PDA

View Full Version : Best oil filter

zmile06
01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Whats the best oil filter for a 93 toyota celica ST, and please tell me where you purchase that particular brand at.

Also what spark plug wires do you use? And also what spark plugs:)

Thanks.

T-spoon
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Whats the best oil filter for a 93 toyota celica ST, and please tell me where you purchase that particular brand at.

Also what spark plug wires do you use? And also what spark plugs:)

Thanks.

Toyota, Toyota, and Toyota. (not just saying that because I sell the parts, it's all I've used on mine). You won't find higher quality elsewhere, and there are no performance issues involved for that vehicle.

zmile06
01-23-2007, 05:02 PM
You didnt list the place to buy it :: points to post :: And im nto worried about performence really its about quality oil filters. THAT FILTER:)

T-spoon
01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
You didnt list the place to buy it :: points to post :: And im nto worried about performence really its about quality oil filters. THAT FILTER:)

Heh, ok, buy them from me then. (champion toyota)

Gary
01-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Toyota filter, Toyota wire or NGK wires, and NGK plugs.
I got filter from Toyota dealer.

hobbie2k
01-23-2007, 05:26 PM
You can't go wrong with a Toyota one. You can get it from a Toyota dealer. Probably 5-10 dollars. I've heard good things about K&N ones... I'm sure any auto parts place that carries K&N stuff would have one.

T-spoon
01-23-2007, 05:27 PM
You can't go wrong with a Toyota one. You can get it from a Toyota dealer. Probably 5-10 dollars. I've heard good things about K&N ones... I'm sure any auto parts place that carries K&N stuff would have one.

$3.29 a filter for a case, can't beat that with a stick! ;)

NDMstang65
01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
We've cut all of them apart when i was in a automotive program in high school years ago...

Rule of thumb, stay away from Fram or the likes there of.

Valvoline filters are ok, The Toyota one we cut apart was impressive, as is the NAPA Gold series of filters...

Amsoil or Mobil also makes good filters as well. I personally use either Amsoil filters or NAPA Gold series due to there's not a Toyota dealership within a hour drive of here.

vip09
01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
$3.29 a filter for a case, can't beat that with a stick! ;)

Yup, thats what I paid at my dealership. :)

supra97
01-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Anybody know about Quaker State filters/oil? That's what I've been using.

Luis C
01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Toyota OEM. Accept no other

zmile06
01-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Stupid question but can i order filters from you online some how? Can you link me to a page with oil filters listed maybe?

Right now i use K&N because i have heard good reviews, but i know toyota filters are better...

T-spoon
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Stupid question but can i order filters from you online some how? Can you link me to a page with oil filters listed maybe?

Right now i use K&N because i have heard good reviews, but i know toyota filters are better...

Check out toyotaworld.com, can also call the 800 number listed there. I'll leave it at that to keep business in a general thread to a minimum :)

TheNefariousOne
01-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Does it really make that much of a difference what oil filter you use? Especially on daily drivers...

I usually just buy the cheapest one at Autozone and go on my way. I can understand going OEM with some stuff but oil filters...?

T-spoon
01-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Does it really make that much of a difference what oil filter you use? Especially on daily drivers...

I usually just buy the cheapest one at Autozone and go on my way. I can understand going OEM with some stuff but oil filters...?

Well look at it this way, one of the number 1 factors in how long an engine is going to last you is how you handle lubrication for it. Regular oil changes are the most important factor. Next would be making sure you have appropriate weight oil for your conditions and that the filter has the capacity and filtration capabilities to be worry free between changes. Probably many other filters would do that passably, but personally I don't pinch pennies on the stuff that is the day in and day out life of the car. If Toyota filters were like, $20 a piece (only the silly TRD Japan ones are that bad, but I'd consider a more expensive filter for harder conditions like regular racing), then sure, I'd say find a cheaper alternative, but for $5.41 FULL RETAIL (and usually not hard to find cheaper than that), the price difference between that and the Autozone special seems kinda silly to me. Of course if you live far away from a dealer and don't have good access to OEM, you have to do what you have to do, but if it's as easy to get OEM, I do. Just my take on it. Another penny-pinching practise I've noticed is not changing the drain plug gasket. Goodness, it's less than a buck, change it when you change your oil! We've had people strip oil pan threads because they didn't want to dish out for $.75 gasket/washer.

zmile06
01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
The maintence of a car is what determines the life of the car bottom line here...

VikingJZ
01-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I get ones from CarQuest and have used them in every oil change I have done.

No problems.

Honestly, it's an oil filter.

T-spoon
01-24-2007, 12:08 AM
I get ones from CarQuest and have used them in every oil change I have done.

No problems.

Honestly, it's an oil filter.

True, then again I've seen people not change their oil for 15000 and see no problems that THEY know of. Not exactly the most logical argument there ;)

Yeah, a filter is a filter, but how you take care of your car does matter, and what parts you use is part of that. I did say proper service is by far the most important, but parts do matter.

Rix86
01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
True, then again I've seen people not change their oil for 15000 and see no problems that THEY know of. Not exactly the most logical argument there ;)

Yeah, a filter is a filter, but how you take care of your car does matter, and what parts you use is part of that. I did say proper service is by far the most important, but parts do matter.
:mswerd:

MoralWarfare
01-24-2007, 02:40 AM
overboost.com did a review of filters based on number of pleats, shell construction, anti-drain, etc., and found FRAM as the worst, and Honda the best (it's a honda-based site), with Purolator PureONE close second.

