PDA

View Full Version : and so it begins... my spoiler project. :)

JDMjosh
02-01-2007, 10:13 AM
well, noone bought ANYTHING i was advertising.. (search for my posts if you're still interested)

SOOOoo.. :) i'm gonna take one of my spare GTS spoilers and elongate it..

i hate fancy park bench spolers.. GT ones are kinda sweet because if you have 800+ horsepower it might serve a PURPOSE... but otherwise, they're gay.

shouldn't be too too hard to take some foam and fibreglass and extend my GTS spoiler another 6 to 8 inches off the rear of the car..

i think it'd look sweet. i've seen em for RX7's.. and Miata's.. and a bunch of other cars, but, as usual, there's hardly an aftermarket part out there for us 4th Gen Celica guys.

i like doin things my own way, anyhow...

i'll post pics when i get around to this. :)

=cJ=
02-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Any sketches to whet out appetites, this could look badass :D

1990CelicaGT-S
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I'd really have to see it. I can't picture it at all.

partyball
02-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I think I know exactly what your talking about and i was thinking of doing something similar with my spoiler. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

JDMjosh
02-13-2007, 01:16 AM
i'll see if i can find an example off of another car....

ciento44
02-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Ohhhh.... you're talking about one of those cool lip spoilers for the second gen RX7?

That would look badass.... so you're just extending the stock one out a bit to give it that kindof whaletail thing?

JDMjosh
02-14-2007, 03:51 AM
yeah, yeah that's pretty much exactly it!

only with less lip at the very edge than those rx7's. i'm envisioning, basically, continuing the lines of the existing spoler...

i've been scouring the interweb lookin for a good example but haven't found anyting aftermarket that's close to what i want. i pretty much got the idea from need for speed underground 2 (stop laughing).. it's the second level of generic spoiler upgrade you can get in the game... it continues the lines of the stock spoiler... but extends farther out from the rear of the car... . nice and flat. no gay wing, no fancy schmancy.. ANYTHING, really... just a nice, clean aftermarket look.

if i'm patient with the fibreglassing and the sanding.. it should turn out with a nice stock looking finish.. so patient i will be.

grip addict
02-21-2007, 09:25 AM
for reference-
this is the spoiler on my friend's fc. i pretty much stole the pic straight out of his profile, so you'll have to excuse the other cars : )
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/TheAutoholic/sig.jpg

something like that, right?

Hookecho
02-21-2007, 01:00 PM
sounds like an interesting project. keep us updated.

JDMjosh
02-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Sexy paint job, you have there man!.. what color is it? :)

That rx7 spoiler is elevated off the rear of the car. It's a bit different that what i'm picturing.

But I finally found an example to show you guys. While I was driving in my flat-deck work truck, I saw an 06 Hyundai Tiburon with an aftermarket spoiler that's so very very close to what I want to build. So here's some pics.. that's pretty much it. Only picture the panel between the hatch window and the very back edge of the spoiler flat and filled in. Not with those silly, toothy mount things you see here.. But that's the jist of it.

Hopefully you can picture it a bit better. :D:D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/JDMjosh/tibbyspoiler2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/JDMjosh/tibbyspoler3.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/JDMjosh/tibbyspoiler1.jpg

JDMjosh
02-25-2007, 03:15 AM
The whole rst of this car is silly, as a matter of fact. But focuson the spoiler. ;)

partyball
02-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Your description is exactly what I pictured. I have thought about doing the same thing with my spoiler but wasn't sure how I would go about it. Any progress on actually making it yet?

JDMjosh
02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Haha. Nope. Not as of yet, But I would like to start soon. Before the end of this month even. My cars are covered in snow, so in a few days i'll go out, do some brushing, and remove one of the spoilers.

I've been venturing around town, asking questions about foam, rubber or filler.. and getting advice on fibreglassing techniques from different guys that do it here.

I'll have it done by spring, for sure!

And i'll take pics of everything along the way.

Mister2T
02-26-2007, 12:37 AM
its a drag spoiler. seen some for 5th gens before.

Schmleff
02-26-2007, 03:29 AM
how are you going to build it?

style87
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I need to find a spoiler for my 4th gen conv. Don't want anything big or bulky, just something to cure the downward slope of the rear-end.All of the wrecking yard celicas around here have been pilfered of most things,anyone have ideas?How about side mirrors off of a 5th gen?Will those fit Anyone selling?

JDMjosh
03-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I have many ideas about how I will build it. Most involve a piece of hard rubber foam and a crap load of fibreglass.

i have an extra 4th Gen gt-s spoiler. And two side-view mirrors. or wait, Just the driver's side now.

Ajilon
03-24-2007, 12:12 AM
I need to find a spoiler for my 4th gen conv. Don't want anything big or bulky, just something to cure the downward slope of the rear-end.All of the wrecking yard celicas around here have been pilfered of most things,anyone have ideas?How about side mirrors off of a 5th gen?Will those fit Anyone selling?

If you look at the pix in my garage, my spoiler was actually off an Acura Integra. Can't recall the year though. I picked it up on a junkyard crawl one day. It's a perfect fit and I thought it looked pretty good. Not high up or ghey. Just gave her a bit of a sporty look.

grayscale
03-24-2007, 08:50 AM
If you look at the pix in my garage, my spoiler was actually off an Acura Integra. Can't recall the year though. I picked it up on a junkyard crawl one day. It's a perfect fit and I thought it looked pretty good. Not high up or ghey. Just gave her a bit of a sporty look.
Very nice, love your car, very taseful.