PDA

View Full Version : roof rack

Tristan
01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
does any on ehave any pics of a 5th gen with a roof rack.

Or do any of you guys have a roof rack?

I've decided that pulling my kayak trailer with the celica is not a goo didea but if i could just throw one up top that'd be fine.

I'm looking for pics of what some of them look lik eon the roof or if I should just build my own...

Tris

Murgatroy
01-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Celica's can tow too.

Conrad uses his Alltrac to pull his Starlet around.

Hookecho
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
i don't think a roof rack would look right.

Tristan
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I understand the celica can tow. but i'd rather just throw it on the top.

As far as looking right, I'm not looking for a HIP streamline roofrack that all the kids will think looks JDM tite YO. I'm a function over form kinda guy.

If we wanna get into things we think dont look right, I'm not a fan of body kits, But i'm not gonna tell you I think your car doesnt look right because of the body kit on it. If you want it on there go for it.....

Tris

DarkSideCelica
01-17-2007, 06:40 PM
i've been thinking abt getting one too... try looking for the brand yakima (sp?)

Tristan
01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I've looked into Yakima, But i'm unsure how the q-clip system would work on the window sills. If you look at how they attach you will see that the acutal mounts would only be able to have the acutla bars from the racks about 10 inches apart.

I'm not sure that that would be sturdy enough.

Like on 4 door cars you would attach the mounts on the front and rear window sills. This allowes the weight to be displaced over the entire roof.

check it out and lemme kno what you think

Tris

hobbie2k
01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I've looked into Yakima, But i'm unsure how the q-clip system would work on the window sills. If you look at how they attach you will see that the acutal mounts would only be able to have the acutla bars from the racks about 10 inches apart.

I'm not sure that that would be sturdy enough.

Like on 4 door cars you would attach the mounts on the front and rear window sills. This allowes the weight to be displaced over the entire roof.

check it out and lemme kno what you think

Tris

That's kinda what I was worried about when I first read your posts. I don't think weight is the issue, though, however far apart the mounts are, they are still supporting the same weight. I think the issue is balance. If you keep the front and rear tied down tight and make sure it can's slide forward or back at all, you'll probably be okay. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.

T-spoon
01-17-2007, 11:36 PM
FWIW a lot of the port/dealer installed racks for Toyotas are Yakima, so it should be a pretty trustworthy brand.

Tristan
01-18-2007, 06:23 AM
We shall see.
im going to go to a few outdoor shops tomm., most of them install roof racks im going to ask if they've done a celica.
Tris

Murgatroy
01-18-2007, 06:36 AM
We shall see.
im going to go to a few outdoor shops tomm., most of them install roof racks im going to ask if they've done a celica.
Tris
That would be the best. Even if they haven't installed one before, they should have the experience to know if it would work.

RedWing
01-18-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=554&stc=1

2004 celicia GTS, 18k miles, $20k, AT. rated to tow up to 2000 lbs and yes I am getting a class 1 hitch and 2in ball for it to tow my 225 lb, 4' x 8' utility trailer. This doubles the usefullness of the car.

I think towing is a good idea, as long as you dont over wieght the trailer
and take it easy with the car when towing.

I think u wasting u money with a roof rack. Too much effort to get boat up and down from roof. Takes 2 people,minimum. Roof rack never do the job of a small utility trailer.

Utility trailer best thing I ever buy. I use it year in and year out. Go to garbage dump, buy riding mowers & snowblowers, get new water heater from home depot, get 4 ft x 8 ft plywood & stockade fence & posts. Get 100 lb bags of portland cement, bricks, move cement mixer, cut tree down and take logs home 4 wood stove. Get 6 cords free wood that way, last summer.
Buy and sell wood stoves & delever & install them.
But your car, your boat,your effort & your money so, your choice!

Have fun & enjoy your decision.

Tristan
01-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Wont be a problem getting it ontop of the car. I put it on my kayak/canoe trailer by my self each time. (over 7 feet high)

Tris