PDA

View Full Version : hello, new celica owner here.

RedWing
01-17-2007, 03:23 PM
:)

I thought I'd take this opprutunity to introduce myself to the forum.
Im Larry, from ct.- retired & just got my first ever sports car.

I just bought a 2004 celi gts absoultly red , at, 1.8L, 180 hp 11.5 to 1 compression
stock configuration, no mods yet. Is got 18k miles & I paid $20k Has year
left on fact warr.

I bought the at on purpose because I live in mountianious region with wall to wall trafic anytime b4-1am and I usually burn out new clutches in under 8 months, if I dont backslip into someones grill first.

I was lurking over at newcelica.org but their server is out 4 a while, so here
I am.

Lots of good info here.

I have a question. What's the best oil, in the 3.oo to 6.oo a qt range,
for a 11.5 to 1 high compression engine that has 2 burn premium gas.
Toyota recommends 5w30 wieght.

Redline full syn at 18.oo qt is a bit too expensive and so is I think royal purple, unelse I do a supercharger mod which would require those oils &
the way the cops are around here, Im not sure I want to go there.
If its
fast, eventually, Ill use it & eventually, they will get me for it.

So what is a really good oil to use when I am not racing but just driving fast.

3 guys over at newcelica were complaining that the spun their connecting rod bearings using mobile 1 syn. while others thought it was great & a couple of guys switched to castrol 5/30 dinosaur oil because they thought that the synthitic thickened up as it aged.

The forum crashed before I could read the last 3 pages of the post, so I have no idea what they decied on.What do you guys think?

Cavanagh
01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Welcome to C-tech, the best celica site out there. Uh...i would recomend mabye reading some of the 7th gen sectioned thread, though this site is more 5th gen orented, someone here will know.

Fuelish
01-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Welcome to celicatech, and ditto Cavanagh's post - check the 7thgen sub-forum here, and, yeah, there does indeed seem to be a LOT of us 5th gen'ers here :cool: My personal unprofessional opinion is that if your car is stock, just stick with factory recommendations for oil visc/weight and change it religiously. Regular oil changes are more important than the oil used, imho. I've never, ever, in my life had any problem related to quality (or lack thereof ;) ) of the oil I've been running, in any car. Your GTS sounds fun, btw....I test drove a Corolla XRS (same motor as yours, slightly de-tuned, perhaps) was a blast, but....I didn't fancy the insurance premiums nor paying for premium gas (my wife's car - we ended up getting the '05 'rolla S instead....looks nice, anyway...heh)

StylusGuy1
01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Nice, a fellow New Englander & fellow n00b...I just joined the forum too...

I've tried lots of different types of oils in my cars and have yet to see any kind of difference. I'd say just stick with what you trust & the grade recommended in the manual

Oil filters on the other hand, spend the $8-9 and get a K&N or Mobil 1. I cut some filters open once to compare innards and the cheapo frams & store generic ones had lower quality construction & medias.

Good luck w/ the car!

RedWing
01-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi stilusguy,

You know , I had to drive out to Pembroke mass. out near Plymouth Rock, to buy my celi gts.
Not even 1 in ct for sale.

I only seen 2 in Ct besides mine since 2000 and none of my friends have ever seen anything like it, except for Felix, who is a used car salesman. He saw one .

I think your right on the money about buying a premium oil filter. All my other cars are workhorses, but the celi I want to baby, that is, when I'm not
driving it faster than I really should.
But,as much as I like to save gas, one can only stand 35 mph for so long and then, It's time to let the horses out & see how fast they run.

RedWing
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
fuelish--
You hit that nail on the head. My insurance doubled over what I was paying before. And high test $2.79/gal.

But I have the 98 civic hatchback 2 save gas with.

I wanted a cool looking car that went fast and stood out from the pack
of every day ho-hum-mobiles. Plus, the celi still get 30mpg, if I dont play too hard with it. Honda 70 hp less and it only get 38 mpg.

So ,I get sports car & good gas milage ,too.

That why I didnt buy the 350Z, only gets 22 mpg highway when you putt-putt easy.And 14 or less if you step on it.

For some reason, I never cared much for big cars with big engines,I owned 3 of them, but I always felt like I was driving a tank.

I always liked small sub compact 4 cyl. I had a 72 corona 4dr at with an 18rc that I drove for 10 years & then sold in 88. At least, I think it said 18rc on engine.

ciento44
01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Welcome. :) I've always wanted a 7th gen as a daily... i envy you. Got any pictures?

Gas is $2.79 for high test out there? O.o

The place where i got my gas this morning had it for $1.99. It was nice. (87 was $1.79.)

RedWing
01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Here she is. Her name is RedWing.http://www.celicatech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=553&stc=1

I dont know if I did this properly, I hope you can see the picture.

RedWing
01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
This celi is my toy.
The daily driver is 98 honda civic hatchbach.

The 87olds tows my trailer, but its out of comission pending new idler pulley shaft & all new shocks & struts as is the 87Dodge Colt(mitsimirage) pending a junk yard pass side rear swing arm complete with spindle,hub and bearings. That back wheel blew 2 sets of bearings,one at 34,000 and the replacement at 34,800 so it gets a whole junk yard swing arm. No I didnt leave the 1 off the milage, I bought both cars new and work at home. Olds has 17,900 on it.

For some reason, I never have much luck with cars after they get 19 years old.
Its like , at 19 years, every thing starts to break, one thing after another.

