PDA

View Full Version : new to ctech :)

.aaron.
01-22-2007, 11:12 PM
hey im new my names Aaron. im from PEI canada and am trying to find out a few things before i decide on a celica. just wondering if there is a sticky that might answer some of my stupid questions before i start asking and make myelf look like an asshat haha i havnt found one yet

mtp_69_i
01-22-2007, 11:36 PM
look in the generational forums, they're a subsection of the General Discussion.

Welcome to Celicatech matey.

ciento44
01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I <3 PEI.

Welcome, and enjoy your stay. :)

.aaron.
01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
thanks for the welcome

Colossus20v
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Feel free to ask any questions here. Thats what type of place we are. We dont care, we just enjoy helping people out. So ask away.

Welcome.

2kSnakEater
01-23-2007, 12:01 AM
get a 90-93 GTS or 2000-2004 GTS W/ Apperance package and 6spd or 90-93 All-Trac or 86-89 All-Trac or 90-94 MR2-T

/thread

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 12:54 AM
haha i do like the mr2's but my fav celica is the 6th gens. im having a bit of trouble finding info on them i know i want a st205 i think the jap version (most powerful) alltrac/gt4 from what i could gather they discontinued the alltracs at the end of gen 5 in north america (correct me if im wrong, i hope i am haha) so any 6th gen gt4 in north america would have had to be imported and i think i read somewhere that the frame of an awd is completely different than a fwd for a 6th gen
any info would be cool

hobbie2k
01-23-2007, 03:24 AM
I'm pretty sure all your info is correct. The GT4s have a completely different floorpan and lots of other exclusive parts, so converting a FWD Celica is almost impossible (It could be done, but it'll be expensive, long, and hard). I don't know what Canadian import rules are like, but I know in the US it would be a very long and difficult process to get a JDM ST205 street registered.

Your best bets would probably be to go with a 5th gen GT4, or get a 6th gen and do the 3sgte swap. You won't have AWD, but you'll be alot lighter than GT4s. I wonder, would it be a straight-forward job to swap the 6th gen front end onto the 5th gen chassis? Sort of like how you can swap the front fascias of the Nissan 240SXs/Silvias without much trouble.

mtp_69_i
01-23-2007, 03:36 AM
I wonder, would it be a straight-forward job to swap the 6th gen front end onto the 5th gen chassis? Sort of like how you can swap the front fascias of the Nissan 240SXs/Silvias without much trouble.

I've wondered this ever since I saw my first Sil80 (silvia front + 180SX rear)

Though, I like the 6th gen rear better so realistically, I don't reckon I'd go for this...

good wondering though :bigthumbu

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 03:36 AM
haha thanks i was kinda hoping for AWD and i didnt really want to get into chopping cars in half to do it. i definately want a 3sgte weither it comes in the car or i have to do it myself. if i was to put an [st205 3sgte] in a FWD 6th gen would i have to get the VCU welded so it wouldnt have any power to the rear output shaft or would it mount to the existing FWD tranny AND would the tranny be strong enough for the engines stock hp?
[i dont know if im using the term st205 right, is it the engine version code for a 3sgte or the code for the style of celica or the celica with that engine?] thanks in advance :)

Gary
01-23-2007, 03:37 AM
Canadian import rule --> 15 years.
So, right now many people have started to import 90-91 ST185 and ST185RC into Canada.
You will have to wait another 2-3 more years for the ST205.

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 03:42 AM
Canadian import rule --> 15 years.
So, right now many people have started to import 90-91 ST185 and ST185RC into Canada.
You will have to wait another 2-3 more years for the ST205.
that rule only applies for registering the car right? can you still import it and use it for track and offroad purpose or work on it until it can be regiistered?

1990CelicaGT-S
01-23-2007, 03:54 AM
Welcome to the forum Aaron. You are using the term ST205 right for the 3SGTE. It's nice to see more people from this side of Canada on this board.

I thought the import time was 14 years? Do Jarco or other importers ship entire cars?

Good luck to you and your search.

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 03:59 AM
thanks again for the welcomes :) are any of you east coasters on low motion or msc ?

Sean
01-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Welcome!

