PDA

View Full Version : Total noob. My apologies.

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 08:18 AM
My name is Alicia. I'm 21, from Levittown, PA. PhillyDRFT introduced me slowly to the forum, and I thought it time to show my face, say hello, and start the learning process. I never had a car I could trully say I loved until I fought to get my 90 GT-S. I went all the way to NY to look at another Celica, but they tried to screw me. So I found this one, and the man who sold it to me was kind enough to lower the price due to some financial issues in my family. I was lucky to get this car. It's an automatic, but I'm hoping it won't be for long. In the past I've had a 94 Plymouth Acclaim, and a 95 Jeep Cherokee. They both did their jobs and got me where I needed to get to,which is more than I can say for my Celica (so far!) but there is great potential. It's noisy (thanks to an aftermarket exhaust [came with the car]), it vibrates quite a bit, the sunroof leaks, the door light stays on most of the time, the battery never wants to stay connected, and I can't get gas without the alarm going off, but it's wonderful in all it's problematic glory. It's been through a bit of a tough time in the 2 months since I got it, including an egging and a flat tire, but that comes with the territory of the area. lol. Anyway, I hate to admit that when it comes to most of the things talked about in here, I am relatively clueless. I'm not really a girly girl, but I've never had the option to work with cars. I've always been a reader so I am hoping to figure some things out as I go along. I'll try to keep the annoying questions to a minimum. lol. But I am ready to put some work into my new car, get down and dirty, so that I can say I honestly put in an effort. I put some pictures in my garage. The previous owner took those pics but I am hoping to get nicer pictures when the weather clears up.

mtp_69_i
01-06-2007, 08:22 AM
welcome to c-tech Alicia. does the car vibrate all the time or only when moving? It could just need a simple wheel balance.

Also, some new battery terminal connections should solve the battery issue.

I have no idea about the alarm one though, that's pretty weird...

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the welcome. It vibrates ALL the time, but it has a high idle so it doesn't bother me too much when I first start it. I was told that the exhaust could be a big part of the vibration problem. You can hear me coming from a block away, lol. The battery problem was confusing at first. When I opened my doors the lights would come on but when I went to start it the power would go completely out. It took almost a week to figure out what was going on with it, mostly out of shear laziness. But we figured that the door light being constantly on killed the battery, and then jumping it creatd the loose connection. I'm hoping that thats the first thing that I take care of.The alarm didn't start to go haywire until the battery died in the first place, so I'm stumped on that one. lol

burnyd
01-06-2007, 09:20 AM
welcome to ctech.. let me introduce myself as ctechs #1 most eligable bachelor. I also live in PA if you want your cars to get you were you need to go I am most likely not to far away... hit me up on aim I will give you the mapquest!

kthanksbye

KoreanJoey
01-06-2007, 09:51 AM
welcome to ctech.. let me introduce myself as ctechs #1 most eligable bachelor. I also live in PA if you want your cars to get you were you need to go I am most likely not to far away... hit me up on aim I will give you the mapquest!

kthanksbye

... :wedge: :slap:

Anyways, you say you've got a high idle? Is that even after the car is warmed up?

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 10:00 AM
well hello to the both of you. and the high idle lasts for a while when i start it, but even after i drive it and put it in park it will stay that way for almost a minute or so. not too long.

Tristan
01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
i would check the IAC ( IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE) for blockage. Sometimes a simple bit of trash in it will cause a high idle.

Tris

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 11:09 AM
i don't really know how to do that, lol. told you i'm a noob. but i'll look into it. thanks!

Hookecho
01-06-2007, 03:27 PM
welcome to c-tech. you'll get all the help you need here. it's cool when girls show interest in cars.

hobbie2k
01-06-2007, 03:48 PM
welcome to c-tech. you'll get all the help you need here. it's cool when girls show interest in cars.

ditto

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
thanks guys, 'cause so far, it's looking like i'll need quite a bit of help. lol

ciento44
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Y hello thar Alicia :)

Pics of the GT-S?