T-Spoon, BMWs have oil service intervals of around 15500 miles, and their engines last forever. The best interval is whatever the manufacturer suggests.

vip09
01-24-2007, 06:11 AM
I was looking at oil filters one time at the auto parts store.. I opened up a FRAM and there were metal shavings inside the filter from where the hole was tapped to screw onto the engine block. :ugh:

andy
01-24-2007, 06:35 AM
ewwww. yota all the way.

T-spoon
01-24-2007, 07:09 AM
overboost.com did a review of filters based on number of pleats, shell construction, anti-drain, etc., and found FRAM as the worst, and Honda the best (it's a honda-based site), with Purolator PureONE close second.

T-Spoon, BMWs have oil service intervals of around 15500 miles, and their engines last forever. The best interval is whatever the manufacturer suggests.

I'm not seeing your point. This thread is about Toyotas. I said proper service is a must and that proper parts are secondarily important. What are you talking about? If you want to say BMWs have long oil change intervals, make a thread and say it, that has nothing to do with anything I said.

MrWOT
01-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Mobil 1, Purolator, WIX.

All 3 use a purolator core. :)

zmile06
01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm still mad i have to go to a toyota dealership to get a oil filter.. With my luck they wont have it in stock and then they will try to sell me a car.

Gary
01-24-2007, 08:06 PM
With my luck they wont have it in stock
That won't happen. :lolhittin

MoralWarfare
01-24-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm not seeing your point. This thread is about Toyotas. I said proper service is a must and that proper parts are secondarily important. What are you talking about? If you want to say BMWs have long oil change intervals, make a thread and say it, that has nothing to do with anything I said.
ok.

DarkSideCelica
01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
how many filters are there in a case? i might just get the toyota ones since it's abt the same price as the crappy FRAM ones i'm using

T-spoon
01-26-2007, 04:33 AM
how many filters are there in a case? i might just get the toyota ones since it's abt the same price as the crappy FRAM ones i'm using

85gtsblackman
01-26-2007, 04:59 AM
well ive been using the napa filters, which are made by wix, but every now and then i get a few yota filters
although last 2 times i had an a/c delco filter for the 1st and 2nd was a purolator, i didnt want to go over 3k, yota and napa were closed

and the filter thats on the 22re is actally for an old land cruiser and the damn thing too exactly 1 extra quart of oil :eek:

mar_phi6
12-30-2008, 01:08 PM
are purolator oil filter good ive been using them every since i got the car

david in germany
12-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I order oem filters from Rockauto.com and run Royal Purple in my Celica ST. My Celica with 170+K miles idles smoother than my MINI with under 2000 miles. May be the differences in the engines too. ;)

Ryan
12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
The Purolator PureOne filters are pretty good. I have used them a few times, and the inside construction is good quality.

Toyota oem filters are my filter of choice, but if I cant make it up to the dealership, Ill get either a pureone or k&n.. I dont like the high price of k&n's though.

85gtsblackman
12-31-2008, 11:37 PM
omg wow revival

KoreanJoey
12-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Toyota.

/end

Luni
12-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Not just any toyota tho.

You want the Crystal Matrix one. The one with yzz in the part number is garbage.

For a 3SGTE you want 90915-10004

Thats the "denso filter made in japan" the other one is made in thailand.

CarolinaJr.
01-01-2009, 04:26 AM
So fram is bad? That is what i am using now. From what it looks like, i need to go with toyota next time?

Ryan
01-01-2009, 04:59 AM
When you change it again, take your fram filter and cut it open. You will cry when you see what it is made of.

CarolinaJr.
01-01-2009, 06:36 AM
I'm not sure if i want to see the inside or what it is made out of now lol.

Cavanagh
01-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I still dont understand how people earlier in the thread are going against a good product that costs like a buck or two more. AND THEN ask about other filters, c'mon make the extra trip to get a legit OEM MADE FOR YOUR CAR filter. If Toyota is too far away, order it online. It really is not difficult guys....
And this is the most pointless post in the thread...
"I'm still mad i have to go to a toyota dealership to get a oil filter.. With my luck they wont have it in stock and then they will try to sell me a car."

VikingJZ
01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
I only order OEM

I first changed the SC oil not long after I bought it, and put in a K&N. But for $13, its not worth it.

I go to Toyota and get one for a 93 NA Supra and its like $5 with a new drain plug gasket/washer.

Fram is shit in general. Its hard to screw up an OEM-style air filter because of what it is--an air filter. Oil filters, no Fram. Its paper on the inside of some of them

The Volvo has a Purolator PureONE right now just because AutoZone had a deal on Mobile Juan synthetic and a PureOne filter. A case of Volvo filters (12 in the case) is $36 and some change.

I am at the point where if the broken part fails and it affects the safe and working operation of my Lexus, I order OEM. If Toyota made it and it came on the car, it is replaced with the same part. This includes the oil filter, because changing your oil is your best insurance for longevity. And right now, the SC is in tip top operating shape, save for maladjusted throttle and cruise cables and disordered vac hoses (it just idles higher)

Celica_Man
01-04-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm currently using the mobil 1 filter after driving for 4k+ miles then changing my oil/filter it still looked brand new really clean, of course it'll run you $12 just for the filter I might try the oem toyota filter on my next oil change and see if its any better $3 for a oem filter can't beat that, heck I still have the original mobil 1 filter I used sitting in my garage really impressed by the job it did thats what a $12 filter can do for you. :bigthumbu