PDA

View Full Version : changing valve stem seals tomorrow

dooda
01-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi guys,
i'll introduce myself, i have had an st162 1986 sx for about 2 months now but it has been smoking quite a bit on start up and smokes thereafter for 1 minute or so. I have been gradually increasing oil viscosity as a temp fix but now they need changing.
I am pretty mechanically inclined by the way.

My question is i know the valve springs are deeply recessed on the 3sge and the valve spring compressor i have i don't reckon will work. Which type of spring compressor do you guys use? any pics and info would be greatly appreciated. I can't use the c calmp types as im doing it with the head on.

My second question: Is it best to go to a toyota dealer and get the seals there which i presume come in a kit. Or is it better to get some generic type ones from a parts store?

P.S. sorry about the essay :D and nice to meet you

T-spoon
01-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi guys,
i'll introduce myself, i have had an st162 1986 sx for about 2 months now but it has been smoking quite a bit on start up and smokes thereafter for 1 minute or so. I have been gradually increasing oil viscosity as a temp fix but now they need changing.
I am pretty mechanically inclined by the way.

My question is i know the valve springs are deeply recessed on the 3sge and the valve spring compressor i have i don't reckon will work. Which type of spring compressor do you guys use? any pics and info would be greatly appreciated. I can't use the c calmp types as im doing it with the head on.

My second question: Is it best to go to a toyota dealer and get the seals there which i presume come in a kit. Or is it better to get some generic type ones from a parts store?

P.S. sorry about the essay :D and nice to meet you

For the first question about the tool, I don't know. Second question: I use the Toyota seals. They do come in the engine overhaul gasket kits, but you can order them individually without having to buy the whole thing if you need just the valve seals.