PDA

View Full Version : Local GT find

CollapsedNut
02-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I saw a red 5th gen GT sittin behind a shop awhile back and I passed it again last weekend and it was still there...its been there like 8 months. So I go in and talk to the shp owner, turns out this celica was brought in for a timing belt and they found when the belt broke the valves got bent. shortly after the cars owner brought it to the shop he was arrested for armed robery. Owner is now in jail, has not talked to the shop owner in 8 months so I call up the DMV and I found that a shop can charge a storage fee if a car is left on the lot and at anypoint the storage fee becomes more than the value of the car the shop owner can get the title and sell the car! So the shop owner is going to the DMV soon-ish and will apply for the title. If all goes good I should have a GT with plans of a 3sgte swap in the next few months, thank god for tax returnes.

Idiot Stick
02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Is it a hatch?

CollapsedNut
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
GT=coup

T-spoon
Huh, dunno why the valves would have been damaged from just the timing belt going out. Reck'n it doesn't really matter if you were swapping though.

Idiot Stick
Booo

Hatch > coupe IMO

burnyd
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
^^ thank you for your opinion it is much needed.

good luck with your swap

CollapsedNut
02-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Huh, dunno why the valves would have been damaged from just the timing belt going out. Reck'n it doesn't really matter if you were swapping though.

Does the 5sfe valves not open far enough to meet the piston if the belt breaks...most 4cly valves open far to get more power.

T-spoon
02-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Does the 5sfe valves not open far enough to meet the piston if the belt breaks...most 4cly valves open far to get more power.

On non-intereference engines like the 5s (and any engine toyota made through the 90s that I can think of right off hand), the valves are not ever supposed to go low enough to hit the pistons as far as I know, reguardless of timing.

ciento44
02-06-2007, 06:50 PM
GT=coup

There's GT Hatchies, too....

I just don't like them. :P

2kSnakEater
02-06-2007, 06:52 PM
There's GT Hatchies, too....

I just don't like them. :P

Rick's GT is a Hatch. It looks like a half ass GTS, like somebody forgot to glue on the flares.

ciento44
02-06-2007, 06:59 PM
^Exactly.

GT-S hatch, or Coupe.

Or go home. :P

Idiot Stick
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
^Exactly.

GT-S hatch, or Coupe.

DIE DIE DIE DIE

2kSnakEater
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
^Exactly.

All-Trac

fixed :cool:

Playfortoday
02-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't see how the valves were bent. They are non interference like T mentioned already. Something else was up with it.

CollapsedNut
02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
then its possable the valves arent damaged, you know how the small shops try to make money. So even if they arent bent he still said it so I can use that to lower his asking price hehe :D

ciento44
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
DIE DIE DIE DIE

I retract my statement..... i love that little lip spoiler on some of the GT Hatches. It's awesome.

ciento44
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
fixed :cool:

I was going by body style....

AllTracs are overrated. ;)

CollapsedNut
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
No you allready said it the GT feelings are hurt

ciento44
02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
No you allready said it the GT feelings are hurt

Huh?

I think you're confused as to what i've posted... :)

I said that the GT Coupe > GT Hatch.

I have a coupe, and to be honest, i even kept it over an AllTrac that i could have probably finished if i had managed to sell the Coupe. Solution? I dumped the AllTrac. :P

Coupes are awesome.

CollapsedNut
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I have no clue if I understood or not :D lmao

Cavanagh
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
sweet shit dude, is it a 5spd or 4spd auto?

CollapsedNut
02-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I havent even looked to see. I dont really care either way.

burnyd
02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
DIE DIE DIE DIE

someone really likes metalica...... but anyways... yah doesnt make sense that the valves are bent.. but.. who cares your planning on swapping it anyways..

Morwan
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Coupes are awesome.

Lies. I wish I had a GT hatch, I could really use all the extra storage space. Not to mention they actually look good without a spoiler. My '90 GT doesn't have one (not an option in '90) and it looks goofy as hell.

VikingJZ
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Coupe.

I replaced my decklid with a spoiler from a 1993 Coupe. Its tight.

I thought of molding a Hatch spoiler onto the top of my spoiler for a flare.

Murgatroy
02-07-2007, 06:30 AM
someone really likes metalica...... but anyways... yah doesnt make sense that the valves are bent.. but.. who cares your planning on swapping it anyways..
It isn't actually a Metallica song, it is a cover of an old Misfits song.

