PDA

View Full Version : Converting to synthetic...

hyoctane
01-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Silly question -- I've ran standard 5W-30 in my GT-S for over 5 years now. This is what the dealership has always dumped in -- but I think I'm going to do my own oil changes (its almost 1/2 the money) and I just was wondering if there is a problem with going from regular oil to synthetic. I've searched on Mobil's website, and they had a simple FAQ about it and they gave the big :bigthumbu ... So, I was wondering what your opinion was?

No I'm not impudent, just lazy... :cool:

CollapsedNut
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
They say switching to synthetic is no problem but from what ive heard if you switch back to regular it will hurt your seals...just what Ive heard no fact

Gary
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Do you currently have an oil leak.
If you don't, try switching to synthetic.
Check your oil consumption frequently after the switching.

vip09
01-25-2007, 07:00 PM
I use Royal Purple 5w30 in my 2zz. It's like $8 a quart, so an oil change runs nearly $50. A helpful hint: buy Toyota filters by the case. You get 10 filters for around $35.

hyoctane
01-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I was planning on sticking with the OEM filter from Toyota.. No reason to switch. However, no oil leak but I'm around 81k mileage, so I figured it couldn't hurt to go synthetic.

Also, if I recall, doesn't the 2ZZ take 4.8 quarts of oil?

vip09
01-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I was planning on sticking with the OEM filter from Toyota.. No reason to switch. However, no oil leak but I'm around 81k mileage, so I figured it couldn't hurt to go synthetic.

Also, if I recall, doesn't the 2ZZ take 4.8 quarts of oil?

I believe so. I always buy 5 quarts.

Gary
01-25-2007, 07:17 PM
5-quart jug of Mobil 1 is about $23 @ Walmart.

hyoctane
01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Silly thought.. Isn't 4.8 quarts of oil around 4.5 liters? Our engine only has 1.8L of displacement... hmm.

CollapsedNut
01-25-2007, 07:28 PM
....dude...you shouldnt be filling your combustion chamber with oil so i have no clue why you would compare the the ammount of oil to the displacement...

PhillyDRFT
01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
....dude...you shouldnt be filling your combustion chamber with oil so i have no clue why you would compare the the ammount of oil to the displacement...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Unless you have over 100k on you'r engine there shouldent be a reason for you to switch to synthetic. Keep in mind mobil 1 wants to sell you oil.

hyoctane
01-25-2007, 07:57 PM

You're a complete moron if you think that is what I was talking about. I was comparing that the complete displacement of our 4 cylinder engine is miniscule in comparison to how much oil is required to fill the oil pan and lubricate the complete engine.

Congratulations, you win the idiot of the day award. :bigthumbu

andy
01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
whoa, a lil hospitality please.

Playfortoday
01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Stepping in to say, don't go there. This is the internet IRL. No drama.

Gary
01-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Unless you have over 100k on you'r engine there shouldent be a reason for you to switch to synthetic. Keep in mind mobil 1 wants to sell you oil.
Why is that?
In everyday operating condition, any engine at any mileage will benefit from synthetic oil.

Fuelish
01-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Why is that?
In everyday operating condition, any engine at any mileage will benefit from synthetic oil. And, just to add my 2 cents-less...I was under the impression that using synth oil in a high mileage engine that's been "raised" on dino oil could lead to excessive oil use/burning/leaking/whathaveyou due to synth being smaller molecules than plain jane oil, and leaking past worn rings/seals/whatever ???!!!??? Dunno, that was just my impression - I am not an engineer, nor do I play one...anywhere...anytime ;) I still use plain old-fashioned oil in both my vehicles (wife's '05 'Rolla S, and my '92 Celi vert)..........see no need to spend big $$$ for lubrication, imho.

hyoctane
01-25-2007, 09:07 PM
And, just to add my 2 cents-less...I was under the impression that using synth oil in a high mileage engine that's been "raised" on dino oil could lead to excessive oil use/burning/leaking/whathaveyou due to synth being smaller molecules than plain jane oil, and leaking past worn rings/seals/whatever ???!!!???

You and I are seeking the same answer... Does anyone know the truth to this?

Futant3
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
see no need to spend big $$$ for lubrication, imho.

:moany wife in background:

I'd also like some documentation for the benefits and possible issues, seems to be debated regularly.

hobbie2k
01-25-2007, 09:11 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mobil 1 does want to sell him oil, but that doesn't mean it's all propaganda. I say go for it on the switch if you want. Just keep an eye out for oil use and leaks. My Malibu was fine when I got it from the dealer, but when I switched to Mobil 1, it revealed a tiny crack in the oil pan that was too small to leak regular oil. Dealer fixed it under warranty and everything's fine now.

