PDA

View Full Version : Problem while replacing heater core

zmile06
01-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Well it easily took me 10 hours to take off the whole dash WITH someone, i need to know how to get the metal clip behind the heater core housing, its so cramped i cant get a screw driver or ANYTHING. Any suggestions? The white plastic heater core housing that you have to remove to get to the heater core... Anyways thanks.

zmile06
01-14-2007, 06:28 AM
93 toyota celica ST sorry i forgot

I'm having hell trying to get this clip off.

alltracman78
01-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Which clip?

Can you get a pic?

zmile06
01-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Which clip?

Can you get a pic?

No im sorry i cant its between the white plastic housing and the firewall. I can barley get a hand back there let alone ANY tool to pull the metal clip off.

There are metal clips all around the middle section of the housing holding it from rattling i guess, there are screws so im not completly why they need clips too.. But they are taken off to seperate the bottom half off so you can get to the heater core.

And im having a horrible time trying to get it off, i spent around an hour to try and get it off and no luck...

alltracman78
01-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Ah, are they the little metal clips that you thumb back?
Almost like a smaller version of the ones on the airbox?

Are you trying to remove this without removing the dash?

I have never tried to take the core itself out with out removing the whole plasitic surround first.....

I guess I really can't give you any advice other than it sounds like you're going to have to pull the entire thing, unless you can get your fingers back there.

zmile06
01-15-2007, 02:32 AM
I took the whole dash off but i left the top of the dash (above the streering wheel). I just cant get the rear metal clip on thats holding the plastic box. The manual says it just clips apart. And i got everything off except the rear metal clip.

I'm not going to spend 2 more hours taking of the top dash apart. Ill get it some how, did you put all the metal clips back? Will it rattle like crazy if i leave the rear one off?

And ya tahts the same metal clip your talking about.

RedWing
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm goint 2 stick my neck out here and hope to help.
I just finished replacing a heater core on a 87 olds cutless ceria and it had metal clips on it also holding the black plastic box together around the heater core. I put a large flat bladed screwdriver end up against them(the clips) and tapped thr handle of the screwdriver to drive them off of the plastic. I cocked the blade sideways so that it would catch the egde of the metal clips.

I did not bother to reinstall the steel clips ,too much trouble.The joints of the plastic heater core housing were caulked with some kind of black tar
so I doubt there will be any rattling. I had to pull off the cover against the stickiness of the calking and when I reassembled the housing ,it reglued itself.
I did put back all the screws though.

I also had to cut off a section of the plastic heater core housing to remove the old core and reinstall the replacement core.

I used a 300 watt instant heat soldering gun to remelt the cut plastic back in place. worked out quite sucessfully and no one will ever see the hack job I had to do way under the dash, as it is.

I did not have to remove the top of the dash but a did have to disassemble the bottom plastic under dash covers. This spring, I will take then out of the trunk and screw them back on. Meanwhile , the heater works great.