PDA

View Full Version : 50 hp gain on a 1994 celica gt

JasonX
01-23-2007, 06:10 AM
I would really like to gain 50 hp to have a little fun with until I get the 3sgte. I don't want to get rid of my original just yet. stock is 135, 185 sounds pretty good.....for now. I'm going to make my own cold air intake w/ the ideas I got here. not sure how many hp's i would gain from that. but, what else to get it 50 more? don't want no turbo or supercharging. the 3sgte will have that. exhaust? chip? fuel pump? ignition? distributor? Let me know what you guys think and please give me some ideas. Thanks

ciento44
01-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Slap on a bottle.

Getting 50hp any other way, barring forced induction will more than likely cost more than swapping with a 3sgte, with lesser results.

JasonX
01-23-2007, 06:23 AM
thanks. i know so far sounds like just gotta wait for the 3sgte.

ciento44
01-23-2007, 06:36 AM
thanks. i know so far sounds like just gotta wait for the 3sgte.

Bottles are cheap! Have at it, have some fun, surprise some ricers and dumbestics!! :)

I plan on playing with one on mine before i replace it. :P

JasonX
01-23-2007, 06:48 AM
do bottles mess up the engine you think? easy to install?

JasonX
01-23-2007, 06:48 AM
if so maybe i should do it closer to when i'm about to replace.

burnyd
01-23-2007, 06:50 AM
blah

ciento44
01-23-2007, 06:52 AM
do bottles mess up the engine you think? easy to install?

Nah, just make sure you have a healthy engine, check your gaskets. Easy to install, coupla hours, and a 50 shot should be perfectly fine to start with, as well as entertaining.

JasonX
01-23-2007, 07:00 AM
when r u tossing your bottle in?
and about the air filter thing that added the 25 whp. is it the electric supercharger?

ciento44
01-23-2007, 07:02 AM
and about the air filter thing that added the 25 whp. is it the electric supercharger?

He's pulling your leg, dude. :)

Electric supercharger is complete and utter poppycock. :P

Bottle will go in the day that my new engine is delivered.... may not be until april.

burnyd
01-23-2007, 07:11 AM

blah

JasonX
01-24-2007, 05:53 AM
can you explain more what you mean by 2 more cyl. and 2jz?
thanks

toyotaguy90
01-24-2007, 06:05 AM
hes messin with you man, he is talking about the 2jz 6 cylinder supra motor

JasonX
01-24-2007, 06:29 AM
thanks

Colossus20v
01-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Burnyd shutup dude.

Jason, it isnt very practical to get 50hp more out of the 5sfe without doing anything crazy to it. If you got something to tune it, did Intake/Exhaust/Header to it you would see a little gain and have some fun, but 50hp just isnt very practical without doing some major work to it.

Also, do you have to worry about Cali emissions?

VikingJZ
01-24-2007, 06:36 AM
I can get you 50-45 horsepower.

In the end that equates to a muffler and a cheap filter.

Good job!

I have a bottle in my car. It happens to be filled with the highest quality H2mothafuckinO

JasonX
01-24-2007, 06:43 AM
I figured it wouldn't be so easy to get 50 hp. I'll probably do the intake deal over the weekend. I'll have to make my own cai, since it's not available for 94 celica. then i was thinking about taking my car to a muffler job to change everything including headers, maybe leave the cat in there. not even sure what kind of exhaust to get. all I know is I don't want it too loud. guess, i got bunch more homework to do, or i just gotta trust the muffler guy. and to answer your question, yes i would have to worry about cali emissions since i live here. Thanks for the info

burnyd
01-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Intake , header , exhaust will give you around a total of 7-9hp on your car... Its not a real feasible motor to go ahead and modifiy stock going with a na setup.. it has to do with the cam setup.. its a slave cam.. being that one cam drives the other... its a economy motor its really not made to put out decent horsepower.. but spray seems to be the best option

JasonX
01-24-2007, 07:01 AM
maybe I should just say forget it and save up for the 3sgte. and then do the remaining upgrade. what do you think?

burnyd
01-24-2007, 07:20 AM
maybe I should just say forget it and save up for the 3sgte. and then do the remaining upgrade. what do you think?

best thing to do is buy a st185(alltrac/gt4) clip.. its the awd turbo car from 90-93... buy that clip and go find a solara v6 trans... together youll have around under 3k to get it to your door step.. and then swap it.

