PDA

View Full Version : And the new car will be.....

ty_44_69
01-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Trying to decide here, having a hard time.
Pretty sure it will be one of these just not sure, it's kinda funny because the price goes from resonable to ridiculous, but I need a car for the road, I drive 3-4 times a week on the highway for 4 hrs or more.

Obviously you can jump out and say ohh that one, but it's hard decision deciding if I do want to spend that much money or not, enough talk

Toyota Celica GT-S 2000-2004 Most likely get

Lexus IS350 2006 Most expensive, but it would pay for itself

Infinity G35 coupe Good looks, good power, reliability?

weigh in with your thoughts.

mtp_69_i
01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
the lexus.

or an EVO VIII :pron:

what are the relative prices?

T-spoon
01-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Hmm, if the IS rides like the rest of the Lexus lines, it's by far what I'd want to sit in for hours at a time on the freeway. Go-fast doesn't matter much, you have the MR2 to play with, so go for ride quality/comfort.

TEAMFaint
01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
the lexus.

or an EVO VIII :pron:

what are the relative prices?

Cant get Evo's up here in Canada...yet..

LoKi The Infidel
01-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Cant get Evo's up here in Canada...yet..
soon! i hope...

'90 CeLicA Aus
01-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Get the STi, man that shit is sick!!!

Azzazzyn
01-04-2007, 11:35 PM
g35 are buttsecks heaven

DarkSideCelica
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
will this be ur DD or only car? i like the IS cos it has 4 dorrs and buttload of power

85gtsblackman
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
subaru ftw

the 7th gen is the least reliable celica out of all the generations ever produced

and they are un toyota like meaning they are fragile or anything with a 2zz, i worked at toyota ive seen these things come in for all sorts of engine failures/problems/ and the autos had issues as well

put it sadly the tiburon is a more reliable car :(

subarus have a good life span, usally see over 200k even turbo models, and the engine thats in the regular wrx and sti have both been in production for awhile

after i get everything settled and situated , i plan to get a used 02-04 wrx myself as a daily, or a 99-01 2.5rs 2dr if i can find one, and yes i will still have the 3rd gen , gotta keep rwd, and im in the process of saying bye to the maxima

Rix86
01-05-2007, 12:24 AM
lexus.

hobbie2k
01-05-2007, 04:33 AM
Lexus for a DD, comfortable and fast in straight line.

G35 for a good compromise between everyday comfort and occasional sportiness. Plus there's a huge aftermarket for it.

The STi will be fun for a while, but after a few long trips the hard ride will probably start to get annoying. There is a more civilised version of the STi, though, with the softer WRX suspension, smaller wing, more comfort features...almost as fast.

redpunk
01-05-2007, 04:38 AM
those all are nice cars but i have a 2002 celica gt-s i am loving it... thats nice car for daily drivng and also racing so that was just my choice month ago...

PhillyDRFT
01-05-2007, 06:52 AM
My vote is going to go for the Lexus since you already have the MR2 if you feel like something sporty, and its got enough go to still be a fun drive.

On the subaru note. Have you looked into the legacy 2.5GT's? There a little less HP than the STI but the same boxer style turbo engine. I used to work at ReedmanToll Autoworld its one of the bigest dealers on the east coast and I got a chance myself to drive both the STI and the Legacy turbo (05 legacy , 06 STI) against each other. on the same test track at work, and I preferred the legacy hands down. A much smother power band, wider wheelbase. Don't get me wrong the STI is still "a whole other beast" but on a broader scale the legacy is just as worthy of a contender. The interior feels much more comfortable than the STI, not to mention IMO the STI interior feels really cheep and the blue I can see feeling tacky after a wile if its your DD. On your swing by the dealer definitely test drive one and see for yourself. If subaru rubs you the rite way when you decide to buy.

mtp_69_i
01-05-2007, 07:50 AM
My vote is going to go for the Lexus since you already have the MR2 if you feel like something sporty, and its got enough go to still be a fun drive.