Does the idle move up and down at all? Or does it just sit at the higher RPM?

PhillyDRFT
01-06-2007, 08:06 PM

kthanksbye

Damn Burnsey... I leave you alone for 10 minutes and your all over my girlfriend! :lolhittin

The vibrations are the same as both of my other celicas. My opinion is worn out motor mounts, its all engine vibration not misfire.

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 08:06 PM
and hello to you, too! i put 3 pics up in my garage, but i need to get some that i've taken. and the high idle relaxes itself anwhere between 5-10 minutes. i hope i'm understanding what you're asking me though. running on like 2 hours of sleep. lol

hey, you snuck that post in there, lol.

PhillyDRFT
01-06-2007, 08:13 PM

yeah I'm a post whore ^.^ and I still feel like shit. I hope I didn't get you sick!

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 08:15 PM
nah, if anything, i got you sick. it's been past due for me to fall into the arms of illness. i knew my luck had to wear off at one point.

alltracman78
01-06-2007, 08:31 PM
The vibrations are the same as both of my other celicas. My opinion is worn out motor mounts, its all engine vibration not misfire.

If it does it all the time, it is most likely this or just the engine running rough...

Your door light[s] on is most likely one of the door switches bad.
Usually the dr side, as it gets more use. It is the "button" on the doorjam.

What do you mean the battery won't stay connected?
Do you need to just replace the terminals?

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 08:35 PM
yeah, basically everything wrong with the car are small fixes. PhillyDRFT did a temp fix on the door one day just so we could be sure that the light wouldn't kill the battery while i was in work, but we need to make it a permanant fix. you were right about it being the drivers side door. as far as the battery goes, i believe replacing the terminals is what needs to be done. my biggest problem atm is the bi-polar alarm. some days it doesn't make a peep, and then at 4:30am it doesn't want to stop going off. lol

alltracman78
01-06-2007, 08:45 PM
You can cut it out.
It's under the dash. Drift should be able to find it.
Just cut out all the wiring from it.
You will probably need to reconnect the pwr wire going to the ignition solenoid.....

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 08:49 PM
i thought about taking it out, but that thought bothers me too. for some reason, someone doesn't like my car as much as i do, lol. so i fear they might decide to go a little extreme on it. so if i could fix the problem, instead of remove it, that would be the better of the options.

MCcelica
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Welcome welcome. Have you tried to track down the source of the vibration? Mine did for a while untill I realized that it was something in my passenger side door pocket. I moved it and no more vibrating noise! So for the idle, you say after about 10-15 minutes it calms down. How high does the idle sit once it calms down? As far as the Idle Speed Control valve goes, it's a pretty easy fix to start out with, but it takes a little while. There was a thread I started, I think it was called "Low Cold Idle" or something along those lines that basically covers that. Which brings me to one point that nobody here has outright said yet, if you have a question that you think may be a "little annoying" as you put it, try using the search function and see what you find first. Usually, if you don't find your specific problem, you can find something not related to your problem but could be good for later reference. But alas, if you have any questions failing that, don't hesitate to ask.

ciento44
01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
and hello to you, too! i put 3 pics up in my garage, but i need to get some that i've taken. and the high idle relaxes itself anwhere between 5-10 minutes. i hope i'm understanding what you're asking me though. running on like 2 hours of sleep. lol

Eh.... kinda...

I mean when it's idling weird, do the revs rise and fall constantly? Like... from 800-1500-800-1500 or something like that? Or does it hold steady, just high?

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome. my car vibrates a LOT. most of the time i am blaring my music becuase otherwise i couldn't hear it over the vibrations. and if you're sitting in the back, you might as well forget about participating in the conversation. as for the idle, it's more obnoxious than it is problematic, i believe. when DRFT and i discussed it, he didn't seem concerned. thanks for pointing out the search option, which i have been fiddling around with all night, lol. i've always been a reader, so i'm trying to take in everything. i didn't sleep much (at all) last night because i was poking around on here. i just don't understand a lot of the technical terms. so i have a feeling research is going to play a key role in all of this. thanks again!

