PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound?

CollapsedNut
01-17-2007, 02:05 AM
I got a vision for my ST so I wanna hear what people think. Step one will be removing a little weight from the car by stripping the backseat, plastic pannels, probably keep the dash though. Next will be suspension, since these cars are built for handling anyways I think this will be a huge part of the project. Once I get the suspension done I want to swap motors, probably be a 4age 20v swap and convert to 5speed trans while swaping. Somewhere In this time Ill do a body kit and nice exterior mods. What do yall think about this idea? Most people say "o its an st just throw it away blah bla.." but I am a fan of using what I have and making it into something...and like Ive said before this would be a great learning project on whats works and what doesnt and if I do get tierd of it or mess it up or wreak it im not out much, the car would be gone but the stuff I learn will still be there..

ciento44
01-17-2007, 02:12 AM
I like the idea. Celicas were not built to go stupid fast in a straight line, but they DO handle pretty well for an older front driver.

Nice suspension, light, and a nice, high revving fun engine should make for an entertaining car, and probably wouldn't kill the bank too bad.

So get to work, and keep us posted. :)

1990CelicaGT-S
01-17-2007, 02:33 AM
I like that your wanting to work off of what you have. An ST is an ST, same with other models. They are what you make out of them. I like your ideas.

Now it's time for some research. Check on the "forced induction" board. NDMstang65 has a complete step by step with photos on swapping a 3S-GTE into his ST.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22296

Celicas are a great car. And your project sounds like a great one. Keep us updated with your project.

Cavanagh
01-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Once I get the suspension done I want to swap motors, probably be a 4age 20v swap and convert to 6speed trans while swaping.
*FIXED*:hehe:

Ya know, you can grab a 6 spd that comes with the clip. Keep us posted on what you wanna do if you decide to add stuff or whatnot.

Rix86
01-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Blacktop.
blacktop and 6 speed.
for the work involved in a silvertop swap, you might as well swap in a smallport 4ag with cams and have more power.

Murgatroy
01-17-2007, 05:55 AM
I would leave out the bodykit though. If you are looking to lose weight, a bodykit is not going to be your friend. Get a flat carbon fiber hood and a CS nose conversion complete with lighter bumper.

hobbie2k
01-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I would leave out the bodykit though. If you are looking to lose weight, a bodykit is not going to be your friend. Get a flat carbon fiber hood and a CS nose conversion complete with lighter bumper.

:stupid: I was just gonna post that.

CollapsedNut
01-18-2007, 01:33 AM
I didnt think they would add that much weight. I was just kinda sittin lookin at my celica today and desided against a body kit anyways...it just looks very rally like stock and I like.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Body kits are over rated anyways. I'd go for CS bumper than a full kit anyday. I kind of like the look of this lip on the CS bumper though.

http://www.jdm-per4mance.com/product_info.php/cPath/202_276_639/products_id/897

What does everyone else think?

hobbie2k
01-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Looks good. Not too flashy, sleek and subtle. But it's still added weight (if less than a full kit) and I don't really see any aerodynamic advantages.

Those kits do make a big difference. I read an article where they took a 2001 Sentra SE 2.0 and just removing the guy's aftermarket wing, body kit, and chrome wheels improved his 1/4 mile times nearly 2 seconds.

If you're gonna do any exterior mods, maybe do a small spoiler to help stability at speed if your gonna hit the track. If it's just a street car, or an autocross car forget even the spoiler. You'll never be going fast enough for it to make a real difference.

ciento44
01-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Looks good. Not too flashy, sleek and subtle. But it's still added weight (if less than a full kit) and I don't really see any aerodynamic advantages.

Those kits do make a big difference. I read an article where they took a 2001 Sentra SE 2.0 and just removing the guy's aftermarket wing, body kit, and chrome wheels improved his 1/4 mile times nearly 2 seconds.

If you're gonna do any exterior mods, maybe do a small spoiler to help stability at speed if your gonna hit the track. If it's just a street car, or an autocross car forget even the spoiler. You'll never be going fast enough for it to make a real difference.

Well... they also ran 2 donuts, completely stripped the interior, sawzalled most of the body, and ran a ridiculous intake. :P

I don't remember the final number that they got, but you're probably right on the money with the 2 seconds with what you listed.

85gtsblackman
01-18-2007, 05:40 AM
i remember that the vid was posted on here somewhere

Murgatroy
01-18-2007, 06:32 AM
If you are gonna strip your interior to save weight, putting a body kit on, even if the weight is still less in the end, is redundant.

With some serious dedication, it is easy to remove 200+ pounds from a car. Every 100 pounds is a 0.10th of a second in the 1/4.

There are enough parts available to knock some serious weight off as well. ViS makes a flat carbon fibre hood as well as fiberglass fenders. With the smaller bumper of a CS conversion, some light weight wheels, and a lack of an interior, you could expect a fair bit. Put in a cage and you can start taking more weight out.

I noticed another thread the OP started asking about suspension mods too. Coupe or Liftback?

You can get a coilover set from Groundcontrol, Adrian will be able to answer most questions about suspension in a FWD Celica anyone could have. Just search the Suspension forum for his threads.

With some body braces, strut bars, and a cage, the car will be rock solid.

If you stay with the 4A series engines, you will also stay with the lightest engine.

All in all, it is possible to have a coupe weigh in at less than 1900lbs and make 200HP.

That is a good recipe.

hobbie2k
01-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Well... they also ran 2 donuts, completely stripped the interior, sawzalled most of the body, and ran a ridiculous intake. :P

I don't remember the final number that they got, but you're probably right on the money with the 2 seconds with what you listed.

I think they got it down to a very low 13 or high 12. From a start of almost 18. That with the stock 145hp SR20DE. But by then it was nothing but 4 wheels, a floorpan, tranny, engine, and a seat.