PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1988 Toyota Celca ALLTRAC

91celicagts
01-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Ok, here's the story:

Took it to gas station, put gas in it. Had a LOT of blue smoke (eventually went away, so I was relieved)

Car died at gas station, had to jump start it, jump started fine, and drove it to garage.

After we parked it, it wouldn't start up anymore. Tried to push start it. push started once, then sputtered out, never to push start again (was tried to push start with a car pushing it, so it's not a matter of speed)

Our Ideas:

Power to starter - Yes
ECU - throwing 52 in diag mode (knock, which had been there from before)
Spark - Can't test spark w/o starter
Wiring - Nothing looks to be out of order
Gas - Just put gas in
Air - All intake piping looks sealed

Any ideas guys?

** edit we just got a new starter and it started up just fine but after i shut it off to see if it would restart all the starter would do is click. do any of you guys have any ideas on what would be going on with it? btw its a 4th gen alltrac

ciento44
01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Check connection from battery to the solenoid. The "Click" is putting my bet on that.

I'm not sure what the affect that would have on push-starting it, though.

91celicagts
01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
ive checked the connections and everything. btw from edit up is my buddies post on alltrac.net but no one answered him. and when it does start when it gets to operating temperature and you give it gas it sputters and it dies.

Murgatroy
01-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Fuel filter.

Check for a good connection on the battery. If it is clicking, it means you are wither dead, or not a good enough connection.

If it will start, but not run under a load, it means you are not getting enough fuel.

Luni
01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Sounds like your alt isnt charging dude.

alltracman78
02-01-2007, 12:29 AM
First off, lets solve the starter problem.
Once the starter works all the time, it is MUCH easier to troubleshoot the not running....

It sounds like you have the infamous 4th gen no start. IIRC it's caused by the starter relay, and you will have to bypass it. I don't know exactly how to do it off the top of my head, but if you do a search for it it should come up.

BUT, first you need to make sure your battery is 100% and your connections are good. That means the clamps/terminals and starter connections are clean and tight.

Your alt has nothing to do with starting the car [other than recharging the battery on the previous trip so it will run the starter].