PDA

View Full Version : BMWs have long oil change intervals.

MoralWarfare
01-24-2007, 08:27 PM
*Edited for content (for now anyways)*

T-spoon
01-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Fuck you T-Spoon.

Hrm, that wasn't particularly informative. I wasn't being facetious, I honestly didn't understand what your point was. That's a horribly immature response and I don't think that's the best you can do. So on to something more constructive:

How come BMW has 15k oil change intervals? Doesn't stuff still collect in the oil? I'm intrigued.

2kSnakEater
01-24-2007, 08:50 PM
15k oil change intervals? now Im the first to say that these newer oils will last longer than 3k miles, some higher quality oils like mobil1 and royal purple will last almost 7k even 10k, but 15k miles? thats nuts.

The best way to tell if the oil is any good is to have you oil analized.

ciento44
01-24-2007, 08:57 PM
There are oils that are advertised to work up to 15k with no problems.

And with the newer cars, they seem to run cleaner/more effectively, whatever you want to call it.

I even found a sticker in my engine bay of my GT saying that Toyota recommends oil changes every 5k miles, rather than the 3k that seems to be standard in the US.

German cars, European cars in general seem to have been on the 5-10k boat for longer than anyone. So, 15k doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

2kSnakEater
01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
There are oils that are advertised to work up to 15k with no problems

advertised is totaly different than what actualy happens. I would like to see an oil test.

ciento44
01-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Go ahead and do it. :P

It'll depend on the car, as i'm sure you know.

I wouldn't trust ANY kind of oil to last more than 6k miles in my car.

Newer cars, sure.

Schmleff
01-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Who cares, a bmw is in the shop to have some little fignit fixed at regular intervals. However, it might be nice to save money someplace while owning one.

And Mortal, I really hope your comments were in jest.

alltracman78
01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't really understand why this thread was started as it was....
But to answer a few questions

Auto manufacturers are always trying to get more folks to buy thier cars.
Obviously one way is less cost for the car.
Another nice thing is lower maintenance cost.
So, the trend is to longer intervals for everything. For some things, new products have been developed, like extra long live coolant and better auto trans fluid.

Toyota has been recommending 5k oil changes since at LEAST 1990.
However, the 3SGTE (and the 2JZGTE I believe) are 2.5k, NOT 5k.
This did come back to bite them in the arse, at least to a bit.
SOME late 90s and early 00 engines have an oil sludge problem because Toyota restricted the coolant flow to the head, raising the head temps. This increases efficiency, but causes the oil to sludge up faster.
Obviously this wasn't helped by the longer oil change intervals some folks do......

FYI [to the best of my knowledge],
Toyota is still at 5k
Subaru is 7.5k
Mercedes Benz is 10k, but that is with syth

I change my 'trac every 3k or so, but I run Mobil 1 syth.
The truck also gets ~3k changes, but that gets regular Mobil dino oil.

Rix86
01-25-2007, 01:34 AM
2-3k for me, regardless of what the oil bottle says.
Usually royoal purple or mobil 1.

85gtsblackman
01-25-2007, 02:17 AM
hence why when i worked at toyota we always called the 5s sludge motors

and the 2rz and 3rz, i almost bout a 98 taco but it was soft sludged at 24k miles

it had all the oil changes done at about 6k

dealerships also vary, ours recomended 3k oil changes for all the cars before 99 or after 100,000 miles or 10 years

my 22re gets gtx 20w50 every 3k

MoralWarfare
01-26-2007, 01:38 AM
sorry T-spoon, I thought you were being a dick cause you thought I was acting showoff-ish or whatever. Now I realize it was just misunderstanding and I wasn't adding anything informative to the conversation.

Anyways, BMW uses oil service intervals of 15000 because they have very large oil pans (7 quarts for 6 cylinders, 8 for 6 cylinders (in X5), and 8 cylinders). BMW has used synthetic oil since 99 as factory standard, but even when we used mineral oil the intervals were 10000 miles (for most of the 90s). I think it's just proper heat management, amount of oil used, and superior filtration that allows the oil to last so long. I know oil breaks down no matter what, but BMW is known for its bulletproof engines so they must be doing something right :).

T-spoon
01-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Ah, having more volume of oil in which to suspend stuff can't hurt, that's for sure.

sssssss27
01-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Time is another big factor too. I know there are some guys who drive commercial vehicles with Amsoil oil bypass filters that have gone 200,000 miles without an oil change.

I average about 10,000 miles a year and I imagine changing my oil once a year wouldn't be too good.

grip addict
01-29-2007, 08:20 AM
true, synthetic oil/new products allow you to wait longer on your intervals, but anytime you have a pcv valve then the oil is going to get contaminated. i wonder how long you could wait with a rotary? im at 5k on my rx7 and the oil looks almost brand new :D