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Eh.... kinda...

I mean when it's idling weird, do the revs rise and fall constantly? Like... from 800-1500-800-1500 or something like that? Or does it hold steady, just high?

ah, ok. i get it. no, it's constant. then when it decides to drop, it's not a drastic decline, more gradual.

ciento44
01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome. my car vibrates a LOT. most of the time i am blaring my music becuase otherwise i couldn't hear it over the vibrations. and if you're sitting in the back, you might as well forget about participating in the conversation. as for the idle, it's more obnoxious than it is problematic, i believe. when DRFT and i discussed it, he didn't seem concerned. thanks for pointing out the search option, which i have been fiddling around with all night, lol. i've always been a reader, so i'm trying to take in everything. i didn't sleep much (at all) last night because i was poking around on here. i just don't understand a lot of the technical terms. so i have a feeling research is going to play a key role in all of this. thanks again!

I almost wonder if the vibration is something a little more serious than engine mounts. CV joint? Wheel bearings? Could be a bad tire? Bent rim?

Engine mounts, at least in the hondas that i've driven with them shot, normally just makes the transmission feel weird, and the car be a bit jerky with hard throttle stabs, low rpms, and take-offs...

I know my mounts are probably nearing the end of their life, and it doesn't make any difference in noise while driving.

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Engine mounts, at least in the hondas that i've driven with them shot, normally just makes the transmission feel weird, and the car be a bit jerky with hard throttle stabs, low rpms, and take-offs...

sometimes it can be a bit jerky taking off, but nothing so bad to make me concerned. now when i had a transmission leakin my jeep, they were hard take offs. i had to slam on the gas pedal and hope i would move. lol

i'm a little strange with my worries sometimes, so i've been more worried about the vibrations making things on the inside fall apart. but if it could be something that would be more of a concern, i'll definately look into it. it just seems like there is a new noise every day.

but as far as it being a tire goes, some of it could be that. i have a spare on atm, and i did go over a speed bump pretty fast, but most of the noise isn't new.

ciento44
01-06-2007, 10:39 PM
sometimes it can be a bit jerky taking off, but nothing so bad to make me concerned. now when i had a transmission leakin my jeep, they were hard take offs. i had to slam on the gas pedal and hope i would move. lol

i'm a little strange with my worries sometimes, so i've been more worried about the vibrations making things on the inside fall apart. but if it could be something that would be more of a concern, i'll definately look into it. it just seems like there is a new noise every day.

but as far as it being a tire goes, some of it could be that. i have a spare on atm, and i did go over a speed bump pretty fast, but most of the noise isn't new.

How many miles are on it? Does it still seem to handle ok? Any clunks or anything?

KotahGTS
01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
about 147,000. there aren't any weird noises other than the vibrations. ok, one day i took a turn kind of hard and it sounded iffy for a while, but it seemed to get over it. it handles really well, just a little slow on the get up and go. sometimes it feels like its revving to high, but that could just be me. also it's a little shaky above 90mph. but again that could just be me since i never had a car that could go over 90 before. any thoughts?

alltracman78
01-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Ok, does it vibrate when the car is sitting still or only when it's moving?

PhillyDRFT
01-06-2007, 11:24 PM
The vibration im 95% sure is old engine mounts, both of my celicas did the exact same thing, the problem was solved by replacing them on my 91auto and filling them on the 91 5speed. It's not driving vibration from any of the suspension components. It's seen close to 100mph without problems, so it's not alignment or ballance.

The door light just needs a new switch it's the driver side. I have a spare one from my donor car. just been too busy to get to it yet.

The terminals are bad, they look like they were taken on and off too many times with the wrong size socket. there pretty rounded off and mangled.so the posetive cant be tightened enogh so sometimes it doesnt make a perfect connection.

The previous owner put an obnoxous fartcan on it, which adds to the vibration inside the car. All in all the car is in really good shape and she got a good price on it. Trust me, I checked thecar out before she bought it. I deff wouldent have let her bring something home that had a serious problem like joints. or drivability issues.