Cavanagh
01-23-2007, 05:01 AM
yea welcome, you sure know what your talking about for being a new member.... when i first came on here, i had no idea bout anything toyo/celica oriented.

Gary
01-23-2007, 05:11 AM
that rule only applies for registering the car right? can you still import it and use it for track and offroad purpose or work on it until it can be regiistered?
Not sure about Canada, but in the US, you can import it for race/show.
To register it and drive it on public road, it must be 25 years or older.

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 05:11 AM
thanks haha i felt kinda dumb for asking what the wierd hole was on the gt4 hood because it was something so simple i searched 3 different forums trying to find out but it was getting to me so i swallowed my pride and asked haha
i have a tercel and im hoping to drop a 4efte in it soon if i can afford it. it still wont be that fast but it will be alot more fun. plus i want to f around in a little beater because i dont want to learn a turbo lesson the hard way on a car i put everything into. so till i fugure out the basics of turbos ill be razzin around in that haha

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Not sure about Canada, but in the US, you can import it for race/show.
To register it and drive it on public road, it must be 25 years or older.
25!!!! thats brutal!!!
thats reason enough for me to stay in canada haha

Cavanagh
01-23-2007, 05:27 AM
25!!!! thats brutal!!!
thats reason enough for me to stay in canada haha
And makes me consider moving there. :(

:)

Idiot Stick
01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey Aaron, I'm from Moncton. Yes, I am on both Lowmo and MSC ;)

If you are ever interested in picking up a 5th gen celica, and end up having to go and import one or whatever, you can get the feel for it in mine if you're ever around. They are nice little cars with enough power to keep up in traffic (Not on a track, though..unless you're sportin a 3sgte...which im not :()

Also, a local person you could contact is Daniel Gallant, he's the Islands most reputable Celica guy...mind you he doesnt own anymore (Accident destroyed his good one :/ ) I think he still even has 2 3sgte's for sale, a 2nd gen one (Out of an St185) and a 3rd gen (Out of an St205), though i think the 3rd gen needs something, but cant recall what.

Wow, talkin about rambling on. Welcome to the site man, if you decide to get one this is definately the place you want to be.

hobbie2k
01-23-2007, 01:06 PM
haha thanks i was kinda hoping for AWD and i didnt really want to get into chopping cars in half to do it. i definately want a 3sgte weither it comes in the car or i have to do it myself. if i was to put an [st205 3sgte] in a FWD 6th gen would i have to get the VCU welded so it wouldnt have any power to the rear output shaft or would it mount to the existing FWD tranny AND would the tranny be strong enough for the engines stock hp?
[i dont know if im using the term st205 right, is it the engine version code for a 3sgte or the code for the style of celica or the celica with that engine?] thanks in advance :)

I think most of the people with swaps on this board are using the stock 5sfe trannys since they bolt right up (I think) and seem to handle stock 3sgte power levels fine. But you might want to talk to someone who's actually done the swap for specifics.

The term "st205" does refer primarily to the chassis, but since there are slight differences between the st165, st185, and st205 3sgte's, using the chassis code to identify the specific engine is perfectly acceptable. :D Especially since we all know what engine came in what chassis.

And you do seem to know an awful lot about what you're talking about for a new member. I don't think you need to worry about asking "noob" questions. Also, I don't know if you ever got an answer to what the little hole in the hood is for, it's to cool the timing belt since they had a tendency to break due to the heat.

BTW - My name's Aaron, too, and I'm jealous that you guys get to import cars at 15 years. I want my S13 Silvia K's back... :(

Hiko
01-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the boards.

Just food for thought, IIRC, the 6th gen is much, MUCH easier to convert to awd. The awd converted 6th gen in the U.S. has migrated its way here to colorado. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure there are some other colorado (or florida, where it originated) members that could be more useful.

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the help and the warm welcomes guys :)

KoreanJoey
01-23-2007, 07:22 PM
The term "st205" does refer primarily to the chassis, but since there are slight differences between the st185, st195, and st205 3sgte's, using the chassis code to identify the specific engine is perfectly acceptable. (

Um... there no 3SGTE in an ST195... ST19X is the Carina chassis.

