PDA

View Full Version : bright headlights that ARE NOT BLUE

netman86
01-28-2007, 04:25 AM
I've always hated not being able to see. At night I cant see too much with my headlights if there isnt any street lights, so i've been looking for a type of headlight that would put off more light than a standard bulb.

All I ever find are the blue ones. You know, the ones that people in their ricers, and overpriced SUVs have. They drive around without a care in the world. Blue kills your ability to see in the dark. I used to know why, but now i dont care... but i wont be one of those people.

What kinds of headlights are available that wont blind all of the oncoming traffic?

I'm currently driving an oldmobile, but i'm looking for a gen6 (1996) celica, and thats what i'd be interested in new bulbs for.

Are LED headlights readily available yet? if so, are they worth it? I might allready be replacing the tail lights, blinkers, and all of the other lights with LEDs. ( i just love them so much)

Oh, and if anyone happens to know the laws about headlights in new england (maine here) i'd love to be filled in on that.

MCcelica
01-28-2007, 04:27 AM
Sylvania Silverstar. Nuff said.

Blackcloud
01-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Ive not heard of LEDs being produced for cars yet. im guessing they would suck since led light does not go very far. (maybe different lenses could change that?)

but werd on the silverstars

Slider
01-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Sylvania Silverstar. Nuff said.

Sylvania Silverstars have a blue tint over them, that reduces the output of the bulbs. Regular halogen sylvania bulbs actually put out more lumens than the silverstars. They do look nice though, the light looks white.

For the brightest output I would go with GE Nighthawk, Osram Silvestar (basically sylvanias without the blue tint), Phillips Vision Plus, Narva Rangepower as far as bulbs go. Also good contacts and grounds will help as well as a battery and alternator in good shape. The lights get dimmer as the voltage lowers.

Blackcloud
01-28-2007, 05:14 AM
I lied

http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/?p=844

Futant3
01-28-2007, 05:24 AM
All you really need to do is determine where in the color spectrum you want to be, I'm assuming white. Take that color and determine the bulb temperature necessary to produce it. Second, try to get that color temperature with a high luminance rating. The linky has a real basic chart for color temp Sylvania - Whiteness & Brightness (http://www.sylvania.com/LearnLighting/LearnAutoLighting/LightingYourAutomobile101/WhitenessandBrightness.htm).

I don't know much about the availability of bulb housings for 6th gens, but that is another area that will make an even bigger difference on your visibility. Like my Hellas that have a similiar cutoff pattern to some HID setups, all the light on the ground is :bigthumbu .

Futant3
01-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Sylvania Silverstars have a blue tint over them, that reduces the output of the bulbs. Regular halogen sylvania bulbs actually put out more lumens than the silverstars. They do look nice though, the light looks white.

For the brightest output I would go with GE Nighthawk, Osram Silvestar (basically sylvanias without the blue tint), Phillips Vision Plus, Narva Rangepower as far as bulbs go. Also good contacts and grounds will help as well as a battery and alternator in good shape. The lights get dimmer as the voltage lowers.

Ok I've heard this before about the Sylvania Silverstars and the Osram Silverstars being whiter. But where do you find the Osram's since Sylvania is part of Osram?

Slider
01-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Here's a tech article on blue bulbs like the Sylvania Silverstars Articles: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

I would take most manufacturer sites with a grain of salt as they are trying to sell the product to you.

Slider
01-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Ok I've heard this before about the Sylvania Silverstars and the Osram Silverstars being whiter. But where do you find the Osram's since Sylvania is part of Osram?

The Osram bulbs you can only get online or in Europe. In the US, you can pick up the GE Nighthawks which have similar output. You can buy them at Wal-Mart, brighter and cheaper than the Sylvania Silverstars. Don't get the "GE Nighthawk SPORT" though, those have a blue coating.

Futant3
01-28-2007, 05:43 AM
^^ Thanks good site and explanation, I've actually used that site before for instructions on adjusting my headlights.

vip09
01-28-2007, 09:03 AM
HID's.. I went HID and will never go back. I used to swear by Sylvania Silverstars, but after going HID I can see much much better. You can get different heat range HID's for different color. You can get almost a pure white. I really didn't notice much difference between regular halogen bulbs and the silverstars.

netman86
01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
are your HID's on that gen7 in your sig, vip09? thats exactly the kind of bulb i /dont/ want. Thats one of the most obnoxious ones ive seen! every time someones driving the other way with something like that, i frankly cant see the road, let alone cars, people, trees...

they're dangerous. one of these days they're going to cause an accident that involves me, and thats bad.

I'll look into those links after work ;)

vip09
01-28-2007, 05:30 PM
This is a picture of my lighting. As you can see, because of the projector headlamps, the light is focused to a certain place on the road. The light dims on the left side of the road. As long as you don't stare at my headlights, I don't see why there would be a problem.

http://photos-786.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v62/53/104/51204144/n51204144_30603786_1584.jpg

I never have a problem when passing other cars with HID's. I seem to get more upset over people with regular bulbs that have incorrectly aimed headlamps.

As I stated before previously, you can get HID bulbs in different heat ranges that don't appear blue. 5000k-6000k is like a pure white. I have 8000k bulbs on my car.

http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/colour/images/colour-temperature.gif

Futant3
01-28-2007, 07:43 PM
^^^Agreed! The problem isn't the blue tint at all, its really more of a symptom than the disease. People trying to make DIY HID systems that aren't properly designed and the DOT laws here about headlights are the problem.

DOT headlight laws are outdated by 50+ years, they require headlights to disperse a bunch of the light upward in an effort to illuminate signs from a time when signs weren't lighted or had a highly reflective coating. That's just not necessary anymore and then add in people not aiming those correctly or putting in bulbs the housing wasn't designed to handle and it creates real problems.

