PDA

View Full Version : 92 Celica Convertible to Hard Top

puretone
01-11-2007, 08:40 PM
hey guys....so sad part first, my convertible got cut into and the stereo stolen....together with the little slot under the stereo....and much much worse they took the cupholders too!!!! :brick:

okay so i felt like true sh*t, it was only a toyota/pioneer stereo and totally not worth all the cutting and wrecking they did to my dash.

SO, i'm thinking about building/fibre'ing a hardtop or perhaps targa-top like the supra/mr2 had.

Im researching all this now, trying to gather as much info as i can, looking for you guyses help, looking to see if a miata hard top could be modifyable to suit my needs.....im kinda stuck at what rear-window i should use...etc

any help/info/suggestions you guys can offer i would HIGHly appreciate!

Disco Dan
01-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Ya know, I've thought about this more than a few times.

I've gone about it (in my head) a couple of different ways, but I always run into the same problems.

The Convertible, from the top of the doors down, is pretty similar (though not EXACTLY the same) as the coupe. Consequently, the hard top that would look like it fit the best, would be the roof from a coupe, cut where needed, and fit onto the convertible roof bows. However, that then creates two problems:

a.) The weight of the hard-top roof components would be a bit much for the convertible mechanism to lift, and

b.) The hard top would most likely be too bulky to fold into the compartment behind the rear seats.

Regardless, if you want the best fit when it's closed, using the shape of the stock coupe for your mold would be the best bet. In addition, you'll probably want to have the joints match up with the joints in the Convertible bows, so that you could utilize the same weather stripping, hinges, and other convertible parts.

As for the rear window (I believe they call it the "backlight") I would look into the rear window that was used in either the 6th generation convertibles or the 3rd generation convertibles, as they were both glass and had the defogger feature.

Granted, if you go through with it, who knows how much it'll end up costing in the end. You can get a new top with backlight for less than $400 like this one:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290069726968

Dunno. If you do it the hard-top route, you'll be out of a car for quite some time, though replacing the top with another isn't exactly lightning quick either, but it could be done in a day.

puretone
01-12-2007, 02:52 AM
i am shooting for a hardtop that is removable (or perhaps not) but not one that folds like the convertible top. Just solid with maybe the ability to take out the roof panels to give it that supra mk4 targa roof look.
i am looking into adding a bit of a roll cage too....BEAMS engine, build the engine up with forged everything, a turbo kit in the near future all make me feel like i could use a bit of a cage....which would also stiffen the whole rig up....

so yeah im thinking fibre glass like 3 layers and two layers carbon fibre....just that i need to figure out what window to use in the back.....

i would of course be driving with the top folded down while the custom made hardtop is on.

why do i have a feeling im gonna get quite a number of inquiries about this if i do succesfully fab one? :)

Cavanagh
01-12-2007, 05:19 AM
Damn, im sorry to hear that, but thinking, it could be alot worse then just a cloth top messed up and a ghetto ass stereo they will get no money for... Best of luck on your hardtop project.

PhillyDRFT
01-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Look into the construction of the hardtops for Mitata's they might give you a few new ideas for what you are trying to do. I would make an armature (wire skeleton) to lay new fiberglass on top of. It will be a much cleaner job than actually chopping roofs and C pilers from other celicas. Then you can build fiberglass or use metal supports underneeth. You'll save a lot of weight, time and money doing it this way. If you really plan to do it. take a lot of pics, post them up and If you have questions or need help on anything PM me.

puretone
01-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Look into the construction of the hardtops for Mitata's they might give you a few new ideas for what you are trying to do. I would make an armature (wire skeleton) to lay new fiberglass on top of. It will be a much cleaner job than actually chopping roofs and C pilers from other celicas. Then you can build fiberglass or use metal supports underneeth. You'll save a lot of weight, time and money doing it this way. If you really plan to do it. take a lot of pics, post them up and If you have questions or need help on anything PM me.

exactly what i am thinking of doing.....when i last replaced the top i should have just gone ahead and made the whole frame for it....laziness is a b*tch
im gonna goop the cut for now....i could probably just lay the wire frame over it now and start fibre'ing

any of you guys got any suggestiong on what materials to use for making the frame?