PDA

View Full Version : My rack is bad

Ajilon
01-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Well... not mine... the one on my car.

I've finally nailed down my steering problem and after trying everything on the known planet, I've decided that my rack is bad and I need to replace it. It's logical to believe that after 220K miles it would give up on me.

However, I can't seem to locate one to fit my 88 celi. I've checked ebay and come up empty handed and the scrap yards around here look at me like I've just stripped naked in front of them. I figured I'd ask here before combing the planet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

alltracman78
01-20-2007, 04:18 AM
This is related to your steering problem?

The proportioning valve is probably bad.

Your best bet is a rebuilt one from www.1sttoyotaparts.com

*It took me SO friggin long to type this right... *

BEAMS
01-20-2007, 04:22 AM
You can order the p/s rack from kragen, napa auto parts, autozone. There are thousands of auto part stores. Just depends which one you like. Look them up on yellowpages.com call around to see if they have it in stock.

I wouldnt get one off ebay.... Most non oem ebay parts are crap.

Ajilon
01-20-2007, 04:42 AM
AllTracMan,

Let me explain my steering issue. It's kinda interesting!

Going forward.... no problem. Turning? Sometimes it's ok and other times you can feel the system resisting. It's tight and hard as if the p/s went out on you. if you continue to apply pressure to turn, it'll give in and let you. I've checked everything and I can't find anything else. I'm assuming it's the rack.

ciento44
01-20-2007, 05:14 PM
AllTracMan,

Going forward.... no problem. Turning? Sometimes it's ok and other times you can feel the system resisting. It's tight and hard as if the p/s went out on you. if you continue to apply pressure to turn, it'll give in and let you. I've checked everything and I can't find anything else. I'm assuming it's the rack.

Mine does that sometimes too, but in my case, it's the belt...

VikingJZ
01-20-2007, 08:58 PM
You could do what I did. Mine was leaking, so I took it all out, cleaned it up, replaced the hoses, and put it back in. Then I took the pump and belt out and deleted the lines with a cap silicone combination.

alltracman78
01-20-2007, 10:30 PM
AllTracMan,

Does it matter which way you turn?

If it's the same both ways, it might actually be the pressure relief valve in the pump....

Excuse my other post, I was a tad bit tipsy... :D

Ajilon
01-21-2007, 04:11 AM
It does it both ways but more so turning left. I have off Mon and tues, I think I'm going to go over the system with a fine tooth comb and see if MAYBE (hopefully) it's something else. I really don't wanna replace the rack if I don't HAVE to.

elektrateq
01-21-2007, 06:12 AM
yea... im dreading rebuilding mine. Mine operates just fine as but it leaks fluid so im replacing the seals wich im going to buy for only ~$77. If it's not leaking then it's prolly something worn out internally and it's prolly near impossible to find a new part. Perhaps u could find one that is leaking, not malfunctioning (and thusfore discarded) and just take the internals out, or just replace the seals. Seams like leaks are far more common than malfunctions.

alltracman78
01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
It's really hard to tell for sure without pressure gauges to see what the pressure from the pump is.

However, I wouldn't suggest just getting one to rebuild. A warrenty is nice to have, plust you don't have to go through the trouble of tearing it apart and such.
But, if you are confidant you can do it, you seem to be pretty handy so...