Also, I started using Mobil1 in my '91 Sentra when it had 95k on the clock. I sold the car two years and 50k some miles later and never had an issue with oil loss or consumption.

Just keep in mind that synthetic will leak easier than regular oil will so you have to keep a closer eye on it, but you should be fine.

alltracman78
01-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Exactly.
Adding syth to a high mileage engine will NOT necessarily cause all kinds of leaks.
I added it to my Celica at over 100k, and it didn't add any leaks or burn any oil.

The advantage to synth oil is it takes longer to break down than regular oil, and also takes much longer to sludge up....

And for the record, the 2ZZGE takes 4.2 quarts of oil, NOT 4.8....

CollapsedNut
01-26-2007, 12:16 AM
You're a complete moron if you think that is what I was talking about. I was comparing that the complete displacement of our 4 cylinder engine is miniscule in comparison to how much oil is required to fill the oil pan and lubricate the complete engine.

Congratulations, you win the idiot of the day award. :bigthumbu

I wasnt tryin to say your dumb I know that isnt what you were saying but the way you put it made it sound like that. Sorry if I insulted you there I was just having fun with your wording

hyoctane
01-26-2007, 01:43 PM
I wasnt tryin to say your dumb I know that isnt what you were saying but the way you put it made it sound like that. Sorry if I insulted you there I was just having fun with your wording

No worries -- I was having a miserable day when you posted. We're all a big Celica family so no hard feelings. ;)

vip09
01-26-2007, 07:00 PM
And for the record, the 2ZZGE takes 4.2 quarts of oil, NOT 4.8....

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/vip09/2zzoil.jpg

4.8 US quarts w/ oil filter change.

*edit: LOL Toyota made a typo in the BGB. Look at Dry fill.. it says Imp. ats instead of qts.

CandianCelicaGT
01-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Mobil 1 kept my GT going. I swear by it in combination with toyota filters. I Also have semi synthetic oil in my gearbox, what a difference it made!!

alltracman78
01-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Guys, thanks for keeping it civil. :)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/vip09/2zzoil.jpg

4.8 US quarts w/ oil filter change.

*edit: LOL Toyota made a typo in the BGB. Look at Dry fill.. it says Imp. ats instead of qts.

I got my specs from TIS [online BGB]. I work at the dealers.
I guess someone somewhere got mixed up on one or the other... :shrug:

hyoctane
01-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Guys, thanks for keeping it civil. :)

;)

Well, I decided to go right to the source and called the master tech at Redline Oil. I told him about my car (’01 GT-S, 80,XXX miles, 11.5:1 CR, etc…) and I was told that converting over to synthetic is not a problem at all. Redline uses an ingredient that swells the seals/gaskets like regular non-synthetic oil, so there are no worries of that. I also mentioned to him the general myth I’ve read stating that synthetic oil will cause/make leaks more apparent. He told me that synthetic oils don’t cause leaks by themselves, and that what happens is that the new synthetic “washes” away the oil deposits of the non-synthetic oil that is plugging the hole. He also said there is nothing specifically required in regards to switching from non-synthetic to synthetic, and that you can also convert back without a problem….

Just thought I would pass the word on… Thanks for the help guys!

Fuelish
01-26-2007, 10:39 PM
;)

I also mentioned to him the general myth I’ve read stating that synthetic oil will cause/make leaks more apparent. He told me that synthetic oils don’t cause leaks by themselves, and that what happens is that the new synthetic “washes” away the oil deposits of the non-synthetic oil that is plugging the hole. OK, that was what I was alluding to, perhaps not stated too clearly on my part. I'm sure if you're engine is "tight" then synth should leak no more than regular...but high mileage engines aren't usually as "tight," unless they've been rebuilt. Mine is original, using dino oil and am satisfied with it so far - 164,xxx miles, and not burning/leaking a bit (perhaps synth would be identical, but...am of the mindset of not messing with what ya know already works just fine). Now, the power steering, on the other hand... ;) ....leaks a few drops now and again, but not enough to concern myself with a big $$$ fix just yet.

hyoctane
01-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Just changed the oil in the 2ZZ... I'll keep you posted on any issues.

Colossus20v
01-29-2007, 05:06 AM
I think Im going to switch on the 20v as well. Might as well try it.

mr.belowaverage
02-01-2007, 01:15 PM
This is great info. Everything I've been told about synthetics is here, double-verified. I'm about to change my 94 over after 350k. I'm hoping to get another 350 out of her! :D