Fuelish
01-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I always liked small sub compact 4 cyl. I had a 72 corona 4dr at with an 18rc that I drove for 10 years & then sold in 88. At least, I think it said 18rc on engine. RedWing....same here.....my dad owned a '72 Corona as well, then traded it in on a '73 ('74, perhaps ???) Corona Mk II, which was traded in on a '75 Celica ST, which I basically grew up driving and bought from him when I graduated from college in '80, and drove until '91, when we traded it in on a '91 Tercel (which was traded in on my wife's '05 Corolla S.... ). I've only owned one vehicle which wasn't a small 4-banger (I "inherited" my Dad's '95 Oldsmobile 88 several years ago, when he became no longer able to drive, and it was the biggest, clumsiest, most unreliable pos I've ever driven). Fortunately, it was involved in a minor fender-bender, after which the insurance company "totalled" it, and a guy up the street from me was selling his wife's '92 Celi GT convertible at the same time last May. The rest is history - my vert is in near perfect condition, and I've picked up a few bits and pieces I wanted/needed from folks here on the forum (clear corners/turn lenses and some vert top weatherstripping). Good luck with your final generation (for now, anyways) Celica :)

Fuelish
01-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Nice :)
Here she is. Her name is RedWing.http://www.celicatech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=553&stc=1

I dont know if I did this properly, I hope you can see the picture.

RedWing
01-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I named my car RedWing, I wonder why?
Maybe because of that big thing thats bolted to the hatchback.
Of course ,Its a she, just like Kirk's Enterpise is a she.
And of course, if I,m going to be in a celicia club, why not take the same handle as my car.
I usually have reasons for stuff that I do, weather they are good ones or not is not always readily apparent.

Hookecho
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
welcome to c-tech.

hobbie2k
01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Welcome! When I saw your username I thought you might be a fellow Minnesota guy (Red Wing is the name of a fairly large town on the Mississippi, also the name of a MN shoe company).

Hope you have fun here. 7th genners are kinda rare--only the classic RWD Celicas are less represented (which is how I came here)--but I'm sure you'll find this site to be a great place for information on everything Celica, Toyota, or Automotive in general.

Take a look at byrnyd's "Coolest car ever" thread. How many import forums would tolerate that post? :)

That, and it's also a nice place to hang out.

RedWing
01-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I try hard not to think about that chevy--it's just too damn perfect in every respect.I don't like full size cars and I dont like v8's ,except for that one.

I do believe I'd buy it if he offered to sell it for 30k, I hope i didnt insult him with that price,Im no expert on restored muscle cars or what all that speed equipment is worth.

Damn car turns me green with envy. I keep thinking , if I'd just looked a little harder and spent a little more, I could have had something like that car ,instead.

:pron:

hobbie2k
01-18-2007, 11:40 PM
There's a helluva lot more than 30k in that car. The thing is, that car is so worked that it'll probably never be driven. It probably CAN'T be driven, other than a couple 1/4mi runs and some shows...

But, like I said, it's a testament to this site that we can talk about an old musclecar like that (the anti-thesis of what this forum is about).

RedWing
01-18-2007, 11:58 PM
So, just curious, whats you guestimate as to what it cost him to get that car that way?

Just to give me an idea what I'd have to put out to get something similar.

'90 CeLicA Aus
01-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Oooh, that's a sexy colour!!

hobbie2k
01-19-2007, 04:13 AM
So, just curious, whats you guestimate as to what it cost him to get that car that way?

Just to give me an idea what I'd have to put out to get something similar.

I'm not too familiar with what it costs to make a muscle car. But I'm positive there's more than 30k in the motor alone, possibly more like 50k. Then there's the driveline, I have no idea what it would cost for a driveline to handle that much power. There's the brake and suspension upgrades, quite possibly 10k in there. The paint job is probably more than 5k, even more if a body-off-frame restoration was part of the deal. Then there's the interior...and we haven't even started to talk about the getting the car in the first place.

I'd guess that there's 100k or maybe even more all up (parts and labor) in that car.

If you're thinking only of the looks, you could probably get a good looking, reasonably fast car from the era for about 10k, or an rough-but-solid one for 5k and then fix it up some.

A friend of mine has got a 1969 Camaro Z/28 that's been sitting for years. His dad was the original owner and has always said he was gonna get it going again...but it never seems to happen. Hopefully my friend will get it moving, though.

KotahGTS
01-19-2007, 07:37 AM
I know i'm a little late, I seldom pop in on this section because I don't usually understand any of it. But welcome to ctech!

want a cookie? lol

RedWing
01-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the hello, Kotas
That a good looking red 90 celi gts you have there.
Kinda reminds me of one my friend used to own years ago.
I wish he had kept it, but wifey made him sell it & get a beater ride and give her the difference $$$$. :lolhittin
green ball was Jim & that wifey hitting him & laughing she made him sell his car
& give her the $$.

So Sad.

RedWing
01-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi hobbie2k,

I post movie link today
http://teamsadistic.net/VoodooGTS_BlitzVideo.wmv

This could be my current ride with about $10k for parts but who much more for labor??? to get all them goddies bolted up under the hood??

All my friends old timers getting ready to collect social security, Linus give me all his tools, say he to old to work any more.

I figured , I buy myself 1 fat ride before I 2 old 2 drive.

Now, of course, I want to mod it. I should just be happy to have it

and let it go at that.

But, as soon as you stop setting goals to reach 4 ,you start 2 die a little inside.

It would have been more senseable 4 me to have bought a 07 civic & put the rest of the $ in the bank 4 my old age. But , my old age here, now!

So, what am i saving 4, 2 give $ to doctors & hospitals.
I'd rather Go Galloping off into the sun set than end up in some nursinghome.

:Ban1: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: