PDA

View Full Version : I'm a retard...

Chris
01-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Hopefully this title will attract attention. I was outside sitting in my car, and had the door open. Near the side of the road is some high level grass and dirt, my door was stuck there (this I did not know).

The car was off, I pulled the car out of first gear and let out on the e-brake, car starts moving. I throw on e-brake, but not before door that was caught on said grass is jammed far forward. Hinge like thing in the middle of the door is broken, the door is still being held on by the two large hinges, electronics and door sensor seem to work, no idea if the door hinges are damaged. I can't open the door, it's jammed far enough that the metal is pressed up against the fender, so I have to either squeeze through when I can open the door just enough (120 lbs body ftw), or if the windows down, enter the car NASCAR style.

Tomorrow I'm gonna have to grab my haynes manual and find some way to reach the bolts, and take the door off so I can adjust it where it's not that far forward. Anything I should know when I do this, or any ideas on how not to damage the metal when I try and pry open the door? Am I even going about this right? Thanks for any replies.

(no need to ask how stupid I am or post owned smilies, I've mulled over this enough)

2kSnakEater
01-10-2007, 04:08 AM
dont feel bad, I almost did that in my 84 Camaro but I caught it just in time that it didnt damage anything and it was the pass. side with the pole a basket ball hoop

Murgatroy
01-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I did that once. I was intoxicated though. I was sitting in the car with the door open, knocked it out of gear and hyperextended the door. It was a Fox Chassis Mustang, it tore that door up all to hell. Ripped the metal skin where it hit the hinges, etc...

On a good note though, I wasn't driving, I was just sitting there listening to the radio.

Chris
01-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, tomorrow my dad and I are going to try and fix the door. We'll try and carefully pry it open without damaging the metal, and do something about the hinges. They weren't broken, so there's hope. I have to get it working though, before Monday, when I move back into the dorms.

Glad to know I'm not the only person to do something like this, but damn, I sitll feel dumb. I could of saved myself a hell of a lot of trouble.

ciento44
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
My buddy's sister did this to her brand new Jetta a couple years ago, the day she got it.

She was washing it or something in the driveway, had the door open, and decided it would be a bright idea to back it up the driveway with the door open. Got kinda close to a tree, and literally put the door flat to the front driver's fender.

We lol'd after she stopped threatening to kill us.

Hookecho
01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
i remember a time when my friend and i were riding around in a nissan stanza i had just bought. he wanted to drive so i stopped and got out. i was standing behind the open door when he decided to climb into the drivers seat and use the gear shift to hold onto while doing so. just as he was sliding over the shifter slid in reverse and at the same time his foot tapped the accelerator. next thing i know i'm on the ground and the door is slapping the fender.......good times.

Chris
01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
i remember a time when my friend and i were riding around in a nissan stanza i had just bought. he wanted to drive so i stopped and got out. i was standing behind the open door when he decided to climb into the drivers seat and use the gear shift to hold onto while doing so. just as he was sliding over the shifter slid in reverse and at the same time his foot tapped the accelerator. next thing i know i'm on the ground and the door is slapping the fender.......good times.

That's one of those things that laugh, and then pisses you off.

I took it to the dealership, since my dad had talked to the guy in charge of auto body (he's taking his Durango in for work next week) and they got the door moved back and functioning. There's some paint damage (scraped off to the bare metal, any ideas on how to keep that from rusting) and a small dent, but nothing horrid, the door still works. Life goes on.

But to put out suggestions, I don't need any more rust spots.

T-spoon
01-10-2007, 06:28 PM
The little thingy in the middle is the door check, btw, amusingly enough the piece that stops the door from opening too far.. course.. since it broke.. the door went ahead and opened too far :hehe:

Hookecho
01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
for the area with the paint scrape just sand it and spray some primer on it.

Chris
01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
The little thingy in the middle is the door check, btw, amusingly enough the piece that stops the door from opening too far.. course.. since it broke.. the door went ahead and opened too far :hehe:

I noticed. When the car started moving I was in no hurry to pull up my e-brake.

"Oh, the car's moving... what was that loud cra...omgwtf my door (yanks hard on e-brake)"

(looks at door dug in grass)

"...fuck."

The crack turned out to be that safety mechanism. Go figure.

Is there any way I can protect it without sanding it and putting primer on there? Like maybe some of that pen body paint from wal-mart and clear coat?

Fuelish
01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
that sux !!! My older brother did something similar to my parents' '57 Chevy back in the '70's .... 'xceptin' he was with buddies and was backing it up to talk to some young ladies, and the passenger door was open and got severely overextended when he caught a telephone pole with it. He got the door closed, but it never opened again...LOL. They sold it that fall....was a shame, as the car was nearly perfect, otherwise......I like the '57's... :(
Hopefully this title will attract attention. I was outside sitting in my car, and had the door open. Near the side of the road is some high level grass and dirt, my door was stuck there (this I did not know).

The car was off, I pulled the car out of first gear and let out on the e-brake, car starts moving. I throw on e-brake, but not before door that was caught on said grass is jammed far forward. Hinge like thing in the middle of the door is broken, the door is still being held on by the two large hinges, electronics and door sensor seem to work, no idea if the door hinges are damaged. I can't open the door, it's jammed far enough that the metal is pressed up against the fender, so I have to either squeeze through when I can open the door just enough (120 lbs body ftw), or if the windows down, enter the car NASCAR style.

Tomorrow I'm gonna have to grab my haynes manual and find some way to reach the bolts, and take the door off so I can adjust it where it's not that far forward. Anything I should know when I do this, or any ideas on how not to damage the metal when I try and pry open the door? Am I even going about this right? Thanks for any replies.

(no need to ask how stupid I am or post owned smilies, I've mulled over this enough)

KotahGTS
01-12-2007, 01:53 AM
lol, my mom and sister where out one day and she nearly took out my mom AND the door. my mom had her door open and my sister tried to back into the spot next to her. she caught the door and kept going. my mom tried to tell her to stop, but apparently she was distracted. eventually she realized that she was taking the door with her, but by that time, there was a ton of pressure built up. so it slid loose of her bumper and snapped back on my mom. luckily she had the window open so it when higher up on her shoulder, and her arm didn't break the window.

85gtsblackman
01-12-2007, 02:29 AM
in the words of the almighty Fred G Sanford....

http://store.urbanprofile.com/image.php?productid=19765