PDA

View Full Version : 3s-fe + C52 solutions?

Amaymi
02-07-2007, 06:04 AM
I've got an 87 Gt with a 3s-fe in it and auto trans. The trans is starting to slip almost constantly and about to take take a dump so I got a c52 tranny and flywheel from a friends 88 GT-S for free and i've got another 88 GT 5speed in a junk yard that I can yank parts from.

The problem I have as some of you probably already know is that the starter for the GT-S tranny sits right where my GT exhaust manifold and cat are. So does anybody know any manifold/header combinations or brands that will allow me to use the GT-S tranny with my 3s-fe. Or is the only solution making custom headers?

I was thinking of just using a 3s-ge manifold but I figure that it's ability to clear the starter is at least partly due to the fact that the head is wider. I also was thinking about using an aftermarket 5s-fe header as I've read on here about people using these on the 3s-ge's.

90CelicaST
02-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Im pretty sure the GTS trans isn't a C52. C52s came on A series engines.

Amaymi
02-07-2007, 06:33 AM
I could very well be wrong. I'm going from the haynes manual which only listed 2 manual transmissions for the 4th and 5th gen celica's (excluding alltrac's) and I know that the GT-S tranny is different from the GT tranny. The tranny in the junkyard GT has the starter on the drivers side of the tranny and my GT-S tranny has the starter on the passenger side. (USDM)

andy
02-07-2007, 06:39 AM
if its got a 5sfe in it, the manual tranny is going to be s53 or s54 depending on the year.

85gtsblackman
02-07-2007, 07:29 AM
4th gens had an s52 trans

Amaymi
02-07-2007, 02:35 PM
So What tranny do I have then? Is it an MR2 tranny cuz it doesn't look like the transmission in the other Celica. Are the trannies stamped with their code? I'll try to take a picture cuz like I said the starter is on the oposite side.

burnyd
02-07-2007, 05:49 PM
a block .. 7a/4a = C labled trans.. thats anything out of a `Celica St,metro,prizm,corolla,mkI mr2...
S block.. 5sfe/3sfe/ = S labled trans.. you can use any of the following.. S54,s53,s52.... but I think the correct one for your car would be a S52... Im almost pausitive.. but even if you get a S54.. which has a electronic speedo your speedo wouldnt work.. but no big deal.. you can get a auto trans from a camry 4cly which is a s53 for pretty cheep.. before 94 there all s53s after there all s54s which is a elec speedo.

TheNefariousOne
02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
a block .. 7a/4a = C labled trans.. thats anything out of a `Celica St,metro,prizm,corolla,mkI mr2...
S block.. 5sfe/3sfe/ = S labled trans.. you can use any of the following.. S54,s53,s52.... but I think the correct one for your car would be a S52... Im almost pausitive.. but even if you get a S54.. which has a electronic speedo your speedo wouldnt work.. but no big deal.. you can get a auto trans from a camry 4cly which is a s53 for pretty cheep.. before 94 there all s53s after there all s54s which is a elec speedo.

Just to clarify, the C series trans are in 5th and 6th gen Celica STs but NOT 4th gen. 4th gen STs also use the 3sfe, so they would use the same transmission as a GT. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the automatic from the Camry isn't an s53 either. I'm not sure exactly what it is (and frankly I don't feel like looking it up haha) but I know it's not called S53 as well.

Oh, and the GT-S, GT, and ST all share the same transmission. They're all S series engines, this S series transmissions. According to the Service Tech manual in the BGB section of the site, it was an S53 in 1989. Whether it was different in 1987, that I don't know.

Amaymi
02-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Wow then I wonder where the hell this tranny came from originally. It was pulled out of a 4th gen GT-S that had a 3s-ge motor. So now i wonder how that car had this tranny in it with out the starter banging into the exhaust. I know it came out of a 4th gen because he pulled his old 3s-ge motor and trans out in order to put in a 3s-gte motor and trans (lsd I think) so its not like there were lots of trannies laying around and I got the wrong one. If it won't work no prob cuz I can take the 5-speed out of the 88 ST that I was gettin all of the misc. parts off of. I wasn't useing it in the first place cuz I figured that if the GT-S 5-speed was different then it would have a little better gear ratios for sports driving.