JasonX
01-24-2007, 07:25 AM
hey thanks. I'll keep that in my notes. Like I said it'll be a little while before i do any of these since i don't wanna get rid of my engine just yet. but, i'll keep you guys posted when i finally do it. 3k sure is cheaper than a new car, but we'll put my ride in a great shape.

toyotaguy90
01-25-2007, 05:26 AM
Sorry to go off subject but does anyone have any more info about putting a nitrous kit on our cars.

burnyd
01-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Sorry to go off subject but does anyone have any more info about putting a nitrous kit on our cars.

just do a 100 shot.. nobody from this board that I know of has one... but supposively they go pretty fast compared to stock...

Colossus20v
02-01-2007, 05:25 AM
just do a 100 shot.. nobody from this board that I know of has one... but supposively they go pretty fast compared to stock...
someone had Nitrouse on their car on that old message board and had a lot of fun with it.

Id like to blow up my current engine with Nitrous once I build the 7age.

Disco Dan
02-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Ya know, I've been thinking about this for a little while. The bottom end of the 5S is really quite sturdy. It seems a shame that the top end leaves so little room for improvement, what with the interlocked cam gears and all.

JasonX
02-03-2007, 08:32 AM
I think I kinda made up my mind. I talked w/ a shop and seems logical. instead of the 5 sfe which is a single cam. i think i'm gonna replace it w/ the dual cam 4 cyclinder. turbo just seems like has too much upkeep. a dual cam that has room for improvement makes better sense. i think i could work out around 200 hp. which plenty for a light car like the celica.

91 celica st
02-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I think I kinda made up my mind. I talked w/ a shop and seems logical. instead of the 5 sfe which is a single cam. i think i'm gonna replace it w/ the dual cam 4 cyclinder. turbo just seems like has too much upkeep. a dual cam that has room for improvement makes better sense. i think i could work out around 200 hp. which plenty for a light car like the celica.

lol

5sfe IS dual cam. its run by 1 cam gear opn the intake cam and the exhuast cam is on a slave gear setup. whoever told u it isnt is wrong. and if your mechanic told you that i would advise immediatly getting a new one as this one dosent know what the fuck hes talking about

theres (bascially) no n/a 4cyl you could put in there and get 200 whp, still be very reliable, and be under a $4-5K budget. the only ones that will even make 200 whp witought alot of $$$ is the beams 3sge and FA 4age.

JasonX
02-03-2007, 09:50 AM
thanks for looking out. it sucks though, it seems like the only choice is the turbo engines. and i really don't wanna go turbo. are we stuck to celica engines. or can we use something else?

91 celica st
02-03-2007, 07:57 PM
theres nothing really bad about them. sure they dont flow the greatest stock and are MEANT to be econemy engines but so are most of the engines people mod anyway

sadly. your best bet is to just boost it or swap it. trying to go n/a wouldnt be cost effective

ciento44
02-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I vote 1mzfe.

There's your reliability.

There's your 200whp.

There's your large powerband.

There's your $4k budget.

There's your naturally aspirated.

Problem solved. :)

VikingJZ
02-04-2007, 03:36 AM
JasonX sounds like he wants to keep it a relatively easy swap--if he swaps at all.

The 3SGTE bolts right into your current engine bay without modification. You will, however, have to do some wiring work. If you do not feel like messing with wiring, as it can be quite difficult, send your wiring harness to Dr. Tweak (www.phoenixtuning.com). He'll do your wiring work for you. All that you'll have to do then is to mount the engine and put the wires where they need to go.

The 1MZFE will require cutting and welding and lots of exta work, but it can be done.

92CelicaST
02-04-2007, 02:34 PM
http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/cai1.htm
for your DIY CAI just something i found one day.

=cJ=
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
In this neck of the woods the only really easy way I can see 200 HP N/A would be the BEAMS route.

JasonX
02-05-2007, 06:53 AM
theres nothing really bad about them. sure they dont flow the greatest stock and are MEANT to be econemy engines but so are most of the engines people mod anyway

sadly. your best bet is to just boost it or swap it. trying to go n/a wouldnt be cost effective
when you said wouldn't be cost effective, do you mean trying to modify mine, any other N/A engine? maybe i should study the 3sgte a little more. just sounds like needs too much upkeep. i'll start investigating the beams for now. what engine do you have under your hood?

