PDA

View Full Version : 4afe transmissions

CollapsedNut
02-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Im having a hell of a time finding a junked celica anywhere close to where I live. So I know the corolla had a 4afe so could I get a 5 speed from it to swap into my celica? I dont know if the corolla will have everything I need to make an auto to 5 speed swap work on a celica though...any ideas?

TheNefariousOne
02-02-2007, 06:03 PM
You're really better off just finding a Celica since you're going to need the pedal assembly, flywheel, master and slave cylinder, hard lines, etc etc etc. Have you called around to all the yards in your area? You may have to go a bit further...I had to go 45 minutes to find a decent one that actually had Celicas

CollapsedNut
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Ive called everywhere in my county and the county to the east, thats about 20 something yards and nothing...people areound here dont like to junk their cars lol they just let em sit in the back yard. I do know where a 5th gen GT is sittin, havent ever looked at it but I know it hasnt moved in a year or so...if its a five speed would it bolt to my 4afe?

zmile06
02-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Get a front clipped shipped to you along with the tranny.

Go to http://www.taprecycling.net/index.php this place is probable more expensive then normal junk yards but they only have toyota/lexus vechiles.

The 5sfe tranny is diffrent then the 4afe 5speed tranny, correct me if im wrong but it wont bolt up.

Converting auto to manual will take like 2 weeks to do by yourself and countless hours trouble shooting and doing tedious work. A local shop here quoted me 500 to do the conversion + parts.

I would recommend getting it done professional just because there is alot of crap you can screw up.

celicatrd93
02-02-2007, 10:53 PM
i did it on my integra 5 years ago, it was not that easy,and it is pretty hard to find a celica st 5speed, in st,louis there is 6 junkyards and they are huge they barely have any 5spd celica st i see alot more gts and gt then st. the other day they had a gts with red interior and the seats where red leather and they where spotless and i mean spotless i wish i bought them i did not have any money with me they were only 50 dollars for both. but good luck, i think it is easier to get a front clip it will save you time and you will have some spare parts leftover. but is it worth all that trouble and money for just a 5spd 4afe swap. because you would tranny,axles,mounts,clucth,flywheel and more think about it. if you be patient i will be getting a 4age 20v front clip in 2-3 months i could give you my parts for cheap. don't rush anything things will parts will come up. good luck

85gtsblackman
02-02-2007, 11:58 PM
auto to manual , the 4afe will still be slow

i had both, yes i had a 91 stx as some of u remember and i had a 90 st parts car that was auto

if your gonna do a 4age swap your gonna need another trans anyway, 4afe trans wont work

i wouldnt waist my money on it cause the only way to get decent hp from the 4afe is to turbo it

91 celica st
02-03-2007, 01:13 AM
auto to manual , the 4afe will still be slow

i had both, yes i had a 91 stx as some of u remember and i had a 90 st parts car that was auto

if your gonna do a 4age swap your gonna need another trans anyway, 4afe trans wont work

i wouldnt waist my money on it cause the only way to get decent hp from the 4afe is to turbo it

your 4afe tranny will work on any 4age

85gtsblackman
02-03-2007, 03:27 AM
it will work on the 4age 20v silvertop?

i saw where that trans didnt work

91 celica st
02-03-2007, 08:29 AM
yea itll work only as long as you use the 200 or 212mm flywheel the gze one wont fit in the bellhousing

TheNefariousOne
02-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Dude, it's not THAT hard. If you plan ahead and have all the parts and at least have an idea of what you're doing, you can have it done in a weekend. It took me longer because I had work and didn't have all the parts I needed.

You can use the parts from the GT -- well everything except the trans. You can most likely than take the trans from another car with the C52. I think it's worth it, especially if you've never attempted something like this. Gives you some wrenching experience, makes the car more fun to drive, and makes the car a lot easier to mod in the future.

85gtsblackman
02-03-2007, 04:36 PM
gt/gts/gtx shifter cables wont work

learned that the hard way

ciento44
02-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Call Brickyard Import Junkyard based out of Brooklyn, Indiana.

I know they have at least four 5th gen STs, and they stock all kinds of transmissions.

CollapsedNut
02-03-2007, 04:48 PM
^^ You know how far that is from me...ALOT

ciento44
02-03-2007, 04:51 PM
^^ You know how far that is from me...ALOT

If you come to the dragon meet, i could bring the stuff with me. They're only like 30 minutes from my apartment.

Wouldn't be the first, second, third, or fourth time i've had a transmission in the back of my car. :hehe:

Their phone number is 1-800-248-YARD.

Or non-toll-free 317-831-2627.

They say they have free delivery, but unfortunately i doubt that would include to you. :(

CollapsedNut
02-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Hmm ok man Ill give em a call, I wasnt planning on goin to dragon unless I had it fixed by then but this gives me a new reason to go haha Ill shoot ya a PM when I find out,.