PDA

View Full Version : mr2 turbo vs celica all-trac

zmile06
01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I just picked up a job that is going to increase my par rate by a LARGE margin. And i have always wanted to own either an all-trac or mr2 turbo.

What is the fastest celica all-trac you have seen with a un-opened engine.

I want to know everyones feedback, im sure a post has already been made about this but i would really like fresh feedback.

2kSnakEater
01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
oh no! not this thread again, lol

2kSnakEater
01-04-2007, 12:27 AM
ok, both have Go-Kart like handeling but:

get the MR2 if you want all out power and balls to the wall speed and dont care about a back seat, trunk, or nut space.

get the All-Trac if you dont mind the F-Body like weight and slighly slower than the MR2 BUT for what you give up in speed you get back in space, confort, and a place to put your crap in the trunk.

I would own both, DD the MR2 and take the All-Trac out on a nice day.

burnyd
01-04-2007, 12:28 AM
this thread again :(... look up threads started by ricksta.. theres a mr2 vs altrac one.

2kSnakEater
01-04-2007, 12:30 AM
your name is Zmile06, get a Z06 to match the name.

zmile06
01-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Haha... Anyways im 6'1 240 and drive a lowerd 5th gen celica and i find it VERY comfortable. I have been a mr2 turbo and i dont feel uncomfortable in it at all.

How slow is the all-trac compared to the mr2?

And im a hardcore import lover, nothing agienst f-bodies at all. If i was to own a f-body it would be a older one not a new one.

T-spoon
01-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Haha... Anyways im 6'1 240 and drive a lowerd 5th gen celica and i find it VERY comfortable. I have been a mr2 turbo and i dont feel uncomfortable in it at all.

And im a hardcore import lover, nothing agienst f-bodies at all. If i was to own a f-body it would be a older one not a new one.

I've owned both. They're so different there is no good answer to this other than to find out what you want out of a car. I have a MKIII Supra now. When I get the money for it, I will own an Alltrac, an MR2 and the Supra at once because I'm not satisfied with each one for everything I want because they're all so different.

This is of course my opinion based on my experiences, and everyone is entitled to their own. :)

ciento44
01-04-2007, 01:10 AM
I hate to say this... well, not really...

But if you already have something that you can drive when it gets shitty out, just go with the MR2. The 300-350rwhp that you can get without opening the engine will be plenty to scare the shit out of you initially, and i've driven very few vehicles that felt as awesome in the handling aspect as this car.

Alltrac = fat, luxurious, awesome all-around car, with fairly close to the same performance potential, anddddddd not quite as sexy, imo. :P

ciento44
01-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Stock AllTracs are balls slow....

Like... 15.5 quarter mile. We'll need input from Burnyd to see what he ran in his MR2 on stock CT26 turbo....

Idiot Stick
01-04-2007, 01:22 AM
What about an St205?

In a few years they WILL be importable.

trah
01-04-2007, 02:43 AM
What about an St205?

In a few years they WILL be importable.

you gotta stop talking about cars we cant get here in the states and start comparing with what we have to work with here. Sure we can get our hands on a St215 like ME :D but thats not that fact. 88-89 all trac seems to be the lightest of all ALLTRAC/GT4 (maybe couple hundred lbs) and when swapped with 2nd gen 3sgte i ran high 14's low 15's with only a gutted/Aussy Cat. MR2 3sgte runs i think the same as well. I rather be comfy with a back seat so i can LEAN BACK more. either way its way 2 hard to find a alltrac these days. Went to a junkyard here in dallas TX and i saw a 92 ALLTRAC CRUSHED I WAS LIKE WTF I NEEDED PARTS then the guys says u shoulda came at 6am :slap: MR2's are more abundant and you can find them in NA or Turbo'ed or get a NA and swap a MR2 3sgte. I rather get a 90 honda accord thats 4wd (they made it but wagon style lol :smokin: ) I say this because when i got my Alltrac I've been putting ALOT of $ into it. HELL ALL TOYOTA PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE and HARD to FInd

trah
01-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Alltrac = fat, luxurious, awesome all-around car, with fairly close to the same performance potential, anddddddd not quite as sexy, imo. :P[/QUOTE]

the 88-89 Alltrac Hatchbacks Are really SEXY driving the old school. Looks like the big brother to the AE86 take a look below hehehe :duh:

burnyd
01-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Stock AllTracs are balls slow....

Like... 15.5 quarter mile. We'll need input from Burnyd to see what he ran in his MR2 on stock CT26 turbo....

rofl...ok lol...

on a stock alltrac I drove my stock ... stock alltrac.. nothing done to it to a 15.3 @ like god I wish I could rememebr it was so long ago...

my mr2 when I ran it almost stock with cat back exhaust.. I ran a 14.5... with a boost controller + gutted cat I went 13.60s all day long on walmart tires.