2kSnakEater
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
wait, what? you can convert a 6gc? I thought it was imposible for all Celicas? and wtf is an ST195?

hobbie2k
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Sorry, brain fart.

I meant to list the st165, st185, and st205...

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 07:55 PM
is a Carina a predecessor to the Curren?

KoreanJoey
01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
No, not really, it's basically a 4dr celica... the ST195 is the Carina E GTi (that's where my 3rd Gen 3SGE came from)

KotahGTS
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
just wanted to say welcome. i'm not very helpful on ctech but i'm a nice person, so they let me stay. lol

.aaron.
01-23-2007, 08:35 PM
thanks for the welcome alicia i dont know if ill be very helpful either, but im nice haha

KoreanJoey
01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
just wanted to say welcome. i'm not very helpful on ctech but i'm a nice person, so they let me stay. lol

Damnit where's my cookies! Anyways... hope you find everything you need here at the site.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-24-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm also on LowMo.

.aaron.
01-24-2007, 04:26 AM
are you the guy from sobeys that was going to get me my 4efte? redsled or something?

.aaron.
01-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Hey Aaron, I'm from Moncton. Yes, I am on both Lowmo and MSC ;)

If you are ever interested in picking up a 5th gen celica, and end up having to go and import one or whatever, you can get the feel for it in mine if you're ever around. They are nice little cars with enough power to keep up in traffic (Not on a track, though..unless you're sportin a 3sgte...which im not :()

Also, a local person you could contact is Daniel Gallant, he's the Islands most reputable Celica guy...mind you he doesnt own anymore (Accident destroyed his good one :/ ) I think he still even has 2 3sgte's for sale, a 2nd gen one (Out of an St185) and a 3rd gen (Out of an St205), though i think the 3rd gen needs something, but cant recall what.

Wow, talkin about rambling on. Welcome to the site man, if you decide to get one this is definately the place you want to be.
hey man thanks for the welcome i totally missed your post ya i know you from lowmo and daniel gallant is 90celicagts (it all makes sense now) thanks for the offer on the test drive i may have to take you up on that. if i remember correctly back when you joined lowmo you were bombin around in a sunturkey. i started looking into celicas around the time you got yours actually, and dans celica was that the one that had the accident right before halloween out in winsloe?
nice to see you on here :)

gacelicagurl88
01-24-2007, 04:41 AM
wow, I am late for this...
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/kittieclownlove18/welcome.jpg

Idiot Stick
01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
hey man thanks for the welcome i totally missed your post ya i know you from lowmo and daniel gallant is 90celicagts (it all makes sense now) thanks for the offer on the test drive i may have to take you up on that. if i remember correctly back when you joined lowmo you were bombin around in a sunturkey. i started looking into celicas around the time you got yours actually, and dans celica was that the one that had the accident right before halloween out in winsloe?
nice to see you on here :)

Haha sunturkey, I remember that. I always called it the shitbird myself. And yeah, Dans accident was just a couple months ago, but i dont know where it happened. His was the red one that went head on with an intrepid.

Dan3312
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
My accident was at the end of November. I am the guy that had the Celica at Sobeys and I got both my engines from Redsled (he's from MSC and LowMo) and he would be who I'd suggest getting an engine for the Tercel from. Actually I had two of the Celica's you might have seen at Sobeys or at the track, I smashed the black one this summer and the red one Nov 27th, 5 years with no accident, then two within 4 months.
If you want any help with actually doing any swap let me know. My advice is to have Dr.Tweak do whatever wiring harness conversion you need.... oh and we could always put a 3S into the Tercel if you wanted to make it fast hehehe, not a bolt in but nothing a little cutting and welding can't take care of.

Dan3312
01-24-2007, 06:44 PM
I <3 PEI.

Welcome, and enjoy your stay. :)
Holy crap have you actually been to PEI, or do you just love our potatoes? lol

And what Gary said is correct, 15 years old before you can import a car. So in 2009 you will be able to get a ST205.

ciento44
01-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Holy crap have you actually been to PEI, or do you just love our potatoes? lol

And what Gary said is correct, 15 years old before you can import a car. So in 2009 you will be able to get a ST205.

