PDA

View Full Version : anybody good with con rods & crankshaft

carlosfandango
01-27-2005, 04:21 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2260

see link to post above, 4th gen forum seems a bit slow.

the crankshaft looks as though it may need reground, then oversise shells and a new con rod for no' 3 piston.

or do you think i could get away with just new shells? what would happen if i gave her some beans tho? would the con rod just eventualy break? I dont know enough about stress fractures in steel - i'm more aluminium orientted from my aircraft tech days as an airframes fitter.

cheers fellas.

Mike431635
01-27-2005, 04:05 PM
The crank definitely needs to be measured with a micrometer to check which size bearings you will need. It will likely need to be reground, too. If it's too far out of the tolerance range, you may need a new crank. Since you completely toasted the bearing on #3, you're going to definitely need an oversized bearing. That conrod looked a bit worn. That can be reconditioned if you aren't going to be running a lot of power.

My honest opinion: take it all to a good machine shop and let them tell you what you need to do.

Mike431635
01-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Oh, by the way, you WON'T need the larger bearings if you go with a new crank. Common sense, but I thought I would add that :)