Look at high-end BMW, Lexus, Acura, or European code headlights and you'll notice that they put a TON of light on the ground and have a very defined area that's meant to avoid the problem of blinding people.

hyoctane
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
I think you are missing the point Futant3... If you are looking for optimum light output (lumens) from your stock halogens short of installing higher wattage bulbs, then you simply need to stick with the standard halogen. He asked for what options he has and you're shooting them down. Technically, you're not allowed to "upgrade" to any bulb that isn't in the OEM specifications of your vehicle (b/c that is the bulb/headlamp assembly that was DOT certified.) You do have other options, however, you might have to bend the rules.

From my personal experience, I have had stock H7's, PIAA Xtreme White, Sylvania Silverstars, and finally have gotten myself very nice plug and play HID kit.

Stock Halogens: Brightest output with standard halogen color. Not a "head turner," but it is the best option for visibility.
PIAA Xtreme White: Great color that matched OEM HID headlights. Light output was drastically altered, and I lost about 35-50% of my light output. I lost the cutoff that is associated with a projector style headlamp.
Sylvania Silverstars: Back to a more "yellowish" color, but still a touch of white. Light output was almost back to stock halogen quality, but still not 100%. Cutoff was back and visibility improved drastically. Blue coated bulbs are "For off road use only" for a reason.
4,300K H& HID Retrofit: Simply amazing. Light output was almost 3X compared to Sylvania Silverstars, cutoff is colorful and very apparent. No blinding glare, and visibility is second-to-none. Color is amazingly white with a peach hue (pictures don't do it justice b/c it's not blue.) From now on I am only going to have HID installed in my vehicle.

Here are some pictures that I have previously posed. Please note that I have a 4,300K H7 kit in my '01 GT-S. You'll see a picture comparing my headlights to my brothers (8,000K HID in '05 WRX) and then pictures of my car. Also note that my fog bulbs are 55W H3 Silverstars:

http://hosted.docman.cc/hyoctane/hid-01.jpg

http://hosted.docman.cc/hyoctane/hid-02.jpg

http://hosted.docman.cc/hyoctane/hid-03.jpg

http://hosted.docman.cc/hyoctane/hid-04.jpg

http://hosted.docman.cc/hyoctane/hid-05.jpg

Futant3
01-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure I follow what you mean about shooting down his ideas. His complaint was that he can't see with his headlights, doesn't want blue lights, and doesn't like being blinded.

I merely agreed with others that blue lights are not why he would be blinded nor are they the best for visibility. I also pointed out that DOT lights are designed to disperse light which automatically means lower road visibility. Which can be fixed with upgraded housings, DOT legal or not is an individual choice we all make. According to your own definition we both decided that being illegal was of little concern if it meant better visibility. Your own reviews of different options shows you've experienced the things that I and others have pointed out.

So without some kind of housing upgrade (HID, JDM projector) I think we both agree that a quality halogen bulb is best. He can adjust the color however he likes to avoid blue and increase visibility.

hyoctane
01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
^^^ No worries then Futant3, we're on the same page. But I also think that the JDM projector isn't the best option because it aims the light more toward the left to where in the USDM it would blind oncoming traffic. Can anyone clarify this...?

Slider
01-29-2007, 07:39 PM
^^^ No worries then Futant3, we're on the same page. But I also think that the JDM projector isn't the best option because it aims the light more toward the left to where in the USDM it would blind oncoming traffic. Can anyone clarify this...?

Yeah if JDM projectors are like the european spec lights they have a portion meant to light up the side of the road and signs they would not be too great for oncoming traffic over here without modification as the light would be thrown into oncoming traffic.

Futant3
01-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Yea I can't personally speak from experience on the JDM projectors, I just found it as an option on the 6gc.net site.

http://www.6gc.net/images/howto_photos/142_7.jpg

Actually most of Europe drives on the same side of the road as we do, it's the United Kingdom that's ass backwards.

Which Side To Drive On? (http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html)

Galcobar
02-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Only problem is, Japan doesn't drive on the same side of the road as North America and Europe, so the upturned corner meant to illuminate street signs is instead directed into oncoming traffic. Which rather neatly defeats the whole point of a sharp cutoff. That, and they're illegal in the US since the DOT standard from the 1950s is still law. It's unlikely you'd be pulled over just for your lights though, since a good beam pattern isn't something people/police look for.

HID can, if properly done in a housing and lens designed for arc discharge lighting, be a significant upgrade. Thus Punisher's use of an HID projector worked. Simply putting an HID system into a halogen projector is a bad idea. You might get a nice cutoff, but the light distribution under that cutoff will not be optimal.

On the original question of improved lighting:
Osram Silverstars, like other ultra-high efficiency bulbs, produce 50% more usable light than a standard H4 bulb. They are based off modern designs such as H7 and H9 bulbs, which is why there are no +50% H9s.

A Sylvania Silverstar is an Osram Silverstar with a blue tint, which moves the colour temperature up to 4000K from 3600K, but cuts the light output down to 10% over standard. Same idea as the Philips BlueVision.

Philips (Vision Plus) and GE (Nighthawk) also produce ultra-high efficiency bulbs -- just be aware that you get more light at the cost of life, 150 estimated hours versus a standard 800. There's even a +80% bulb from Philips, the X-treme Power, which takes the tradeoff even further.

High efficiency bulbs can be had, which give you 30% more light than standard with minimal lifespan tradeoffs (e.g Philips Premium, Osram Super).

Best source I've found for these bulbs is powerbulbs.co.uk, which ships for free anywhere in the world.