I prefer the coupe over the hatch anyway as it is more rigid.

The 5SFE is a non-somethingorotherwordIcan'tspell engine and the valve are never displaced by the piston, as others have mentioned, a broken timing belt will not bend a valve.

andy
02-07-2007, 06:44 AM
to add, I SHREDDED a timming belt in my 5sfe one day it let go at 6000rpm in 3gear and it did NOTHING to the valves or anything like that. replace timming belt and its good to go. But it sure did scare the shit out of me. Even with the piston at TDC there no way the valve would touch unless theres a broken spring or something like that. Dont let the shop owner take you for a loop on that one. cause um yeah, they aint bent.

ALSO

HATCH > coupe ANY day

and i do have the awesome little lip spoiler :wiggle:

Murgatroy
02-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Coupe beats Hatch. This is fact. It is stiffer, lighter, more stable and so forth.

However if we are talking about aesthetics, then it is up to the person in question.

1990CelicaGT-S
02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I have a GT hatch. They look great except I'd rather the flared fenders.

burnyd
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
It isn't actually a Metallica song, it is a cover of an old Misfits song..

I didnt know that... weird..

KotahGTS
02-08-2007, 05:35 AM
i liked my hatch until in fell on my head while putting groceries in. i hated it for about an hour, and after the pain subsided i loved it again. it's a thing of beauty, if not a thing of pain.

donteatbugs
02-08-2007, 06:19 AM
an alltrac coupe would be cool. but i like my alltrac better than my old gt anyday

ciento44
02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
i liked my hatch until in fell on my head while putting groceries in. i hated it for about an hour, and after the pain subsided i loved it again. it's a thing of beauty, if not a thing of pain.

Weak. :P

Try having the whole damn car fall on you off of jack stands. Bruised ribs for 3 weeks = not fun and scarier than shit.

TheNefariousOne
02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Explain please sir. How in da fuck does that happen?

ciento44
02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
It was due to a really stupid idea, and nothing that i'll ever try again.

My exhaust broke and was dragging, and the buddy i was with had a jack, and two jack stands.

Soooo.... naturally, it seemed like it would be a good idea to drive the front wheels up on one of those parking dividers, and then jack the back end up. I put the e-brake on, which doesn't really work in my car, and left the car in gear. Pushed it a couple times to see if it was stable, and it seemed pretty good.

After ohhhhhh... 8 minutes of messing with the exhaust, almost got it wired up, the front wheels slipped off the divider, and of course the car came down on my chest.

So... while i'm pinned under there, my buddy had to get two people to help him lift the car off of me.

Good thing i'm not a bigger dude. :P

Playfortoday
02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
You are lucky to be alive. You would be dead had the wheels been off. Or how about a hot exhaust? Anyone remember that one elderly gentleman where the car crashed through his wall and landed on him and his bed. His received multiple injuries, but hat killed him was complications from the burns from the exhaust IIRC. It literally cooked into his body.

Azzazzyn
02-08-2007, 06:05 PM
my dads old fishing buddy needed to work on his boat and didn't have anyone to help, not sure how he set it up to work on it, but the boat came down on his and killed him instantly, it was all over the news that night

ciento44
02-08-2007, 06:12 PM
You are lucky to be alive. You would be dead had the wheels been off. Or how about a hot exhaust? Anyone remember that one elderly gentleman where the car crashed through his wall and landed on him and his bed. His received multiple injuries, but hat killed him was complications from the burns from the exhaust IIRC. It literally cooked into his body.

Yes on both counts. But luckily i'm skinny, and i wouldn't have been able to get the car up on the divider if it didnt' have wheels on it. :P

But yes.... once was enough. Not doing stupid shit like that again.

T-spoon
02-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Whoa, that would have done it for me. I'm already uneasy getting under a car with four properly placed jack stands, I can't imagine getting under one set up that way :eek:

Playfortoday
02-08-2007, 08:26 PM
You can ask Joel how much a freaked out when I had my car lifted with the engine hoist. I almost begged him not to go near the car when it was up. All it takes is a snap of the chain or a shifting in the weight.:eek2:

COLDAX
02-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Mountain bike in a hatchie beats roof rack on a coupe.