PDA

View Full Version : Master brake cylinder

Ajilon
01-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Rebuild or replace?

I've done everything else I can think of to fix my brakes. New pads, rotors, flushed the lines, swapped them out and bled them 3 times. Now I'm down to the Master brake Cylinder as the culprit.

Bleeding helped ALOT but not entirely where they should be. No way are you locking them up to avoid anything.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations?

2kSnakEater
01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
try oem (from the dealer) , if its too outrageously expensive then go to discount auto.

T-spoon
01-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Toyota rebuild kit would be 40-45 dollars. That may be your best bet. Depending on the production date of your Celi, the master cylinder itself may be discontinued. If not, it would be about 150. (more like 250 most likely if you buy it over the counter at your local dealer)

RedWing
01-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi ajilon,

IIRC, a long time ago(20yrs +) I put in a rebuild master cylinder in one of my cars, I seem to remember having done all the stuff you already did.

Also, it may be the power brake booster, so check out that posibility too.

For the life of me ,I cant remember what car it was.

Anyhow, if your car is fast & you drive it fast, use new parts. If its a daily driver that you dont speed with, use rebuilt parts or get a rebuild kit.

Sometimes, I could get a rebuild kit to work for me. Othertimes I tried to rebuild it myself, ended up with a bad job and ended up buying a rebuilt part
anyways.

At least, if you buy a good quality rebuilt, you wont end up doing the job twice to fix it once.

Sorry, I'm new to this board, so I dont know what car u have or how much of a mechanic you are.

Not everyone that drives a sports car can rebuild the engine! :D

Ajilon
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Redwing,

Hmmm never thought about the booster! Thanks for bringing that up.

My abilities are only limited by my inhibition to ask the right questions, which is why I'm here. I know more than you'd expect from the sight of me and I've had great help and support along the way.

This braking prob is in my 88 Celica vert. I wouldn't say it's my daily driver. I drive it for a bit, get bored and drive something else that I have.

The only other problem that I'm having is in the steering. It's a quite a bit notchy (for lack of a better description). That's got me stumped and I've been surfing every book, site and thread just trying to find a starting point with it. It seems like it doesn't want to let you turn. It's real tight at first and then you can feel the system suddenly give in. Weird.

RedWing
01-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Point I failed to get across is that if you drive fast with a car you need to be able to stop even faster, if you want any chance of not smashing your car all up.

With this in mind , only top quality brake parts, racing brakes ,big brake kits
are good enough.

It is not if the car is worth it, it is if you are worth it. (Well,actually, both you & the car get saved.)

Small price to pay even 1000.oo for racing brakes, (dont cost1/3 that price,just making example) if it avoids for you just one accident, and it may well avoid 4 you several accidents.

After you smash up just one car, you will "understanley" my point a whole lot better.
Hypothetically,
What would have happened if you could cut down your stopping distance by 50%
Would there have even been a collision?? Maybe not. With big brake kit racing brakes, instead of needing 100 ft to stop, you could stop in 50 feet.

Looks like cheap insurance to me.

I dont intend to put racing brake kit on my honda civic because its my daily driver go slow gas saver. I just put racing brake pads on that car.

2004 celica GTS gets big racing brake kit. After I make it stop fast, then I see
about making it go faster.

Up to you to determine what is good enough 4 you & your car.
--------------------------------------------------------
"Choose Wisely"
quote from "The Holy Grail"staring Harison Ford.

T-spoon
01-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Point I failed to get across is that if you drive fast with a car you need to be able to stop even faster, if you want any chance of not smashing your car all up.

With this in mind , only top quality brake parts, racing brakes ,big brake kits
are good enough.

It is not if the car is worth it, it is if you are worth it. (Well,actually, both you & the car get saved.)

Small price to pay even 1000.oo for racing brakes, (dont cost1/3 that price,just making example) if it avoids for you just one accident, and it may well avoid 4 you several accidents.

