PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see this: Toyota recall

MCcelica
01-24-2007, 06:02 AM
http://ezinearticles.com/?Toyota-Truck-Recall:-Tacoma,-4Runner,-Tundra,-and-Sequoia&id=47735

vip09
01-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Yep I saw that already. I got a letter in the mail from Toyota today about the recall for my daytime running lights. They send me one every year... the DRL's aren't even bright.. I don't see why there would be a recall.

TheNefariousOne
01-24-2007, 06:12 AM
This is what happens when car companies grow faster than they can manage - quality decreases. It becomes more and more difficult to keep total quality management up the more you spread out. I'm kinda curious to see how this will affect Toyota's image as uber-reliable (not much I'd bet, but you never know)

That'd be scary as shit if the wheels collapsed under the truck! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

T-spoon
01-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Give me a break.

MCcelica
01-24-2007, 04:47 PM
That'd be scary as shit if the wheels collapsed under the truck! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

At very least it'd be a good time to have a camera phone. "Hey boss, I'm gonna be late, my wheels folded under my truck and I cant go anywhere"

"I don't believe you Johnson. You get here now"

"I'm tellin ya boss, the wheels are folded right under the truck!"

2kSnakEater
01-24-2007, 05:48 PM
awesome

Idiot Stick
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Give me a break.

http://wolf.netwerk-x.com/archives/kitkats.JPG

Sorry, had to.

2kSnakEater
01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
now that I think of it, looks like the screw up fairy visited Toyota again.

T-spoon
01-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Well let me put it this way. When you are known for shitty build quality, something like this is no big deal (not naming any companys), doesn't change things one way or another. When you are known for very high quality, people notice because it's unusual. Nothing can be perfect, so a certain number of mistakes are inevitable, this is just one of them. *shrug*

Rix86
01-25-2007, 01:40 AM
the number of COMPLAINTS and PROBLEMS caused by the ball joints in so miniscule, it's unreal.
toyota isn't having any of it though.
if there are 20 complaints with the exact same symptom, there is a problem as far as toyota is concerned.

and as a side note: many parts that toyota buys, they buy from america now.
aisin warner is a big supplier.
as in, borg warner, a U.S. company.
the more stuff that gets bought, built, and designed in the U.S., the more screw ups we have.
Imagine that.

85gtsblackman
01-25-2007, 02:10 AM
yeah no one realized it cept the toyota techs

look at the 3rd gen camry, then the 4th gen camry

the interior falls apart in the 4th gen after 5 years or 100k, plus a bunch of lil things break

the 3rd gen camry 92-96 , only has motor mount and door handel issues after 8 years or 150k....and my 93 le is still being daily driven at over 300k

the 7th gen celica is the most problamictic and unreliable celica ever built

hence why i wont own one, the fastest ever relesed in the states yes, but, id rather have the car thats slower but last longer thats me, yeah i know 3rd gens are slow but when u build an engine that goes over 1,000,000 miles u have done something right

but thats ok, im getting a 5vz, possibly before the end of the year

look at the 87-92 rolla, slow, box shaped, goes for over 300k if u have a manual, they had problems with the slushbox after 150k

93-98ish rolla the interior falls apart after a few years

newer mr2 (fake mr2) those things suck every way possible, engine and trans problems out the ass, and the manumatic trans always skrew up

there more than 1 reason i dont work at toyota anymore :ugh:

1990CelicaGT-S
01-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Unfortunatly theres always going to be problems with new cars that cause recalls. The front wheels collapsing though, shit. That does deserve a day off work NothingSpecialYet.

MCcelica
01-25-2007, 07:53 AM
the interior falls apart in the 4th gen after 5 years or 100k, plus a bunch of lil things break

That reminds me of my moms jeep. :lolhittin

Rix86
01-25-2007, 08:16 AM
yeah no one realized it cept the toyota techs

look at the 3rd gen camry, then the 4th gen camry

the 3rd gen camry 92-96 , only has motor mount and door handel issues after 8 years or 150k....and my 93 le is still being daily driven at over 300k

the 7th gen celica is the most problamictic and unreliable celica ever built

hence why i wont own one, the fastest ever relesed in the states yes, but, id rather have the car thats slower but last longer thats me, yeah i know 3rd gens are slow but when u build an engine that goes over 1,000,000 miles u have done something right

but thats ok, im getting a 5vz, possibly before the end of the year

look at the 87-92 rolla, slow, box shaped, goes for over 300k if u have a manual, they had problems with the slushbox after 150k

93-98ish rolla the interior falls apart after a few years

newer mr2 (fake mr2) those things suck every way possible, engine and trans problems out the ass, and the manumatic trans always skrew up

there more than 1 reason i dont work at toyota anymore :ugh:
I don't know where you're getting your info, but after 10 years of working on toyotas, most of this is B.S. besides the 7th gen celica part.
But this is for certain: the nummi/american made cars have more issues than the japan built cars.

TheNefariousOne
01-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't know where you're getting your info, but after 10 years of working on toyotas, most of this is B.S. besides the 7th gen celica part.
But this is for certain: the nummi/american made cars have more issues than the japan built cars.

I still say it has less to do with the fact that it was built in America and more with the fact that Toyota has factories all over the world now. More factories = more to manage = harder to ensure quality.

CandianCelicaGT
01-25-2007, 05:57 PM
pre 1996 anything was decent, toyota was exceptional.

Now, like everything else, toyotas are becoming disposable. It's a shame really, I'll have to keep finding older toyotas and making them new again.

T-spoon
01-25-2007, 06:54 PM
LOL, MR2 Spyders are neither "fake" MR2s nor are they shitty. The only problem ours has had is being a weeee bit slow (although faster than most Celicas ...) and some trouble with the convertable top not being taken care of too well (no garage to put it in). Mechanical problems? No... 30mpg out of the best handling car I've driven? Yes. :hehe:

Joe, I think you're just jaded ;)

vip09
01-25-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't see the problem with the 7th gen either. I've never had a problem with my car that I did not directly cause. It's been a great car.

edit: I'm pretty sure all celicas were manufactured in Japan.

Rix86
01-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I still say it has less to do with the fact that it was built in America and more with the fact that Toyota has factories all over the world now. More factories = more to manage = harder to ensure quality.
I beg to differ.
I've seen the decline of the quality first hand.
of course compare it to most of the other makes, and it's still gold.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-26-2007, 03:58 AM
I'd still stick with Toyotas.

TheNefariousOne
01-26-2007, 05:26 AM
I beg to differ.
I've seen the decline of the quality first hand.
of course compare it to most of the other makes, and it's still gold.

I'm not saying that the quality did not decline. What I was trying to get at was that I disagree with the notion that it can be attributed merely to the fact that the cars are now built in the U.S. Rather, I was saying that it was due to the company growing too fast and management being unable to ensure total quality management.

Rix86
01-26-2007, 06:00 AM
mmmm.... nah. :)
I've seen ssooooooo many american built cars in the last couple years with nuts and bolts left loose from the factory, american sourced parts breaking, etc.
The early years of the u.s. partnerships showed their weakness tight ogg the get go.
case and point: delco alternators and batteries in the u.s. built ae92's.
the japan built cars just generally have fewer problems.

Now I DID say GENERALLY.

alltracman78
01-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I agree with Rick here...

Add the AC Delco ECUs in some of the Matrix going bad....

The cars built in Japan seem to have less problems that the US built ones over all. Alot of the techs at my shop that have been working for Toyota for over 20 years feel the same way.

Americans CAN build good quality parts. We can be excellent machinists.
But for some reason when it comes to cars, we don't....
I don't really know why.