Edit: with the alarm, it's a factory alarm, so Im not sure how deeply rooted into the body harness to disable it, even as a temp solution. It's only 50$ at the dealer for them to program her a new remote so she can use the auto door locks and alarm so I think that's a better option. It going off all of the time seems that it's allways set to valet mode since the dead battery IE: Alarm arms itself every time thecar is turned off.

VikingJZ
01-07-2007, 08:05 PM
That's cute, we have a Ctech couple.

Aww.

Welcome to the boards!

MCcelica
01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I must have gotten mixed up here. Is it a vibrating noise, or and actuall shake the car vibration? I thought noise. Sorry.

PhillyDRFT
01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
That's cute, we have a Ctech couple.

Aww.

Welcome to the boards!

haha yeah but she actually has a WORKING celica :p so we don't drive around like twins or anything lol

KotahGTS
01-08-2007, 08:45 AM
i'm not going to put anymore info on the vibrations, because aparently i have been putting it all sorts of wrong, lol.

thank you for the welcome.

and you should fix your celica, 'cause the drivin around like twins thing sounds like fun. ;)

supra97
01-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Welcome! I'm really glad I saw this post because guess what...I'm a girl too. I just bought my 93 GT-S about 5 months ago and I am also an avid reader, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my car and fixing it up.

Mine has a vibration problem too, only it's when I'm accelerating between 80-100 kph. It doesn't do it when I hold speed or decelerate.

It also has a pulley with flared edges wearing down my timing belt on one side.

Other than that, just a few body issues. A dent in the left rear fender and paint chips in the front bumper.

90celicaGTX
01-22-2007, 08:29 PM
my welcomes....

my answer to all ur problems
swap it! make dat shit a 3s

its my solution to everything....
ur car prob. vibrate more.. but ill go faster..
ha.

Fuelish
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
My name is Alicia. I'm 21, from Levittown, PA. PhillyDRFT introduced me slowly to the forum, and I thought it time to show my face, say hello, and start the learning process. Welcome to celicatech, Kotah :) I grew up near you, in Bristol PA ("cut my driving teeth" on a '75 Celica back in the '70's/'80's (moved to MI in '90, now living it up in east Tenn :cool: ) Lots o' good folks and good advice here !!!

KotahGTS
01-23-2007, 08:40 PM
wow this thread got dug up a bit, lol. thanks for the new welcomes, and supra welcome to ctech. we should talk amongst ourselves in girly talk about our cars. lol

fuelish- you are a smart one for moving. and not coming back. i had my escape to florida, but somehow i returned here. lol. if you ever come back for a visit, look me up.

supra97
01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah we can compare notes on all that we learn.

How's your vibration issue coming along? Or is it fixed...didn't read up that far.

KotahGTS
01-26-2007, 04:42 AM
it's still vibrating, but once it gets nicer out we'll go and fix what needs to be. it's too cold to do much of anything on my car. it's also been running rich which is driving me nuts, but we'll figure that out too. i hate the winter. lol

85gtsblackman
01-26-2007, 05:14 AM
hello im the resident black man

enjoy :hehe:

Dan3312
01-26-2007, 02:01 PM
The alarm going off could have something to dowith the loose terminals on the battery. I know on my mom's VW if the battery dies or if you replace the battery once you reconnect it the alarm goes off. Just a though.
Welcome to Ctech

supra97
01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
it's still vibrating, but once it gets nicer out we'll go and fix what needs to be. it's too cold to do much of anything on my car. it's also been running rich which is driving me nuts, but we'll figure that out too. i hate the winter. lol
Tell me about it. Can't wash or wax your car (well you can..but it's pretty pointless if there's rain or snow or just salt on the roads.

It's too cold to be outside doing much too, at least on clear days.

elektrateq
01-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Girls and their bras...

schmooot
02-02-2007, 02:31 AM
you can start by actually showing your face

remember the ump code...

upload pics
make thread
???
profit