I've been to PEI quite a few times. :)

Pink sand, pink roads, and Charlottetown is a cool little town. Some of the best seafood in the world up there, too. :P

And yes, the potatoes is a plus, too. Last time i went, the border patrol gave me a bunch of crap because i had 40 lbs of potatoes and 5 dozen oysters on ice that i was bringing back.

<EDIT>

We can actually get an ST205 now.... it'll take some work, but it's doable, especially with the price they're going for overseas... Like... $6k-$8k USD for a nice one. O.o

But yes... when it gets easier in 2009, put me first on the list. I should have my loans paid off by then, and i'll do my damndest to get one.

.aaron.
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
My accident was at the end of November. I am the guy that had the Celica at Sobeys and I got both my engines from Redsled (he's from MSC and LowMo) and he would be who I'd suggest getting an engine for the Tercel from. Actually I had two of the Celica's you might have seen at Sobeys or at the track, I smashed the black one this summer and the red one Nov 27th, 5 years with no accident, then two within 4 months.
If you want any help with actually doing any swap let me know. My advice is to have Dr.Tweak do whatever wiring harness conversion you need.... oh and we could always put a 3S into the Tercel if you wanted to make it fast hehehe, not a bolt in but nothing a little cutting and welding can't take care of.
hey man that sucks about the accidents. id definately take the help if i end up doing the swap any thing i can learn from id be happy to do by 3S to you mean like a 3sge from one of your celicas or could a 3sgte actually fit in a tercel haha id finally be able to pass on the highway haha

ciento44
01-24-2007, 07:44 PM
hey man that sucks about the accidents. id definately take the help if i end up doing the swap any thing i can learn from id be happy to do by 3S to you mean like a 3sge from one of your celicas or could a 3sgte actually fit in a tercel haha id finally be able to pass on the highway haha

3sgte will fit in a Tercel. It's been done a couple times, and personally i think it would be awesome. Tercels don't look too bad, they handle pretty well, they're light, and the ambush potential would be hilarious. :)

Any S-series engine will fit in that car with some fairly minor work.

I wonder if a 1mzfe would fit in there.... V6 Tercel FTW!!

Dan3312
01-25-2007, 06:18 PM
V6 Tercel, now that would be something to see.
Aaron we never got the 3SGE in the 5th Gen Celica, it's the 5SFE in both my celicas. I did mean one of the two 3S-GTE's that I have.

.aaron.
01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
which verson of 3sgte's do you have? was it only the 4th gen gt-s that used the 3SGE (as far as celicas are concerned?) plus does anyone know the weight difference between a 3E-E and a 3S-GTE and 1MZ-FE i think a 3L might be a little heavy for the terk, i dont want to flip over when i hit the breaks haha and if it was much heavier would i have to use all the suspension and axles from the celica???

Dan3312
01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
In North America I'm pretty sure you're right only the 4th Gen GT-S got the 3SGE, honestly though I'm not one to be sure of it, but they got it in other parts of the world, and better versions of it at that.
As for which versions I have, I have a 2nd and 3rd Gen (bother in for sale section right now) as for the weight difference I'm not sure on any of them. I'm told the 3S and at least one of the Toyota V6 weigh pretty well the same. I'm going to say you would need to beef up the suspension some what, and I don't know if the celica stuff would bolt in.... it would be great if the front struts could bolt in and use the font knuckle off of the Celica and everything would be great but I really have no idea on that one.

ciento44
01-25-2007, 10:37 PM
which verson of 3sgte's do you have? was it only the 4th gen gt-s that used the 3SGE (as far as celicas are concerned?) plus does anyone know the weight difference between a 3E-E and a 3S-GTE and 1MZ-FE i think a 3L might be a little heavy for the terk, i dont want to flip over when i hit the breaks haha and if it was much heavier would i have to use all the suspension and axles from the celica???

The 1mzfe is aluminum. Weight difference is like 40 pounds.

3sgte will probably be about 150-200lbs heavier, but entirely worth it.

.aaron.
01-25-2007, 11:02 PM
The 1mzfe is aluminum. Weight difference is like 40 pounds.

3sgte will probably be about 150-200lbs heavier, but entirely worth it.
ya for the power to weight ratio... id be stupid not to haha