On the subaru note. Have you looked into the legacy 2.5GT's? There a little less HP than the STI but the same boxer style turbo engine. I used to work at ReedmanToll Autoworld its one of the bigest dealers on the east coast and I got a chance myself to drive both the STI and the Legacy turbo (05 legacy , 06 STI) against each other. on the same test track at work, and I preferred the legacy hands down. A much smother power band, wider wheelbase. Don't get me wrong the STI is still "a whole other beast" but on a broader scale the legacy is just as worthy of a contender. The interior feels much more comfortable than the STI, not to mention IMO the STI interior feels really cheep and the blue I can see feeling tacky after a wile if its your DD. On your swing by the dealer definitely test drive one and see for yourself. If subaru rubs you the rite way when you decide to buy.

nice post man :bigthumbu

Cavanagh
01-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Hmm, if the IS rides like the rest of the Lexus lines, it's by far what I'd want to sit in for hours at a time on the freeway. Go-fast doesn't matter much, you have the MR2 to play with, so go for ride quality/comfort.
+1 I agree

To me, i dont think an STI or 7th gen would be as comfy as the IS350, which will be good since you will be in the car for 4+ hrs.

lburner
01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
G35 all day

Morwan
01-05-2007, 05:39 PM
IS350 or the G35 is going to be the best on that list. I wouldn't worry about reliability for the G35, the VQ design has been around for years and I've never heard of any reliability issues with them.

Try looking for a Legacy GT Spec B. It's a great cruiser comes with a detuned version of the STi motor and a 6-speed trans, it'll hang with the IS350 for 10k less. There's also the MazdaSpeed6, which is another great AWD turbo cruiser like the Legacy GT, comes with 270 hp and a 6-speed transmission. They aren't selling too well and people have been getting them for 20-25k off the lot.

ty_44_69
01-05-2007, 05:52 PM
From what everyone has said I took the Subaru off the list! That would be the only Subaru I would want, and the only reason I liked it really was because of what it is, I would rather stay Toyota, Lexus, or outside shot on the Infiinity.
Really not sure how the Infinity is for reliability, and comfort, I like the sportiness with luxury though. The real concern as mentioned is reliability, my friends uncle had one (2002) and in 05 he traded it in after he had factory warranty cover the drive train problems it was having.

hobbie2k
01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I haven't heard much about reliability issues with the G35s, particularly in the drivetrain, but the early 2000s were a period of severe cost-cutting at Nissan and quality did suffer. On the other hand, the drivetrain has been around for a while and is used in many different models so most of the bugs should be worked out.

Are you looking at a new G35 or a used one? Between a new G35 coupe and a new IS350 I'd pick the IS just because it will be more comfortable for longer drives. But if it's a choice between a lightly used G35 and a new IS, go for the G35. You'll save thousands (more than enough to cover any reliability issues), it should last about as long, and if you go for one without the bigger wheels it should be plenty comfortable.

BTW - the IS350 doesn't offer a manual tranny...I don't think...

ciento44
01-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Dude.... the choice is simple... :P

Saab 9-3 Viggen. :)

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/8540/93viggen3ombqd8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Slider
01-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Have you thought about the IS300? It will be cheaper and everyone that has one seems to love it. It would make a great daily driver.

ty_44_69
01-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Ya I thought of the IS300 but then I got thinking ohhh booo. FWD, a car that never really excited anyone, and most importantly if I am getting Lexus, and getting IS......then if it's not 350puresex, then I'm not getting it haah.

So up here in Canada in autotrader.ca
I have found the price ranges of the vehicles, the range I will be looking is listed below, and they would all be used.
IS350 $43k - $50k

G35 $29k - $35k

Celica $15k - $20k
The reason the limits is obvious...would I rather spend $24k on a Celica or go up 5k more for a G35, or $40k for a G35 or $43k for an IS350.
If it's a G35 or Celica it has to be manual, IS350 I could live with auto.

mtp_69_i
01-06-2007, 12:41 AM
.... There's also the MazdaSpeed6, which is another great AWD turbo cruiser like the Legacy GT, comes with 270 hp and a 6-speed transmission. They aren't selling too well and people have been getting them for 20-25k off the lot.

hell yes! We also have this car, it's called the MPS6 here and it freaking rocks.

There is also the MPS3 which is only front wheel drive BUT pumps out 190kw on a 2.3L (i think) motor + turbo. It has crazy traction control, torque steer control etc etc gadgetry to keep it in a straight line. comes standard with all the goodies; nice suspension 18 inch wheels, leather trim etc etc. If I had AUD$45K I'd certainly consider buying this car.

hobbie2k
01-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Ya I thought of the IS300 but then I got thinking ohhh booo. FWD, a car that never really excited anyone, and most importantly if I am getting Lexus, and getting IS......then if it's not 350puresex, then I'm not getting it haah.