Now this al depends on what you really want.. I am 100% with mr2 have owned the following 3sgte cars...
alltrac
mr2
swapped celica

out of them all the mr2 turbo is my favorite.. the alltrac is unique yes but it is slow and very very heavy... its a great car if you are into celicas and want to get something turbo reliable and decently fast. You can drive it all year round too. Mr2s are great cars... fast reliable get great gas mileage everything... but there really not all year round vehicles... I hate driving mine in the winter/even when there is rain on the ground there way too tail happy.

The last time this thread was made it came down to its all about where you live.

Luni
01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Ive driven my MR2 through 4 winters now, and it has done better in the snow than any FWD car Ive ever owned.

Learn how to drive and get some decent tires on it if your MR2 doesnt work good in the snow.

Ill say MR2 over alltrac, because as silly as it sounds, the MR2 is easier to work on LOL.

And the MR2 is a faster car. The only time the alltrac is faster is in adverse weather.

MR2 vs alltrac on the dry, the MR2 is faster and handles better. MR2 has close to 500 lbs on the alltrac.

ty_44_69
01-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Well I would say MR2.
I could list every reason, many have already been mentioned above.
Personally I like owning a rare car.
In my area you see a celica a day, and a mr2 maybe 10 times a year, or if you live on the route that I drive you will see it almost everyday in the summer.
All depends what you want, and what you are willing to pay.

burnyd
01-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Ive driven my MR2 through 4 winters now, and it has done better in the snow than any FWD car Ive ever owned.

Learn how to drive and get some decent tires on it if your MR2 doesnt work good in the snow.

Ill say MR2 over alltrac, because as silly as it sounds, the MR2 is easier to work on LOL.

And the MR2 is a faster car. The only time the alltrac is faster is in adverse weather.

MR2 vs alltrac on the dry, the MR2 is faster and handles better. MR2 has close to 500 lbs on the alltrac.

you must have chains on your tires.. I dont see how the hell you drive it in the winter time.. I think this has been brought up a few thousand times... but if I cant drive it with the t-tops down its nto worth driving.

Cavanagh
01-05-2007, 08:57 AM
The last time this thread was made it came down to its all about where you live.
Hehe, that what i was gunna ask.... If you need a DD or an all year-round car, alltrac.

Fun, unpractial, more of a weekend car.....MR2

And damn, i want a 4WD honda wagon, i gotta start lookin :) .

trah
01-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Hehe, that what i was gunna ask.... If you need a DD or an all year-round car, alltrac.

Fun, unpractial, more of a weekend car.....MR2

And damn, i want a 4WD honda wagon, i gotta start lookin :) .

sorry about that i said lol but they only made the 4wd model in civic wagon model form around 84-86 i think lol. sorry about misleading info above. :wiggle:

Luni
01-06-2007, 04:36 AM
you must have chains on your tires.. I dont see how the hell you drive it in the winter time.. I think this has been brought up a few thousand times... but if I cant drive it with the t-tops down its nto worth driving.

Nope. No chains. Just decent allseason yokohama yk420s on it.

Seriously, I dont understand peoples problem with MR2s in the snow.

Mine is very well behaved unless I drive stupid.

Ive NEVER had a close call where I was out of control and could blame it on the car.

Either your tires suck ass, or you really dont know how to control your back end with your steering wheel and right foot. Period.

I mean Ive been driving an MR2 longer than most people who own them, and Im very experienced in mine, but still. Borinal is a total fucking noob to them, his has more power than mine, bigger tires, and his car STILL does great in the snow. In fact its snowy on the roads around here, he has a motor mount problem that makes his car have a tendancy to get asshappy toward the left side of the road (so it generates yaw that twists the car to the left), and it STILL behaves itself as long as Im out of the boost.

Dont know what else to say.

not12listen
01-06-2007, 07:56 AM
ah well. i'll chime in.

i've driven more than a few MKI mr2s, a handful of MKII mr2s, and i own an st165.

for pure handling, the MKI mr2 wins. its a freakin go-kart. dirt cheap, not too bad to work on, SUPERB gas mileage, and with the NA no need to worry about all the forced induction bull crap.

the supercharged MKI MR2 is the same as the NA mr2, but with a bit more weight in the rear, and a whole lot more power. i still prefer the NA MKI MR2. :)

for comfortable fast car would be the turbo MKII MR2. cushy ride (interior wise), solid and stable handling, relatively affordable. just not my personal style.

for driving in weather that is ANYTHING but ideal, the alltrac wins. the alltrac is nose heavy, VERY NOSE HEAVY. finding GOOD suspension is somewhat of a pain. working on the engine is a true exercise in the art of patience, body contortion and knuckle thickness.

for 1/4 mile, the turbo MKII MR2 wins.
for canyons, the NA MKI MR2 wins.
for ANYTHING other than dry weather driving, the alltrac wins.

zmile06
01-07-2007, 01:38 AM
They both have the 3sgte engine, what i want to know what can you do in the 1/4 mile with the alltrac without opening the engine up?

