PDA

View Full Version : Fuel injectors for 3S-GE

Kiasis
01-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Long story short (as possible), my '88 GTS recently got a new engine (3sge) and apparently the fuel injectors are bad (according to the CA smog station). The mechanic tells me the car runs fine, but tried to change the injectors anyway. The injectors in the engine are color-coded 'red or pink.' However, from what I can tell from parts stores, they should be color-coded 'green.' The mechanic doesn't know what new injectors to put in the car. He tried the green (because that's what he was told it needed at the parts store, too) and the car instanly ran like crap. He put the pink/red back in.

I've learned that the color-coding is related to the amount of fuel being delivered and the pressure, and that it's critical the right injector be in the engine and that the injectors must be properly matched to the car's ECU (which wasn't replaced so is original).

If this helps anyone in answering, I think the 'new' engine may be a Japanese used engine (and perhaps a slightly later version of the Gen-1 3sge), as oppposed to an American re-built or used engine. Is it possible that the 3s-ge engines built in Japan were designed for one color injector and the orginal 3s-ge engine in the car (obviously a USA car) would have been designed for a different fuel injector (i.e., the green injector).

I've asked the mechanic to try and get me the actual engine number so I can try and track down through Toyota (or somewhere else) if the engine is off an American car or a Japanese car - and if that even matters.

Any help very much appreciated! Thanks, Kiasis

Rio_Cyber
01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBySubject/Injectors.html

is your engine looking like this http://www.aeu86.org/download/ae86/id/1217

or like this

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7898/z5mimg1096846863.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/enginepix/engines/3S-GE.gif

Kiasis
01-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the reply, Rio-cyber. Unfortunately, your second picture didn't come through. Even then, the car is in a shop in So-California and I'm up north, trying to solve this from 450 miles away. However, your reply suggests you're aware of some difference in 3S-GE engines. Can you easily explain what you think may be going on? Anything you can offer is much appreciated. Thanks, Kiasis.

allblackalltrac
01-30-2007, 04:03 AM
the light green(lime) ones come in the gen3 3SGE, yellow come in 5SFE, dark green from the 1ZZ, your red ones are 1st gen 3SGE, I have an extra set but I would reccommend you get them cleaned and balanced, or you can clean and balance the ones you already have.

Rio_Cyber
01-30-2007, 04:32 PM
all black, i have brown un mine 1st gen 3sgte , and also a 89 1 gen with green injector , and purple in 2 gen 3sge...

Kiasis
02-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Allblackalltrac,
If the 1st gen 3sge injectors are red, and the 3rd gen 3sge never made it to the states, do you know why only green injectors are spec'ed for my car on every aftermarket website I can find? Something is really screwy here that I can't figure out and neither can the mechanic, State SMOG rep, or my local dealer.

If I need to keep the ones currently in the engine, do you have any idea what it would cost to have them "cleaned and balanced" and what type of shop can do it? Thanks, Kiasis

p.s. here's the link to the website that seems to have the most accurate info I can find on Toyo injectors. 3sge is in the "Wiring-F" section http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBySubject/Injectors.html

Kiasis
08-09-2007, 04:40 AM
This is old and perhaps moot at this point, but I did a lot of research and found this:

The 88GTS fuel injector is considered normal (according to '88 BGB) putting out between 264-328 cc/min. If you average those two numbers, you get 296, one cc/min off of the green top injector spec'ed at 295 cc/min for the 88-89 GTS Gen 1 3SGE engine.

The 86-87 GTS Gen 1 3SGE engine is spec'ed for the brown top injector rated at 250 cc/min. This is a bit of speculation on my part, but I can confirm that the 86-87 does take a different injector from the 88-89 (local dealership).

The 2nd gen 3SGE is spec'ed for the pink (perhaps looking red or purple w/ age) injector rated at 315 cc/min. Again, some speculation, but according to the Nippon Denso chart, a different numbered, colored (and flow rate) injector from the other two.

So, my engine is running an injector rated slightly higher than spec, but w/in the BGB acceptable range.

I found a place that will clean and balance for $17/injector. Is that a reasonable price? I'd like to see what happens after I do that and get the carbon deposits cleaned out (suspect from cylinder compression at 180-185 psi).

Any chance this will lead to increased (i.e.,recovered) HP, or am I probably just cleaning things for engine longevity sake?

andy
08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
witch hunter performance will do it also. google them they have a good rep. Having them cleaned and balanced is just as good as getting new ones. and 17 is a good price.

cleaning them will provide with a more efficient burn of the fuel resulting in some gain in power and better fuel economy.

anachranerd
08-11-2007, 12:45 AM
FWIW, I just installed injectors on my 88 GT-S 3sge last night, any my injectors were green.(using the originals)

Kiasis
08-12-2007, 01:37 AM
^ yup! I may swap over my red ones at some point, but as long as they work w/in the specs described in the BGB I'll probably just leave'em - although I think I will send them off to be cleaned. Which reminds me, it says to drain all coolant before removing injectors. Why?

Saw Witch Hunters page. They also sound good, but do charge and extra $8/injector, and I couldn't see any difference between their equipment or process from the ones in WA that charge $17/injector.