherwise whole, and one is fine bodywise, but the interior is stripped and the head gasket is blown.

Nothing mechanical matters to me though, and here is why...

I happen to have a built Ford 302 that was going to go into my `88 Mustang before I sold it, and a buddy of mine (who I have been searching for a Celica for) has a Chevy 327/Powerglide combo looking for a home. I am pretty sure that a MKIII Supra would be the perfect home for either engine. :hehe:

I know you purists out there are going to scream something or other about blasphemy, and I don't care, I have never held any false notions about American Muscle and Japansese handling prowess. I intend to mate the two and make love to my bastard Supra for many hours on end.

I am going to go take a look at them this weekend and see if the hassle is gonna be worth it, from what I can gather the seller is motivated. I don't know if they are NA or Turbo, Targa, or manual, the seller didn't know too much about them. I am sure I will have some parts to get rid of though.

85gtsblackman
02-07-2007, 06:56 AM
sigh

:delete thread:

turbo was not offered in 86

Murgatroy
02-07-2007, 06:57 AM
That makes the decision to go with a V8 easier then if the turbo wasn't offered.

alltracman78
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
At least it's RWD. :)

327 FTW!

Hookecho
02-07-2007, 02:29 PM
that would be a kick ass project.

2kSnakEater
02-07-2007, 03:10 PM
+1 on that 327, those motors were awesome back in their days since you could rev those fckers almost as high as the modern 4cyl

Cavanagh
02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Cool, i'd hope there manual an ttops would be nice.

T-spoon
02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
sigh

:delete thread:

turbo was not offered in 86

Hold on there Tex, he might have meant 86 1/2 rather than 86. Murg, ask him if they are MA61 (86) or MA70 (86.5). If they're 86.5s, that's the start of MKIII production.

Anyhoo, sounds like a nifty project either way. I don't consider it blasphemy, if it works and it's fun, go for it. :bigthumbu

andy
02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
take us alot of pictures

1990CelicaGT-S
02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I love these cars. Hopefully they're worth it.

mtp_69_i
02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
he said mkIII

yeah the chevy motor would be nice enough. Is the powerglide a 2 speed auto in the states too? We had it here in the early GMH vehicles. With a 4.11 diff they can be a good box for drag racing.

goodluck! :)

Murgatroy
02-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah, the powerglide is a two speed tranny. We use them for drag racing.

I used to drag race a lot, read drag racing, not street racing. I had a Camaro in the 10's before I sold it and got out of it. It is something that I have been itching to get back into for a long while, and I think the Supra will be a a great start to get back into it with.

I will update this weekend after I go and look at them.

mtp_69_i
02-08-2007, 06:44 AM
sounds like fun and a good project! goodluck man.

Rix86
02-08-2007, 07:09 AM
the ford has the distributor in the front... sink that bitch way back in the bay, try to et some decent weight balance from that big cast iron lump.
easy power though, if you don't mind pushrods.

Murgatroy
02-08-2007, 07:49 AM
I have been tuning Domestics for a long time, I only recently got into Imports. Chaos was the first Import I ever owned and I have had her for 6 years. Pushrods don't bother me, in my opinion there is no sound on earth to compare to the lope of a healthy small block with a big nasty cam in it. Since there are three of them, I am probably gonna drop the 327 in one, and the 302 in another and use the 3rd for parts to get the other two up to shape. Interiors and creature comforts aren't even in the equation. I have a pair of Celicas for my Daily Drivers and the wife has a Buick, so the real challenge is convincing her to let me get more cars, she is already threatening to make me get rid of one. I am of course refusing.

In all honesty I am not thinking the Supra will last more than a year before there is nothing left of it. I am that rough on a racecar. :hehe: When I sold my Camaro the only things left in it that was good was the steering wheel, shifter and engine. I am actually thinking about talking to my uncle about getting the motor back, now that would be fun. 500 horses and an equitible amount of chassis ruining torque is a whole lot of fun. :D

1990CelicaGT-S
02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Dont let her get rid of any of the cars. I wish I could keep all my cars at the moment, but I have to get rid of them for now.

A MKIII Supra would be a sweet drag monster.