PDA

View Full Version : The Question

1990CelicaGT-S
01-19-2007, 04:10 AM
Hey guys,

Well, I've been asking myself this question for the past two days. As of now I have a 90 GT and GT-S.
I'm selling the GT-S because it's been out for four months and theres no signs of finding out whats wrong with it. Also, I need a family car. Baby seats dont fit that great in the back of fifth gens. There's no point either, the body's not in very great condition.
I have the GT sitting in my driveway. The motors gone, but the body is excellent excluding the floor pans. I wanted to rebuild the GT completely restoring everything and swapping the 3SGTE.

My question is... Should I keep the GT as my project car, or should I wait a little to find an All-Trac? The All-Trac is the obvious answer right? I'm just stressing because I love my two Celicas. I'm having a hard time selling them. Should I wait for the All-Trac to build off of? I'm just not sure how easy it will be to find one.
Everyones .02 is appreciated.

-Thanks

DarkSideCelica
01-19-2007, 07:36 PM
i don't see why u should sell the GT... just do the 3sgte swap to get a half-trac.... at least u'll have a fresh motor to start with, and tht would be the safer route to take imo... but if u want an all-trac badly, just get one.. u should do things u like :)

CandianCelicaGT
01-19-2007, 07:49 PM
And remember, the GT weighs in alot less then the all trac.

MUCH funner to drive as well!

Cavanagh
01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Is it funner to drive? :hehe:

If you like both of your celicas, then keep them and swap your gt.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-20-2007, 04:43 AM
How much more does the All-trac weigh than the GT? I just figured it would be easier to put more power to four wheels instead of only two.

Morwan
01-20-2007, 04:51 AM
What do you want to do with your car? If you just want to race from a roll your entire life, a swap is perfectly fine. But if you're planning to take your car out to any track or RallyX events, it'll be way more fun in a car that can put the power to the ground.

ciento44
01-20-2007, 05:16 PM
How much more does the All-trac weigh than the GT? I just figured it would be easier to put more power to four wheels instead of only two.

GT Coupe or Hatch?

Put it this way... my GT coupe weighs about 600lbs less than an AllTrac.

Sure, it'll have a harder time putting down the power of a 3sgte, but with properly sorted suspension, good tires, and possibly E153LSD, it WILL put it down.

It all comes down to what you want. I've driven enough turbo Hondas lately, that i'm caring less and less about the whole AWD thing, and would rather have light.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-22-2007, 01:13 AM
It's a GT hatch. I know that with the proper suspension and tires I could put the proper power down, but with the All-Trac wouldn't it be much more efficient? I do want a lightweight car but I also want it to be able to put the power to the ground efficiently. Unfortunatly I'm too stuborn to move away from a fifth gen Celica too.

Another major determining factor in whether I keep the GT or wait for something later down the road is the fact that because I will be moving around quite a bit in the next few years I'll have to take this stripped down car along with me. This project was never one that I'd have the money for right away because I'm having a kid, and unfortunatly moneys not as disposable as it once was.

What do you guys think?

Hookecho
01-22-2007, 02:09 AM
if it were me i would get rid of both cars and buy a good reliable family car being that is what is needed. sounds like they're both just taking up space anyway. i'm sure having a kid will keep you occupied enough as it is. save up and buy what you want later on down the road.

Dan3312
01-22-2007, 05:35 AM
You're in Nova Scotia so getting an imported All-Trac wouldn't be hard at all. Usual price is about $6000. The rest of it though about what you should do is very much personal prefference. Good luck becoming a father!

GT4SOM
01-22-2007, 08:01 AM
You sir are in the same boat as I am. I first got my blue 90 Hatch then the engine blew a HG and it sat for a few months. Then I found a great deal on a swapped GTS, bought that and drove that. Then I swapped the blue gt now I have two swaps and I don't drive none of the lol. Only like once or twice a week. I'm usually carpooling with my g/f to work. Honestly if you were going to swap a car, I would do it to the gts because its a wide body car and you're most likely going to want to put some wider after market wheels. Looks much sexier in my opinion.

Edit: Oh yeah i did forget to mention how much of a money pit an alltrac is. Man parts for it are pretty expensive. Also working on them is way harder then it would be on a swap.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the grats guys.

My goal either way was to wait a while to do anything to these cars because my kid is my world. A car can wait (Wish my girlfriend could read that). I have my priorities set...fortunatly.

The thing about the GT-S though is that the frame is a little bent. The GT body is in perfect condition which makes it a lot better to build a project off of.

The question I'm trying to answer to myself now is what I want. Do I want an All-trac or a Swapper? Everyone has great points and either option seems to equal out in the end.

Any other imput would be awsome.