PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy?

Ajilon
01-12-2007, 03:13 PM
I figured this was the best place to poll everyone since no knows these cars better than you guys.

I need a car for my daughter. My expectations are for the car to last her roughly a year before I'm putting major money into it or getting her another one. My price range is limited since she's a new driver. I don't necessarily want to put her into an 8K car and have her total it.

I want another celica. She's in love with mine, but letting her have a convertible isn't a good idea. Plus, mine is my baby. I'd cry if she scratched it. I'd have a stroke if she totaled it.

I know 2 that are selling their celicas relatively locally.

A) is a 95 Celica GT, 5 speed with all the options, sunroof, power everything. As with me, it's his baby, but his wife is forcing him to sell it. He's done all the routine maintenance, oil changes, brakes, etc and it's never given him a problem. New timing chain on it, and new tires, but that's it. Again... it's well cared for. He's willing to let me have it for 1800.00... HOWEVER.... it's got 274000 miles on it, the bulk being highway miles. My fear....this car is going to die within the next 20-30K.

B) is a 93 Celica GT 5 speed with 184,000. It's a base model, no options and in reasonably good condition. It's an auction car, so no idea of the history or maintence. This one would be 1500.00

If you have to choose between the 2, which one would you put your money into?

Thanks

2kSnakEater
01-12-2007, 04:23 PM
buy my GTS ;)

Il work with you on the price,

thanks for joining

T-spoon
01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Aside from the mileage option A is really a steal for that price. If the engine is running strong with good compression and no leaking, I wouldn't see any reason to think it's going to die if it continued to receive good care. Now, if she skipped an oil change or two, that could definitely facilitate earlier failure of course, and if the compression is NOT good and/or it is leaking oil, then it may have extra wear on the internals. If the transmission is smooth, no real worries there since it's 5spd. I would consider the auction car much more of a gambol than the high mileage one.

2kSnakEater
01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I would think A with almost 300k miles would be nuts, components do wear and I could only imagine what the main bearings and rod bearings would look like on a 300k mile car. Also he replaced the timing belt, but did he replace the oil pump and water pump while he was in there? and at that milage wheel bearings are a thing to look into replacing, they arent expensive but are a pain to change.

Colossus20v
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I would buy A because it is newer. Even though it is a lot of miles, they are highway miles. Sounds like he took care of the car and that goes a long way as well. If they are priced around the same I would buy A.

burnyd
01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
I have a 94 celica st that gets 35 mpg I might just let go for 2500.

2kSnakEater
01-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Ajilon is the proud new owner of a 1990 Celica GTS, I hope you keep us in mind when ever you have any questions about it or your beautifull 88 GT vert.

Im calling around to see what favors I can pull to get someone to drive to Tallahassee

hobbie2k
01-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I would go for A, but I'd make sure to give it a thurough inspection and make sure to get a compression test.

2kSnakEater
01-12-2007, 06:56 PM
(A) has been sold, she is going with option C - 1990 Celica GTS

Ajilon
01-12-2007, 06:58 PM
What can I say Snake. you're a great salesman! Plus I can yell at you when something goes wrong ;)

Getting a car from Tampa, FL to Birmingham, AL seems to be a good challenge.
I hate obstacles but I always get what I want.

You'll see me around here a good bit. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll introduce everyone to my baby (88 convert.). She's been totally redone. It took me 4 months to rebuild that engine but was it ever worth it.

Gina

2kSnakEater
01-12-2007, 07:06 PM
If anything goes wrong I will try to help you in any way I can, If I cant I know somebody on this board will. Celica Tech is the best Celica Site you can posibly join.

Fuelish
01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Celica Tech is the best Celica Site you can posibly join. :cool: INDEED !!! :COOL

Ajilon
01-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok. Here's my baby. You guys can probably see why I don't want to hand this car over to a 16 year old.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/ajilon_photos/psohn1.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/ajilon_photos/psohn5.jpg

Colossus20v
01-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok. Here's my baby. You guys can probably see why I don't want to hand this car over to a 16 year old.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/ajilon_photos/psohn1.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/ajilon_photos/psohn5.jpg
:eek: :happyrun: :yum: :drool:

Nice 4th gen.

davmac
01-12-2007, 11:13 PM
:eek: :happyrun: :yum: :drool:

Nice 4th gen.
+2

KoreanJoey
01-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Wow... that's really shiny...

alltracman78
01-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Wow.

That is beautiful......
One of the nicest 4th gens I have EVER seen.
One of the nicest Celicas period I have seen.......

How much did you do yourself?

Ajilon
01-13-2007, 08:59 PM
damn near all of it but with ALOT of help, advice and input from a close friend of mine. Bear in mind that I'm female (and a petite one at that), so I can't necessarily do as much as I'd like own my own. I did acquire the factory service manual, factory electrical manual and the factory electrical diagram before I even started. THAT HELPS! It was a learning process and one I had a blast with though.

Everything I've done is listed in my garage here. I'm sure there's more details that I left out. It's been a work in progress for several years but I'm finished now (year right). Within the next few days (when time permits) I'll take some pix of the interior. It's the newest thing that was replaced. The only thing I have to do (again) is replace the top. It was slashed at the mall (shocking). It's been patched but it's not the same. Locating another targa top might be interesting.

4thgenceli
01-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Goddamnit.

Anybody have a spooge-free keyboard?

90celicaGTX
01-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Goddamnit.

Anybody have a spooge-free keyboard?

WTF hahaha..

yea i definately wouldnt let a 16yr drive that.

give her a slow car...
like a Honda..

Ajilon
01-14-2007, 04:33 AM
WTF hahaha..

yea i definately wouldnt let a 16yr drive that.

give her a slow car...
like a Honda..

LOL. I have to live with her AND I have to maintain my "cool mom" status. :cool:

With that being said, Snake is selling me his '90 GTS. We've already made arrangements to meet in Tallahassee this Saturday to do the exchange. I don't know about you guys, but driving 5 hours to sell someone your car is pretty friggin awesome! I live about 10 hours from him and I'm working with limited funding. With an out of state title transfer, tags, taxes and ad velorem tax, shipping the car wasn't doable. Toss in there insurance on a 16 y/o at that!

I think I'll just stroll into the DMV with a tube of KY and bend over. The end result in this state is equivilent.

I'd give it to her if he sold me his All trac though :D

Ajilon