After you smash up just one car, you will "understanley" my point a whole lot better.
Hypothetically,
What would have happened if you could cut down your stopping distance by 50%
Would there have even been a collision?? Maybe not. With big brake kit racing brakes, instead of needing 100 ft to stop, you could stop in 50 feet.

Looks like cheap insurance to me.

I dont intend to put racing brake kit on my honda civic because its my daily driver go slow gas saver. I just put racing brake pads on that car.

2004 celica GTS gets big racing brake kit. After I make it stop fast, then I see
about making it go faster.

Up to you to determine what is good enough 4 you & your car.
"Choose Wisely"
quote from "The Holy Grail"staring Harison Ford.

Not to get sidetracked, but as long as the brakes are functioning properly and a lot of heating up of the brakes isn't happening (IE, no worries about brake fade etc.) the condition of the tires and reaction time and road conditions is going to matter the most for daily driving as far as braking is concerned. Good brakes is a good thing, don't misunderstand my point, but it's a little like spark plug wires, if they are working they're working.

RedWing
01-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Easiest fix is to change out the steering box,if you sure that the trouble.

Alternately, looseness or play or stiffness MIGHT be adjusted out by someone that knows well your steering box.

Another thought is when was the last time you changed your power steering fluid. Never?? Power steering fluid should be changed every 40,000 miles.

Make sure you read the power steering filler cap, some of those steering pumps will only take the one recommended power stearing oil and not work properly with the wrong ps oil.

Changing P>S>oil cheapest, so try it first.
Stearing box choices:
1. new --2 expensive?
2. rebuilt part
3.junk yard part
4. rebuild kit
a.you rebuild--b. pay professional to rebuild

I just remember, check related parts called upper & lower ball joints, and all
steering joint, tie rod ends . They should turn relatively easily--not be dried up and nearly frozen tight.

But ,they should not be sloppy and too loose either.

You not sure how to check it properly, ask your gear head buddies. No gear head friends, ask mechanic.
Last resort or first resort??? Buy Haynes manuel and read. You can still get the old ones.
Luck!

Luni
01-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Gina, call Toyota Todd.

Go to dexonline.com and look up "Fort Wayne Toyota"

Call that number, ask for Toyota Parts, and ask for Todd when the parts counter answers.

Talk to him. He knows his stuff, and he gives us a discount. Tell him Luni told you to call him. Hes taken care of me MANY times. Hes my only parts guy I use. Ive bought so much crap from him its unreal.

Id go with a new master cylinder. While youre replacing stuff, you might want to look into getting some stainless steel lines. They really tighten things up and make everything feel more direct.

And for your steering, you have a powersteering leak Ill bet and youre feeling an air pocket not engaging the fluid to assist you. Then when it grabs its the power assist kicking in. Id say to talk to Todd about it. He might be able to recommend some hoses and stuff to replace. Good luck.

Point is though, call Todd.

T-spoon
01-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Gina, call Toyota Todd.

Go to dexonline.com and look up "Fort Wayne Toyota"

Call that number, ask for Toyota Parts, and ask for Todd when the parts counter answers.

Talk to him. He knows his stuff, and he gives us a discount. Tell him Luni told you to call him. Hes taken care of me MANY times. Hes my only parts guy I use. Ive bought so much crap from him its unreal.

Id go with a new master cylinder. While youre replacing stuff, you might want to look into getting some stainless steel lines. They really tighten things up and make everything feel more direct.

And for your steering, you have a powersteering leak Ill bet and youre feeling an air pocket not engaging the fluid to assist you. Then when it grabs its the power assist kicking in. Id say to talk to Todd about it. He might be able to recommend some hoses and stuff to replace. Good luck.

Point is though, call Todd.

Good lord, I'd have to donate more to the site for advertising like that :eek: I was just trying to give the info without making a sales pitch.

In any event, that's cool, call Todd. Do make sure you have your VIN on you. Like I said, depending on the production date for yours it is a discontinued part and you won't get a brand new one. If it's not discontinued and he's giving you a good discount it'll be around 150 plus shipping.