The IS300 is RWD, maybe you're thinking of the ES300...

btw - Viggen = torque steer x 100

Slider
01-06-2007, 09:12 AM

The IS300 is RWD. I think you were thinking of the luxury version of the Avalon/Camry the ES300 as hobbie said. It's older but it's still a great car, it has less power than a IS350 but it handles better, it also comes in manual. Just throwing it out there as a consideration.

ty_44_69
01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
hmmmm I was always under the impression IS300 was FWD. I just went on the trader, and half of the cars are listed as FWD and the other half RWD hmm..odd. Didn't know they offered both platforms for the IS300.
It definately is a nice car, and better suitable to the price range I should be looking in. There are a lot of Celica's posted for the same price as the IS300 with the same amount of km's and such. Which would you rather have between the two?

ciento44
01-06-2007, 05:42 PM
hmmmm I was always under the impression IS300 was FWD. I just went on the trader, and half of the cars are listed as FWD and the other half RWD hmm..odd. Didn't know they offered both platforms for the IS300.
It definately is a nice car, and better suitable to the price range I should be looking in. There are a lot of Celica's posted for the same price as the IS300 with the same amount of km's and such. Which would you rather have between the two?

IS300, hands freaking down.

Awesome interior, smooth as hell, you can get them in manual, they're RWD, and if the upgrade bug bites you in a big way, you can chuck a 2jzgte in there and go stomp some big buck sports cars. :)

But... i'm always partial to gobs of torque steer. Soo... considering you can get a mint 9-3 Viggen for $12-14k, my vote still goes there. There's one on Ebay right now with the Nordic package that really wakes the car up, makes it a serious roll-on monster, for only $16k.

But... i also have an obsession with cars that make me feel like i'm hanging on for dear life when you stomp on them. Dunno why. I just like driving raw, untamed, balls out cars. (I think that's why i like my buddy's neon so much... it scares the shit out of me.)

hobbie2k
01-06-2007, 09:03 PM
IS300 is only RWD, it's not uncommon for me to see people getting platforms wrong on Autotrader and elsewhere. It's amazing how many people don't know anything about the cars they are selling. That why it's up to you as a buyer to know what you're looking at.

ty_44_69
01-06-2007, 09:54 PM
^ haha ya I just always thought it was FWD and that was one of it's knocks, and reasons they had a hard time selling them. Nice to know they are all RWD.

ciento44
01-06-2007, 10:01 PM
^ haha ya I just always thought it was FWD and that was one of it's knocks, and reasons they had a hard time selling them. Nice to know they are all RWD.

They had a hard time selling them because they were marketed directly against the BMW 3-series if i remember correctly, and just really didn't quite make it.

ty_44_69
01-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Well I think I have been convinced the IS300 would be the all around best car for myself.
I can get one for the same price I can get a newer celica approx. $25k.
RWD, all around finish, great comfort, resonable power, Lexus reliability, Lexus service, 4dr. which will be nice and I won't have to sell it again in the near future because it's "not practical", great bang for your buck.
Now there are a couple things I'm not sure of but I'm looking into:
-I believe it's an inline six?
-gas mileage
-I would rather have stick shift but I'm looking into that. Only has a 5spd I believe, I would like a 6 for the highway but beggers can't be choosers

85gtsblackman
01-07-2007, 06:38 AM
subaru forester xt ftw :hehe:

ciento44
01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Well I think I have been convinced the IS300 would be the all around best car for myself.
I can get one for the same price I can get a newer celica approx. $25k.
RWD, all around finish, great comfort, resonable power, Lexus reliability, Lexus service, 4dr. which will be nice and I won't have to sell it again in the near future because it's "not practical", great bang for your buck.
Now there are a couple things I'm not sure of but I'm looking into:
-I believe it's an inline six?
-gas mileage
-I would rather have stick shift but I'm looking into that. Only has a 5spd I believe, I would like a 6 for the highway but beggers can't be choosers

3.0 litre inline DOHC 6.

Gas mileage is decent. I would expect low to mid 20s around town, high 20s on the highway.

And yes, i believe it's 5-speed only.

ty_44_69
01-08-2007, 02:24 AM
no there are many auto's available, unless they don't know that about the car when they listed it to lmao.

Cavanagh
01-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Nah, theres autos, but deffinatley get a IS300 5 Speed. MMMMM

Saab Viggen :puke:

ciento44
01-08-2007, 07:33 AM
no there are many auto's available, unless they don't know that about the car when they listed it to lmao.

Oops, i meant 5-speed only, rather than 6-speed manual.

I know that they came in auto. :P