PDA

View Full Version : 93 civic trans swap?

CollapsedNut
01-15-2007, 02:29 AM
I know afew people on here know alot about hondas so Im wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to swap a 5speed trans into a 93 civic LX that has the auto? I have a chance to get this car but it has been overheated alot so how do you think the motor will be? I guess I just need to compression check and leakdown test it...see whats goin on inside

BEAMS
01-15-2007, 07:49 AM
http://www.honda-tech.com/ -will have info on auto-manual trans swaps. Good luck.

hobbie2k
01-15-2007, 02:56 PM
It will probably be easier just to find one with a manual tranny than swap it. Also, the motors are quite tough (the fact that it still runs after overheating is testament to that), but any motor would be significantly weaker after overheating...

I'd say if it's free take it as a daily driver and run it till it dies. Then if the rest of the car is in good shape you can look into swapping the motor and tranny at the same time.

But if you want one with a strong motor and a manual right now, look elsewhere.

trah
01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
It's not that hard to convert to Auto from 5spd. THings you need are listed below.

Civic 5spd Tranny (either DOHC or SOHC)
Flywheel
Pressure Plate
Clutch
Civic 5spd Axels (you can also use ur Auto but these might be old so rebuild or replace)
Clutch Line
Clutch Pedal
Shift Linkages for 5spd

Also I have all the parts for this conversion since Im parting mine out. I have a 92-95 Civic EX and all the parts are available. Power Window Conversion and ETC.... Let me know before I part all these parts on Ebay. I have everything for this car except wheel stuff because i need to roll this car to the Junk Yard lol

Let me kno :sneak:

CollapsedNut
01-15-2007, 04:59 PM
The car is my sisters and shes getting a new one so I can get it free, needs tires, allignment fixed, paint is fair so Im hoping to make the civic my DD cause its 4 door anyways so I'll probably leave it auto so I can eat my thick burger and still drive(safely) lol Im not sure about the motor, it kinda scares me cause its been overheated more than afew times...still runs good and strong though. For all wondering Im still going for the cobalt ss/sc in april so ill use the civic for trade in and keep the celica! Hurray! haha

edit: and what does this sound like to yall...if you neutral dump it into drive :) it doesnt take off it bounces and makes lots of clickin noise...motor/tranny mount maybe? or just f-ed tranny?

90CelicaST
01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Trah, you forgot to add the passenger side body mount. They are different between the two and if the auto one is still used, will cause the axles to pop out of the trans. Also the DOHC(B Series, unless its a ZC) trans cant be used on a Dseries.

2kSnakEater
01-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Nut man, why dont you trade in the Celica and the Honda on that Cobalt? it would bring your payments down a little more and its not like you have a GTS/All-Trac

trah
01-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Trah, you forgot to add the passenger side body mount. They are different between the two and if the auto one is still used, will cause the axles to pop out of the trans. Also the DOHC(B Series, unless its a ZC) trans cant be used on a Dseries.

I know that you cant use tranny on a SOHC motor or visa Vera If you read Carefully he did not mention what kind of motor he had either stock swap or what. he didn't mention if it was 4dr coupe or hatch want me to go on lol. Sorry for being a ass but engine mount won't matter. 92-95 all of em are the same from auto to 5spd. and BTW the motor mount will not cause the axels to pop out, only poor installation :lolhittin

zmile06
01-16-2007, 04:43 AM
I wanted to convert my 93 celica st the manual then i figured out i would rather kill myself:) Just a word of advice.

TheNefariousOne
01-16-2007, 04:57 AM
It's not THAT bad. I did it never having done it before and despite some hurdles, got it done.

Luni
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Dont forget theres 2 types of setups in hondas. Cable driven and hydraulic ones.

It would be far easier to get a hydraulic setup from an EG/EK manual civic than trying to use the cable driven system off a EF.

EF 88-91
EG 92-95
EK 96-00

Dont forget the clutch master/slave cylinders, and shifter assembly in your parts list Trah.

I also just brought in my Resident Honda Guru. Lets see what he says

InitialD93
01-17-2007, 01:44 AM
we did it in my friends 4 door... drove in auto then drove out manual in 9 hours... there was much beer involved and it was cold... so u may be able to do it faster... we had a whole parts car to pull stuff from and 4 ppl working on it.

CollapsedNut
01-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Yeah I dont think it could be too hard if I had all the parts there ready to go.
Im still debating..donno if I really want to spend time on this car or not...what kinda hp and torque does this motor put out any ways..its a 93 4 door LX dohc

trah
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah I dont think it could be too hard if I had all the parts there ready to go.
Im still debating..donno if I really want to spend time on this car or not...what kinda hp and torque does this motor put out any ways..its a 93 4 door LX dohc

are you sure its DOHC ?? if its a stock civic lx model puts out about 115hp and 107tq SOHC. I have a EX/SI tranny for you (SOHC) shorter gears and everything no grinding =). I will sell you as a complete set if needed tahts if you decide on doing this conversion.

CollapsedNut
01-18-2007, 01:38 AM
I just learned today that it isnt dohc, coulda swore when I put a valve cover gasket on it awhile back there were two cams lol. trah man that sounds good but im unsure if i wanna swap it as of now or soon. Im probably gonna DD the civic so ill just leave it all stock, avoid having another riced civic in this town lol. If your saying you have everything i need short of a clutch pack then ill be alot more interested....

trah
01-18-2007, 03:11 AM
I have an entire 92-95 honda civic coupe. All the parts will fit on your 4dr. interior is all gone. I have a integra dash conversion with dash and cluster and everything willing to sell that as a whole. Also have heater core that you need to swap when doing a dash conversion. Let me know. I still have this car in my garage since its cold outside....Let me know dude

Cavanagh
01-18-2007, 03:21 AM
I wanna see your shell. Post that bad boy.

90CelicaST
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Sorry for being a ass but engine mount won't matter. 92-95 all of em are the same from auto to 5spd. and BTW the motor mount will not cause the axels to pop out, only poor installation :lolhittin

I never said anything about a motor mount. Passenger side is trans, the body mount(piece of metal with the ears for the bolts..) is different and will cause the trans to not be level.
After the trans had been taken out and put back in several times by someone who has been working on Hondas since he was 12, and they still pop out due to poor installation of the trans? I don't think so. After replacing the body mount, the axles never came out again. I know what I saw, don't tell me otherwise.