91 celica st
02-05-2007, 08:08 AM
yours. as in your going to spend alot more mmoeny to be not as fast n/a as a 3sgte swap or turbo 5sfe

i have a 4afe. occassionally it sees boost if im not getting pulled over

Blackcloud
02-06-2007, 02:33 AM
I dont think you will get 50 with out either doing major engine work, or going on the bottle.

Hell i barley got 50hp in my truck by adding a chip, intake, exhaust, and gutting the cats

Hookecho
02-06-2007, 02:37 AM
^^who let you out of off topic? :)

Murgatroy
02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
If you go the bottle route I do not suggest anything other than a 35 shot on an otherwise stock engine. Experience talking here. ;)

The 3SGE will get you around 200 horses without boost.

The 5SFE is a dual overhead cam engine, however, one cam is driven as a slave off of the other cam.

A cold air/short ram intake, new filter, header and exhaust will net you less than 10 horses. A chip is not worth the effort or cost. A distributor will do nothing for you. If you adjust your timing, you will see more horses (read ~3) but you will prohibit the use of laughing gas.

The 3SGTE is your fastest and cheapest bet to reliable 200+ horsepower. It is a heavily documented swap with many many folks on this site having completed it.

While it is true that a turbo engine does require more upkeep than a non-forced induction car, it will require less care than a four cylinder engine that you modify to get 50 more horses out of.

The benefit of the bottle though is one that I am surprised no one was mentioned yet.

The power is there when you want it, instantly with the push of a button, and not there when you don't need it. The intial cost is not cheap, even when compared to the cost of a swap. A decent 'kit' will set you back about $500, then you have to buy other components which make it operate safely without damaging your car, a purge kit, microswitch, blow down tube etc... But the upside is that it will transfer over to your 3SGTE when/if you swap. So your $1000 investment will still be usable.

There are many disclaimers to using the squeeze that you will have to be versed on if you are interested, and I can walk you through most of them. I used to run a 250 plate when I still raced. The motors are different, but the concept is the same.

burnyd
02-06-2007, 04:42 PM
I dont think you will get 50 with out either doing major engine work, or going on the bottle.

Hell i barley got 50hp in my truck by adding a chip, intake, exhaust, and gutting the cats

your telling me you cannot get 50hp off of a ls motor doing all that... then your doing something wrong...

but anyways..

yes 5sfe is dohc but driven by a slave cam. One cam is slightly agnled.. it basicly does not move air around / flow very well at all.

if all your looking for is 200whp. This is easily achieved by a 3sgte swap. You could even keep the top mount intercooler on the car add a 3" exhaust a 15 dollar boost controller @ 13-14psi youll be good for around 200whp+

JasonX
02-07-2007, 07:12 AM
awesome feedback. thanks a bunch. pretty much everything i needed to know.found a shop to do the swap. gotta find out how much they want to do it. now, i'm back towards 3sgte. starting to make more sense. and most of you guys voting for the 3sgte. i was considering the beams, but i don't think parts would be as available. is twin cam same as dohc? my mechanic keeps on saying it's not twin. and you guys say 5sfe is dual but w/ slave. got a little confused.

Murgatroy
02-07-2007, 07:28 AM
DOHC mean Dual OverHead Cam.

THe 5SFE is in fact a DOHC engine.

A twincam would mean it has two cams run off of the timing belt. Since the 5SFE only has one cam run off the timing belt, it would not be a twin cam.

Semantics.

Your mechanic may just be explaining it differently than we are.

JasonX
02-08-2007, 06:52 AM
One of the mechanics says i should drop in a twin cam to get more hp. but, i'm getting my head finally stuck on the 3sgte. gotta take my car to the shop again. valve cover gasket is jacked up. got me a free engine detailing out of it, lol. dang, third time to the some in two weeks. keeping my engine in good shape like this, i will never get a chance to swap, lol. thanks guys...

Rix86
02-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Bring me the car and a realistic budget.
I'll get you 50 horses more, NA. no bottle.

JasonX
02-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Bring me the car and a realistic budget.
I'll get you 50 horses more, NA. no bottle.
I would bring you the car, but you're in WA, i'm in so-cal. have anything else in mind?

Rix86
02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
custom everything count?
LOL.

ciento44
02-08-2007, 05:30 PM
3sge head, i/h/e, full EMS, and cams might net you +50..... but it'll probably cost as much as a 3sgte swap. :P

JasonX
02-09-2007, 01:26 AM
i will go w/ the 3sgte. i don't think anyone will say i'm going the wrong way on that. lol.