2kSnakEater
01-07-2007, 06:16 AM
If your looking for 1/4 speed the all-trac would be the worst choice, I think without opening up the engine but with bigger injectors, a bigger turbo, fuel pump and a stand alone ecu you could hit 13 something, maybe even high 12s. Your clutch might not last more than 2 or 3 lauches and the reliability would be questionable but you could do those 1/4 times. The MR2 would be the best out of those options for the 1/4 mile.

zmile06
01-07-2007, 02:40 PM
ya but the alltrac could be used as a daily driver and a 1/4 beast. And putting in tougher clutch isnt a huge deal. an Mr2 turbo has a fish tail tendacy, and i live in ohio so we have 3 or so months of snow so im not sure it would be a wise choice.

burnyd
01-07-2007, 03:39 PM
They both have the 3sgte engine, what i want to know what can you do in the 1/4 mile with the alltrac without opening the engine up?

are you talking stock... as in nothing done? I ran 15.3... or are you talking bigger turbo just unopened motor? The most your going to make on stock cams is around 350hp... which is about maybe 260-270ishwhp which would get you into the high 12s.

burnyd
01-07-2007, 03:40 PM
ya but the alltrac could be used as a daily driver and a 1/4 beast. And putting in tougher clutch isnt a huge deal. an Mr2 turbo has a fish tail tendacy, and i live in ohio so we have 3 or so months of snow so im not sure it would be a wise choice.

I live in pittsburgh its snowed a total of 1/2 a day this year lol..... get an mr2. An alltrac is expensive to make fast no lie.

Idiot Stick
01-07-2007, 03:54 PM
word. I live in Eastern Canada...it snowed 4 times? The roads were bad for maybe 2 weeks max.

But the SMARTEST thing to do, though it will take a good bit of time...get a car you can drive every day. FWD or AWD, doesnt matter. After you get that paid off then look into an MR2. Thats what i am going to do, and this way i dont have to worry about downtime and not being able to drive anywhere when I plan to work on the 2.

Only downside to this is the doubletime insurance. :\

zmile06
01-07-2007, 05:12 PM
EH i have a 93 toyota celica st that i have poured over 1,500 in just for misc tune ups and stuff. I got rear ended like 5 months ago by a white trash with no insurance sued her and she is refusing to pay. But anyways i plan on keeping the celica i have and probable buying a Mr2.

Only problem im worired about is the Mr2 fishtailing, i havent had any problems with my celica doing that but i drove a volvo 740 and took turns like i do in my celica and the thing did a 160 in the middle of the intersection. Luckily there were no cars on the street...

I just dont want to have a mr2 turbo and not be able to take turns like i do in my celica that would defeat the purpose of having a sports car.

2kSnakEater
01-07-2007, 05:16 PM
to keep a rwd car from fishtailing you have to negotiate your foot with the gas pedal, and bigger tires help ALOT. The Trans Am sucked with the stock 245/50s so I went with 315/30 and they friggin rock!

zmile06
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
to keep a rwd car from fishtailing you have to negotiate your foot with the gas pedal, and bigger tires help ALOT. The Trans Am sucked with the stock 245/50s so I went with 315/30 and they friggin rock!

im riding on low profile 17's and they do excellent, i dont have any experince with RWD cars so when i buy the Mr2 its going to be like learning to drive all over again, except with a 7k car lol.

What brand do you use? I have only had falken but i heard there are some nice new brands popping up.

Idiot Stick
01-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Only problem im worired about is the Mr2 fishtailing, i havent had any problems with my celica doing that

Thats because it has to be icy/snowy/ebrake on turn/rain coated road + 130kmph conditions for a FWD car to fishtail.

zmile06
01-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Thats because it has to be icy/snowy/ebrake on turn/rain coated road + 130kmph conditions for a FWD car to fishtail.

I fish tailed a 740 volvo going 25 miles per hour on rain. But i think its because the car cant take turns worth crap it shifts all its weigh when you turn.

VikingJZ
01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Some people think that AWD and 4x4 are the best. They are in a lot of cases, but nothing does well on ice.

If you slide...you slide. It doesn't matter how many wheels are receiving power.

My uncle slid his 2000 Durango into a ditch because he thought he was Superman with 4X4.

Direct quote: "I've got 4x4, it doesn't matter."

Just be careful with whatever you get, and MAKE SURE you have proper equipment.

Learn to handle both types of cars well, as it is an important asset.

2kSnakEater
01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
I have Pirelli 315/30/ZR18 on the rear of the T/A, so far they have been 300 times better than the stock 245, tire spin was reduced to only when I want them to spin (the stock ones spun no matter what I did) not manny tire manufacturers make such a wide tire, I will try Michelin after the pirellis are worn down.